Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Great thread! I've enjoyed following along. Nice to see a bus brought back to life to such a high standard. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Absolutely stunning! Nice work man! I can't wait to see all the updates from the upcoming trips.

Thanks! I appreciate the support!
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Looks very nice! have you had the bus on the dyno yet?

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Great thread! I've enjoyed following along. Nice to see a bus brought back to life to such a high standard. Wink

Thanks for the comments! I wouldn't want to let anyone down around here with all the information at hand from those who came before me.

You know, I had it broke down in my mind being Phase 1 being everything motor and mechanical that makes it go and stop, Phase 2 was body and interior refresh that I could tackle while motor was getting worked and now that those are together I consider Phase 3 to be anything that waited or cosmetic or anything that breaks along the way.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

One of the things I took care of this winter was the table I bought from Bus Depot. It wasn't high on the list but I will be needing one, so I picked it up a while ago. The labor involved with constructing the piece from scratch and the cleanup was well worth the price and I didn't have the hardware anyway.

When it arrived, I was rather pleased with the construction and overall quality although I knew the underside was going to need some attention. The wood underneath was raw and it started to pick up dirty fingerprints.

Not wanting to break my momentum, I had it spread out for about a week while I sanded, stained and cleared it to match my interior better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it looks way more authentic now and matches a lot better as well as having a layer of protection that will wipe down when it get dirty. Little simple things like this really add up over time and nicer to have the products on the piece that drying out on my shelf in the garage.

The buddy seat will be the last piece to get into, shouldn't be a problem, and actually probably kind of fun to work over.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
Looks very nice! have you had the bus on the dyno yet?

Ha, No, would be nice to know its stats! I would have to find someone competent though. I still have a punch list I'm working on and doing the gauges right now. Still have that red ground strap to swap, Rolling Eyes , stuff like that.

Last winter I went through 15 gal of kerosine warming up my garage enough to work in the engine compartment and systems. I'm not willing to do that right now and saving a can for emergencies. I have just been waiting out this bitter season until it's tolerable and can open up the big doors. I'll be getting after it again in earnest. Kind of why I had the time to invest here on this thread lately.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

It's been quite cold lately. My best VW update is some fun time with G man. This guy is hardcore into Legos, so we got him this set for Christmas and we sat down one snowy day and assembled it together.

I would help him by sorting and hunting some pieces and he assembled them from the instructions. Took us about 8 hours, with no breaks! He started complaining about a sore neck and when I suggested we take a break, he just wasn't having it! Demanding my complete attention too, wouldn't even let me check my phone texts! Well, I guess he's like his Dad, I always want to complete what I started or I just don't feel right.

It was fun building a Bus together, almost like the real thing! I feel this is building the right temperament and a connection to each other and an appreciation of these vehicles.

I guess it's working. Cat showed me this piece of schoolwork where he chose to talk about the Lego Bus. I think I'm getting through! Looks like a typical bus man to me! I thought I would share because I thought it related to the VW lifestyle at our house and thought it pretty cute.

Talk and prep is bubbling for a spring outing in the Westy, updates soon!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Ducked out to the garage to see about fitting some easy parts. Ha! I guess nothing comes easy with a bus and the ceiling interior sill is no joke.

My OG piece was really and eye sore all warped and wavy and after I had worked my cabinets and things it is about all I have left, accept repairing or replacing that broken zipper on one of the upper bunk cushions.

I found a repo piece on NLAVW and thought I would get the ceiling trim piece coming this way. I think 60 bucks with shipping. I don't mind spending a few bucks on the bus here and there, feels good actually. It has been sitting out in the bus and I felt I could slip it on while everyone still slept.

The OG piece really didn't want to come off and it had warped in a way that covered up access to two of the mounting screws. Who would have thought I needed eye protection here! I grabbed at the piece with some players and the plastic exploded shooting tiny pieces of crispy plastic all over the bus. Mildly irritated, it takes a certain level of patients and a calm approach before I even begin a project on the bus and I just cleaned it up and took a few deep breaths. Man, I really had to tug to get this piece off. It's really wedged between headliner and body along the back.

Once the OG piece was off I compared it to the new piece side by side. I wondered if I would need to cut it down, but the old piece had apparently shrunk up that much.

I was checking out the new piece and trying to get a game plan on how to get the holes drilled out right and noticed that the strip has two edges that look to clip over the body. The wider edge to go over the front lip and the small one to wrap around the back of the body and slipping between the headliner piece and the metal of the body. This piece would have likely gone on the body first before the headliner or any other interior pieces are installed, and we know I'm not about to do that so I'm scratching my head wondering if I can get the piece wedged between all this material after the fact.

It's going to have to flex a bit to get on no matter what and with a little bit of pulling back on the wide lip, it cracks right off. I didn't pull on it hard, believe me. It was quite brittle and I pulled the whole lip right off. Shocked

Well, I thought, that's no good. I then went to just see if I could salvage the piece. I set out to drill the holes and see if I could get the back to fit and realize the whole pice is basically brittle and its cracking up before my eyes. I don't believe that if the bus was just a body and this was all I was installing, that it would have flexed enough to get both edges over the body without breaking.

The thin lip just cracks right off too, with very little pressure and I go to cleaning up the edge with a razor blade. What do I have to lose now.

The 4 mounting screws pretty much hold the strip up in place and at a casual glance, it looks like its mounted proper, but I know. I think it looks better than what I had and will just run it this way until I come up with a better idea. Maybe make a piece out of the material that goes along the sides above the windows, of even cover it with plaid or laminate. Frankly, the green body paint didn't look that bad if I wanted to run it bare. I suspect that when someone goes to get out of the bus from the bench they will naturally grab there and pull it down and maybe crack what is left and it's not attached there with the lip missing and I'm not going to glue the part to my bus or anything silly like that.

white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Hey man...looks great! The interior looks amazing!

I literally did this same thing yesterday. My old one was a little beat, but not too bad. Some warps etc. First attempt was a no-go. I left it out in the sun for a while, and started messing with some other things. Once she had warmed up, it was easier getting it on. Nevertheless it was still a pain. I put the little side on first and used a 90* dental pick style tool to pull the long side over the lip.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Hey man...looks great! The interior looks amazing!

I literally did this same thing yesterday. My old one was a little beat, but not too bad. Some warps etc. First attempt was a no-go. I left it out in the sun for a while, and started messing with some other things. Once she had warmed up, it was easier getting it on. Nevertheless it was still a pain. I put the little side on first and used a 90* dental pick style tool to pull the long side over the lip.

Ugh! That makes it even more maddening. I'm happy for your success, but I don't feel heating my piece up would have helped. Maybe. I won't be buying another one from that source. Where did you get yours?
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Man for 60 bux you got jipped, but atleast you made the most of what you had to work with.

If it were me, I would send a polite email to them and let them know what happened. Not saying you are looking for a refund, but that the piece is brittle.

Good to see updates. Do you have a thread for the other bus yet? If so, throw a link in your sig. I'd love to follow it as well.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

Ugh! That makes it even more maddening. I'm happy for your success, but I don't feel heating my piece up would have helped. Maybe. I won't be buying another one from that source. Where did you get yours?

It's the original. It most certainly isn't perfect either! I just went out to take a couple of pictures for you, so that you could see what it looks like:

I had been battling myself over how I was going to handle the interior. I've decided that I do not want to completely re-do everything. It's in pretty good condition, all things considered and I kinda want to leave the used/historical appearance in mine. Don't get me wrong, everything is getting cleaned up, just not replaced. As you can see, I've still got plenty of cleaning left to do. Laughing

I know that might not sit well with everyone, but I kinda wanted to leave a little bit of the history in the vehicle, at least for the time being.

Anyhow, I hope the pics are useful! Cool
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

It's the original. It most certainly isn't perfect either! I just went out to take a couple of pictures for you, so that you could see what it looks like:

I had been battling myself over how I was going to handle the interior. I've decided that I do not want to completely re-do everything. It's in pretty good condition, all things considered and I kinda want to leave the used/historical appearance in mine. Don't get me wrong, everything is getting cleaned up, just not replaced. As you can see, I've still got plenty of cleaning left to do. Laughing

I know that might not sit well with everyone, but I kinda wanted to leave a little bit of the history in the vehicle, at least for the time being.

Anyhow, I hope the pics are useful! Cool

Right on. That makes since. I can see an OG one being made of better material. I’ll gave to see if I can source an old one. I could totally live with one that looks like yours and I feel your spot on with keeping some of the originality on your bus. Hey, thanks for the posts and picture.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

Right on. That makes since. I can see an OG one being made of better material. I’ll gave to see if I can source an old one. I could totally live with one that looks like yours and I feel your spot on with keeping some of the originality on your bus. Hey, thanks for the posts and picture.

No worries bro!

Not sure if you've considered it, buy you might check with Ken:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=51856

He might have one. He has always treated me fairly!

Later
a.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I won't be buying another one from that source.

Please share the source so others benefit from your experience.
(sold - but not forgotten)
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I found a repo piece on NLAVW and thought I would get the ceiling trim piece coming this way. I think 60 bucks with shipping.

It's a shame, Adam at NLAVW has been really good to me. He'd gone above and beyond to sort out some problems I had with interior panels and panel clips.

WildIdea - have you given them some feedback?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
I found a repo piece on NLAVW and thought I would get the ceiling trim piece coming this way. I think 60 bucks with shipping.

It's a shame, Adam at NLAVW has been really good to me. He'd gone above and beyond to sort out some problems I had with interior panels and panel clips.

WildIdea - have you given them some feedback?

I vacillated on if I should drop the supplier name or not. I figured why not. It's not a review of the company, just that piece. Many threads in here that I've learned from others what is solid and what not to buy.

My feedback is that the piece was really dried out. Not worth my time worrying about and Easy for me to move on.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

Sorry - I missed that reference. Embarassed
(sold - but not forgotten)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Adam is the only person who is reproducing these. Sorry to hear about your experience. Jon aka Eche installed his with no issues. But it was in a heated garage. My experience with plastic is that it needs to be warmed up. I like using really hot tap water. The original ones almost always look like your original one.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:

Good to see updates. Do you have a thread for the other bus yet? If so, throw a link in your sig. I'd love to follow it as well.

Thanks Chochobeef,

You know, I haven't started a thread about the Split yet, and I'm not thinking I will. Like this 77 Westy, many folks have already traveled that road. A 65 SWR Walkthrough Standard is about as average as my Sage Green Westy. Truthfully, it's a mix of it being a little intimidating hanging yourself out over there so I'm thinking I'll just keep this one for me. Maybe force feed updates to my Dad and the few buddies helping me.

I will say though that some highlights are that I managed to get the swap meet special engine it came with operable. It needed a severe oil leak identified and a fan belt. Turned out to be a generator that was too long and impeded proper belt alignment and would just twist them up. I happened to have had a shorter generator given to me by a dude I know just days prior. He was like "I hear your into VW now" and cleaned house. The leak was a blown in valve cover gasket is all. I broke down all the tin and welded some cracks and J tubes then rebuilt the carb. Changed the main seal one day. All on text messages from Brian while we were doing the Type 4. I think to keep me out of his hair! Kevin and I got it installed together and I drove it the rest of the summer with it's last tour a trunk or treat for halloween out the cargo doors. Then to Kevin's it went......

Tires, shocks, axles greased, steering dampener and lights got worked.

I called on a mint OG Mesh Grey ⅔ middle bench on the classifieds from a dude in Tampa who also had the rear bench and 7 interior panels in Mesh. I bought them all in one phone call. Said people kept lowballing the middle bench and gave me a sweet deal on the other goods because I stepped up. Shipping was an ordeal, but he was great to work with. Thanks. The OG rear cargo uppers and OG Kicks came off the classifieds out of CA. Lower rear cargo panels free at Denver swap that summer.

I couldn't put the new interior in over the rusty rockers, so ordered the bottom foot of metal from Klassic Fab and have been welding the patch panels in steadily since around the first of the year. Kevin let me put her in his garage because mine is attached to the house and that mess would surly migrate inside and his space is really better equipped for that task. One of his buses is chilling at my house this winter. Started with the front floor removal and worked through all the pedal linkages and steering column. Learned how to take off a steering wheel and had to source the right puller. I'm up to my neck in sheet metal work I've never done, but its working out. I have new metal on from A pilar to front of rear wheel on passenger side. Thinking cargo floor next......then long wall....then back to the front floor I started with. There are already some great threads on these repairs.

Simultaneously reupholstering the two front seats in WW Mesh Grey. Frames needed work. Steering column and pedal assemblies. Brian's working on prototype front disk break and dual master cylinder adaptors.

I was thinking of trying to refresh my steering wheel but decided it was a better wall hanger. Koch's sent me a recast beauty the other day. Will be great to install and hold when it's time. Until then, its just sitting on my desk looking great.

I'm sitting on a ton of small parts and bolts. New popout window rubber. My headliner is almost perfect for some weird reason, but have material on hand to do behind windows. It's apparent, I will need to get a leaky fuel sender sealed, wipers, and some pop out metal attention. It's all the same story. I buy a box of stuff from whoever supplier and at lest 20% goes in a box of unusable junk and then maybe some gets broken shipping or installing and reordered. It's typical and I can accept it as part of the game. Maybe I'm getting frustrated with some of that. Some of these pasts are obviously totally junk and not usable and they send them anyway. I can accept something that needs to be worked to fit and I can take some blame too, but I don't feel I'm terrible at this. It's important for me to be patient and a master of my emotions around the bus, to keep it squarely in the FUN zone, so I let a lot of it go. Come to think of it Tattoo suppliers are about the same. You have to know what's good to buy form who and that's just time tested experience.

My Buddy and I bought a parts Ghia together the other day. Taking more action to source OG parts from local sources. Picking up the phone with credit card isn't always a hit. He's interested in the beam with front disk breaks that he can upgrade on his Ghia. I may use the engine for this bus. Brian thinks it could be a great piece to walk me through a rebuild on. There is 3-4 of us guys and Brian thought about an engine club, where we meet once a week and show and tell what were doing and experiencing as we build our engines. I'm for that!

So that's about it. I have come to the conclusion that the Split is a little easier to work on than the Bay. Just not really as much going on design wise when you compare them. Easy doors, half the wiring, etc, low tech. I like that, but it's the parts sourcing that is the tough part. Heck, I joke that I'm glad I don't have more than 11 windows! With window mania, I think an un cut standard will be something to see someday. I also think the Westy was a great ice breaker for me although somedays I feel just cut out for Legos Laughing .

That's the 65 thread! You'll probably simply see me posting Red in random photo threads like cool bus pics or buses in the snow, etc. I don't think I have another build thread in me at the moment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 33

Jump to: