Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights, anyone try these?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Does any other vehicle use the weird headlight size that the Vanagon uses? 5.75x7.5 or whatever it is.

4x6 and 5x7 are common. I've thought about trying to make some set up with the space available by replacing both low and high beams. But I'm not confident it'll look better than round lights.

Rover headlights fit but only with custom fabrication of the mount. You can find them on eBay.eu but make sure you get them from left hand drive country.
So, fit only means they fit the grill. But people have done it so there's room for the back of the light around the driver's side but still requires fab work.
Best looking square setup in my opinion so I plan on having a go at it sometime, just for a fun project.
I wonder how these would do with some kind of LED bulbs inside ?? 🤔
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Custom fab is not an issue, but they just don't look like much of an improvement.

LED bulbs in stock headlights are a massive improvement over stock. I just wish there was something similar to all the 5.75" and 7" round LED headlights.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Considering these led headlights...
They look almost normal, have halos for DRL and additional blinker function which I like.
Probably everyone here who's swapped to led headlights have posted about them but I haven't seen anyone bring these up.
But if anyone has got them please chime in ! 🙂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-7-inch-Black-Round-H...632-2357-0

One difficult thing about the led headlight thing is there seems to be several identical cheap knock offs of every style I see. So it's hard to know what is being sold. Price ranging from a few hundred to $30-$40 is also annoying. Lack of brand names too.

Should there be a sticky for led headlights ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

not quite the same:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764998&highlight=holley

as I said in that thread, my next set of lights will be the holley retro brights

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Should there be a sticky for led headlights ?

Probably won't be too useful. Aside from JW Speaker and Trucklites every other company is going to pop up and disappear too fast.
vanhelper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

We have a '90 Westfalia with the brighter 100/80 Watt rectangular halogens and one bulb has just burned out. I would be interested in anyone's experience with the Vanagain LED bulbs. In particular how sharp is the low beam cutoff? What about color temperature?
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
PIRATE wrote:
Just curious has any one used these? I was about to put the gowesty High power headlights in but this seems better

Do you think they can just plug in without a relay?

Install the gowesty relays and just put in the led bulbs to the sealed lenses?

LASFIT 9004/HB1 LED Headlight Kits-Flip COB Chips-60W 7600LM 6000K-Dual Hi/Lo Beam Bulbs (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H8VILDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GN6DAbWBX3FZY

The relays are needed for the original high wattage halogen bulbs where the upgrade was to go to 80/100w or 130/90w bulbs. These draw a lot of electricity so you needed to provide a better electrical power source for them.

Then after doing that you found out because they get HOT you melt your electrical connectors on the back of the bulb and you had to use ceramic ones.

You do not need the relays for LED bulbs.

If you want to be the one to experiment for us...
So far to date these LED bulbs to replace the original Halogen bulbs do light up, but they just do not provide the desired light because they cannot get exactly in the same "optical center" as the original bulbs.
What happens is they cannot project the same light quality because the light element is not in the same position as the original - the beam pattern is just off.

Ive had LED low beams for a few years. My hi beams were falking so I recently replaced them with LED too. And now I have intermittent no-headlight situation. ignition switch and headlight switchs are good. I do have the relays still from having hi amp halogens. Wonder if the LED headlights dont pull enough AMPS to properly activate the relasy every time.
I've checked and double checked all my wiring and cant find an issue, grounds are good (direct to body behind the lights. I wonder if I should remove the headlight relays now tht I'm all LED.
SAMBA?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: