Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

As always, stoked to read your updates. Its kinda nice to see the beginnings of the fall season taking place, somewhere in the USA. It is still sweltering in Florida, and it almost makes it too difficult to get a lot done. However, I must also admit that I don't mind looking at the snow from afar. Laughing

BTW, those are some sick tie dyes!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
As always, stoked to read your updates. Its kinda nice to see the beginnings of the fall season taking place, somewhere in the USA. It is still sweltering in Florida, and it almost makes it too difficult to get a lot done. However, I must also admit that I don't mind looking at the snow from afar. Laughing

BTW, those are some sick tie dyes!

Thanks white74westy, I found out this summer it can be too hot and muggy in the garage to sand filler. Heated garages are the goal here not air conditioned. I was getting my 65 metal patches blended and my body would burst out in sweat in about 20 min and the humidity from the air or me both would clog up the sandpaper. My mask would just be too hard to breath through and I would give up when I sweat trough my clothes within the hour.

Funny though as I'm a regular every early January in Orlando at the largest coin show in the world (FUN Florida United Nusmistmatist). Then I head to Jupiter to try fishing with my buddy Tom, who I just showed in the thread while he was here at Sturgis. Usually in 4-5 foot winter waves that have me green as a goblin. Always says it's flat as glass in the summer...But more than once I came down to the show to get to the winter warmth and sunshine to have it a rainy 30 degrees in Florida. News showed everyone worried about the crops and hosing them with sprinklers to save them and lizards falling from trees and seeing it was 70 degrees at home for the week. It must be me, because it seems to happen every time. Sorry Sad

Thanks for checking in, your bus is Cherry! Keep it up. I want to hear tales...
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Fun story and it’s good to see you’re out enjoying the bus. Glad to see you were mixing with the cowboys and enjoying yourselves. There’s a lot of folks that love these old busses - all from different backgrounds, all with a different story to tell.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for always sharing!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
LouInSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing. I just bought a 76 Westy just like this. Just got it running, had to learn all about the L Jetronic EFI system pretty quickly. Will be pulling the top for paint and a new tent next.

The only thing that makes me nervous about yours is that rust under the front window. Having repaired a few of these, I'm looking at that sitting in the snow and screaming internally "get some rust converter on that and paint it!" Smile

The Previous owner of my Westy took a grinder to the paint and tried to give it a "patina" look, smh. So you can imagine how badly I want to get this thing repainted right now Smile Luckily I'm in SoCal so we don't get much rain, so it's okay for now.

Keep the updates coming , and I really wish you would have done a thread on that Splitty, I have a 61 just sitting waiting to be restored so I could always use some more motivation. That's my next project Smile

Excellent job on this renovation!
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

That’s awesome....

Do you have any of the tapestries left? My daughter would love one.

Bill

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
Fun story and it’s good to see you’re out enjoying the bus. Glad to see you were mixing with the cowboys and enjoying yourselves. There’s a lot of folks that love these old busses - all from different backgrounds, all with a different story to tell.

I thought about the statement all week. About mixing with cowboys. I guess it doesnt seem that weird to me. Its cowboys And indians here to. Indian country. The first clash of cultures is poignant here still and the reconciliation we strive for today. I can close gates, fix fence and handle livestock with the best of them as well as know the proper sweat lodge etiquette. The hills mentality is changing for the better in a more accepting and inclusive tolerance and understanding of each other. Its just so exhausting to be at odds everyone here seems to just have relaxed some and focus on the positives.

Like the tie dyes and buses lets say. Sure, its a stereo type to marry the two. In the 80s and 90s it surely put a target on your back with the police. Maybe not on the coasts but out here in the center it did. I can't tell you how many times I got puled over and sniffed. I didn't care then, it was a way to identify with my tribe of sorts. I cleaned up some over the years blending in and now I'm back to being my true self. Again, not afraid of what people think, but frankly I don't think I'm in any danger from the police or a negative reaction from redneck conservatives now. I'm finding that they too really want to wave the flag and that the connotations are now different. Its celebrated to a point to just be whatever you are.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

LouInSD wrote:
Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing. I just bought a 76 Westy just like this. Just got it running, had to learn all about the L Jetronic EFI system pretty quickly. Will be pulling the top for paint and a new tent next.

The only thing that makes me nervous about yours is that rust under the front window. Having repaired a few of these, I'm looking at that sitting in the snow and screaming internally "get some rust converter on that and paint it!" Smile

The Previous owner of my Westy took a grinder to the paint and tried to give it a "patina" look, smh. So you can imagine how badly I want to get this thing repainted right now Smile Luckily I'm in SoCal so we don't get much rain, so it's okay for now.

Keep the updates coming , and I really wish you would have done a thread on that Splitty, I have a 61 just sitting waiting to be restored so I could always use some more motivation. That's my next project Smile

Excellent job on this renovation!

Thanks for the response,

I have to say, I have put the bus under the rain protocol motorcycling has taught me. Basically, I don't leave the house in it but if I get caught in it I don't bitch out over it. Unless I'm on a trip then you just go with whatever your given weather wise. The windscreen was replaced and the lower lip treated on prob page 4-5 of the thread.

My bus is garaged year round and I minimize the exposure to the elements, but I'm not afraid to get it wet. It's not gonna rust from here in my lifetime. I will do my best but I'm the one that saved her and given her a second life and I have to think that was so I could enjoy it, that she could delight me and a no BS miracle were in each others life, not be hired to be a museum curator. This bus in infinitely rebuildable and actually, the more I fix the more confident I am that I could fix her again. I don't care if my kids chip the laminate as thats can be replaced. If rust gets bad, I'll cut it out, even a rear end hit could be rebuilt as much as I worry about a texter not breaking behind me in time.

I prob should do a build thread on my split, but there are several going now already showcasing the same efforts. Here is a test of what I have been doing there. I could say more but this thread is about the Westy. Their stories tangle though and my Westy gave me the nerve to cut up this classic. Who here said if you haven't bled on it you haven't worked on it? or Nice bus! but if you didn't do it yourself, no bragging.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks everyone for the support and backing as we all tackle projects that would baffle us on our own.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

yellowCOwesty wrote:
That’s awesome....

Do you have any of the tapestries left? My daughter would love one.

Bill

Thanks for checking in! PM if you want.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Awesome, thanks for always sharing!

Thanks! I also dig your input on the forum. We may bump not each other at VW on the green or someplace in CO? I'd recognize your bus for sure.
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

You thread is very inspirational! Thank you!

Any idea if he has his own thread somewhere? I really like those rims, trying to figure out what they’re called...
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:

Any idea if he has his own thread somewhere? I really like those rims, trying to figure out what they’re called...

Right on, Thanks!

Brian say, his rims brand is American racing wheels and “Touque Thrust” is the model. Rear was redrilled to Chevy pattern, front has hybrid spindles in Chevy pattern. For more info, PM.

Thanks for checking in and the comments, it’s been a great time and I enjoy sharing on the Samba. Peace.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
dumptuck wrote:

Right on, Thanks!

Brian say, his rims brand is American racing wheels and “Touque Thrust” is the model. Rear was redrilled to Chevy pattern, front has hybrid spindles in Chevy pattern. For more info, PM.

Thanks for checking in and the comments, it’s been a great time and I enjoy sharing on the Samba. Peace.

Interesting I was guessing they were chevy pattern TT wheels. Very cool, his bus sits perfectly. What is his shop's name? (forgive me if you stated it before but I couldn't find it)

Fantastic thread. Loved following along seeing you enjoy yourself with the build. So great of you to take the time to share. Thank you!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

BYeaton wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
dumptuck wrote:

Right on, Thanks!

Interesting I was guessing they were chevy pattern TT wheels. Very cool, his bus sits perfectly. What is his shop's name? (forgive me if you stated it before but I couldn't find it)

Fantastic thread. Loved following along seeing you enjoy yourself with the build. So great of you to take the time to share. Thank you!

Brian isn’t a shop, he’s just a dude that’s into buses, bugs and fast backs that’s just like us, accept he’s a master machinist. I can’t sing his praises enough. He’s the man who made my type 4, that I could’t be happier with as well as the force behind Kevin’s limo bus Fiona, to name a few.

After he finished my build he started implementing his ideas for lowered buses. Please forgive me, Im learning the proper vernacular for chassis parts, but when I get over to his garage he shows me the project, his goal appears to be a front set of spindles for lowering that doesn’t cut up two OG sets, or any stock parts and allow for cheaper, readily available American wheels and break parts that are compatable on or VWs. His bus is the prototype tester. He’s always showing me this and that saying that when you draw up an idea in a program that’s nice but practical application requires some tweaking, such as clearancing something a millimeter or making another piece a touch thicker, etc.

He’s getting closer all the time. We don’t want to come off as a commercial in my thread but he’s hoping to have his website up by the end of the year.

This is the link to his Samba gallery if you want a sneak peak.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Brian_e

I have mentioned that we’re always going back and fourth with his position to lower my buses and me being just fine with them stock. I’ve just got so many other things like an engine for Red to think about. My Westy is cherry enough that I just won’t even consider changing a thing and again my split so stock and original I really don’t want to do it there either. We go back and fourth and kid each other that he can plow snow with his its so low and mine so high my kids need parachutes to exit, lol it’s all in fun. I don’t think his parts make any permanent changes, maybe tubs not sure. I do appreciate how level his sets, what a even stance it has.

His beam/spindle combo will bolt into splits and early and late bays.

This is it for that! I’m done talking about lowered buses on my thread Laughing but I must say, I’m getting the most out of my time here on TheSamba! Thanks guys.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
fun. I don’t think his parts make any permanent changes, maybe tubs not sure.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Cat requested a birthday bus cruise. We had a few photo opportunities. Nice cool air in the hills and we had a great time messing around with the dogs.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Woof woof woof ...dogs and Bays are just perfect together.

Hey...where’s my Huskie fix, Sanchius ?
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Nice work on the split screen, is it yours?
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Send some of that cooler weather this way please bro! We're so ready.

I actually got to take the bus out last weekend. We had a little "cool snap" I think the high was 76 degrees. The bus really enjoyed not laboring through 95% humidity and ambient temps in the 90's. She just seemed to drive a little differently...a little happier. Anyhow, it was a real joy! Spent about an hour and a half, driving down by the beach. Really looking forward to a little respite from the oppressive heat.

Cat and the pups look really happy! Cool Happy b-day Mrs. WildIdea!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Woof woof woof ...dogs and Bays are just perfect together.

Hey...where’s my Huskie fix, Sanchius ?

Thanks for checking in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 33

Jump to: