Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights, anyone try these?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
What is the pattern like vs stock?

Here you go Dave. Not bad. van is about 30 feet from the door. I marked the center of the light beam, then pulled my wifes car up, and its pretty close. I thought they were high, but my driveway has a bit of an arch.
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Crazy (?) idea here: If the cheaper LEDs, like the one MichaelCamping installed, are fine but just not bright enough, can we put two pairs? It would look like a SA grille, but with all lights the same diameter. Anyone with basic photo imaging skills?
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

We will see how long they last...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I just received these today and installed them in my '85. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B376YOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I've done is a trip around the block with them so it's just my first impression. They are WAAAAAYYYYYY brighter than the stock headlights. I'm actually understating that. There's a larger difference in lighting between these and the stock headlights than there is between the stock headlights and having the stock headlights off and driving by moonlight during a 1/2 moon... The clarity and evenness of the light seems excellent. I have not had a chance to shine them on a wall and adjust the aim. It's too cold/windy/snowy for that tonight. My '91 has the relays, and brighter e-code H4's and these are much better lighting. Hopefully they last. The specs say 80,000 hours which if averaging 50 MPH is 400,000 miles. Razz At this point I am more than pleased, I'm amazed.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I just received these today and installed them in my '85. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B376YOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I've done is a trip around the block with them so it's just my first impression. They are WAAAAAYYYYYY brighter than the stock headlights. I'm actually understating that. There's a larger difference in lighting between these and the stock headlights than there is between the stock headlights and having the stock headlights off and driving by moonlight during a 1/2 moon... The clarity and evenness of the light seems excellent. I have not had a chance to shine them on a wall and adjust the aim. It's too cold/windy/snowy for that tonight. My '91 has the relays, and brighter e-code H4's and these are much better lighting. Hopefully they last. The specs say 80,000 hours which if averaging 50 MPH is 400,000 miles. Razz At this point I am more than pleased, I'm amazed.

Well said, in addition to how well they work, they have a glass lens. Theses are also chrome, not thenblacked out ones, so they dont take away the orginal look of the van

Waldo, did you make any adjustments after you installed them?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I haven't adjusted them yet. I will some time this week. I think they need to be aimed down a bit.

The ones I got are black and I like the look. I couldn't find the lumen ratings on the chrome ones you linked. Highest lumen output is the reason I went with the ones I got. Low beams are over 3X the lumen output of the stock low beams and yet lower wattage so no relays are needed. Incredibly easy upgrade. It was quicker and easier for me than swapping washer nozzles.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I haven't adjusted them yet. I will some time this week. I think they need to be aimed down a bit.

The ones I got are black and I like the look. I couldn't find the lumen ratings on the chrome ones you linked. Highest lumen output is the reason I went with the ones I got. Low beams are over 3X the lumen output of the stock low beams and yet lower wattage so no relays are needed. Incredibly easy upgrade. It was quicker and easier for me than swapping washer nozzles.

I was thinking the same thing, just lower them just a bit
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I'll do the adjustment process outlined here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The last thing I want to do is blind oncoming traffic.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems to simple to be real plug in play. I have a '86 westy so if I got a circular head light grill I could just buy these lamps and plug them in and be set?!

And headlight buckets of course
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

You also need the round 7" lens holders and retaining rings. There are two square grill tabs that need to have their rivets drilled out so they can be removed from the body. Then you need to splice in the proper plugs for the lights.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems to simple to be real plug in play. I have a '86 westy so if I got a circular head light grill I could just buy these lamps and plug them in and be set?!

And headlight buckets of course

Once you do what Zeitgeist said, its plug and run them. 10 mins is all it took me. Thats including removing and re-installing the grill
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
dobryan wrote:
What is the pattern like vs stock?

Here you go Dave. Not bad. van is about 30 feet from the door. I marked the center of the light beam, then pulled my wifes car up, and its pretty close. I thought they were high, but my driveway has a bit of an arch.
[img]
[/img]

My first reaction to this photo is that the headlights are aimed high. Knowing the car was isn’t level helps but it’d be interesting to know how they’re aimed using the Daniel stern aiming instructions.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

For the '85 and earlier with the 7" round headlights it is a 10 minute swap that is as easy as swapping the two stock headlights. The wiring connection on the new replacement headlights is correct. No mods, no splicing.

For the '86+ that have the square headlights it is a bit more involved as Zeitgeist13 mentioned.

The headlights I got also came with two pigtail adapters to adapt to an oval connector (h13) which is not correct for the later vanagon, but the adapters provide the correct connectors which could be used for splicing into the late van. Like this:

Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Bit of a cross-forum post, but we have a 77 Bay Window and converted from stock 7" round headlights to 7" LED units - Truck-Lite 27027C. Massive difference. I love them. They aren't budget lights, but have/are coming down in price too.

It really is a night and day difference - far brighter, great light spread, excellent beam cut-off, and the high beams - oh the high beams!! Cannons of light. I can see so much more so much better. Ditches? Before, they were dark. Now, illuminated. Much easier to see critters, etc.

Install? I did it in a parking lot at night. 20 minutes as I was being careful and had never delved into the light assemblies on the bus. So easy.

Highly recommend the upgrade... great to see folks sharing pics and experiences of the budget lights too - seems like some good options available.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

heidi85ho wrote:
Pricey.....
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehic...gLg0_D_BwE

Also curious to know if anyone has tried these rectangular ones and if so, what kinda results can be expected and what mods are needed. I have the GW HP relay kit that I had planned on installing in the coming weeks, but if this is an even better (brighter) option, I could be swayed.... Thx.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
It really is a night and day difference -

I see what you did there. Well played, sir.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
heidi85ho wrote:
Pricey.....

Also curious to know if anyone has tried these rectangular ones and if so, what kinda results can be expected and what mods are needed. I have the GW HP relay kit that I had planned on installing in the coming weeks, but if this is an even better (brighter) option, I could be swayed.... Thx.

I have not tried them but suspect based on the lumen rating that they are not even as bright as the stock headlights. For perspective, the 7" rounds that I installed have 3.5X the lumen output of those on low beam and 5X the lumen output on high beams. The pair I bought cost less than one of those. Even after buying the round grill and buckets, you still might come out ahead for cost. The rounds also look a lot better than the square headlights. Razz
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
coqwesty wrote:
heidi85ho wrote:
Pricey.....

I have not tried them but suspect based on the lumen rating that they are not even as bright as the stock headlights. For perspective, the 7" rounds that I installed have 3.5X the lumen output of those on low beam and 5X the lumen output on high beams. The pair I bought cost less than one of those. Even after buying the round grill and buckets, you still might come out ahead for cost. The rounds also look a lot better than the square headlights. Razz

Perfect - many thanks. I will proceed with the GW relay for now and continue to 'monitor' the LED landscape as quality continues to increase and prices continue to decrease.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I got the headlights adjusted per the Daniel Stern aiming instructions posted above. It was very easy to adjust. I aimed them a little lower than specified simply because mine are so bright. At this point I couldn't be more pleased with the upgrade. The lighting is fantastic on low or high beams. Excellent clear even light. The bang for buck on this upgrade is really remarkable. The quality of light went from horrible (stock) to the best of any car I've driven with a cost below $100, 10 minutes of install, and 15 minutes of adjustment. Highly recommended.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Waldo........yes they are remarkable for under $100. I have had them in now for close to a year and no issues...fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: