Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Great work. Love looking at the progress.

Thank you. I'm enjoying finding the time to post and talking about my bus!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Jim Hunter wrote:
Wow , great progress with no expense spared here Very Happy

I hope to have all the oil galleys cleaned and taped , you will be amazed if you see what is hiding there...

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I don't know about others, but I feel that for what I'm putting into my bus I couldn't even buy a new Ford Focus or the like and that type of car would depreciate overnight. Maybe equal cost to a new Harley even or a boat or recreational vehicle. I chose the Bus and with the family this age should be fun together. The bus will likely appreciate or at least hold value so I'm not nervous about having my money tied up in it. Thats the logical part I'm seeing.

I was talking to a dude the other day about buses and he said he drives a $1200 junky Subaru with 200k and would still easily spend $300 on a part for his non running bus. I agreed and we both had a good laugh. Thats my emotions talking.

It makes since on all levels. I might feel differently about it if this bus wasn't so preserved. Its just dried out and sprung. On the edge a little, but not oblivion, so I think its justified to go for it here. If say a finished bus was for sale and I just took off driving I wouldn't know much about it or its systems. Might be a way to go, but I wasn't looking when we bought this bus and one has to live with his choices. Already, performing the services myself and with friends and family is adding to the enjoyment of ownership. This one seems to be a good fit for me.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

My next adventure still involves the engine bay. I'm looking at the hole the Bosch computer makes when I take it out. I've tossed it in the FI box and now my gas tank compartment is open here. My plan is to make a removable patch panel that I can bolt on and remove if I so chose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe theres a better trick, but nothing beats a dirty finger and some tracing paper to get a rough idea of the hole.

At first, this looked like a simple flat spot that a rectangle and a few drilled holes would cover, but I soon realize there is some level changes going on and after scratching my head a little I come up with this two piece part.

I'm just looking to spot weld these two pieces together quickly. I don't want my welds to sit in the wrong spots so I cut in a few notches for them to go. This project is already taking more time than I was hoping, but it's typical for me to just go way too far fiddling with something like this. Measuring, grinding a little spot, etc. but it keeps getting a little better each time. Still, I'm constantly second guessing and questioning my sanity over this home made part and playing devils advocate with myself. Never the less, it fits and is starting to look like a passable piece.

Don't laugh, but there was some touch up paint in the bus. There was two cans of body color, one dry one liquid, and a can of wood stain, likely the stain that was used on the internal Westy wood panels that ruined them. Still, after 20 years, this can still has shakable paint in it and the label says contains Lead. Im thinking they don't put Lead in paint anymore in the US, maybe, I'll have to ask the supply shop, but I'm not looking to buy any paint just to cover my crappy home made patch piece. I open it and although settled a bit, stirs into a pretty decent even viscosity. Weird.

Its a pretty good match and I paint it on with a brush and it settles in pretty well. I know this job is getting more hoakey by the min, but on some level kinda kool being this stuff was in the bus all along.

Its going on the bus for now, and not too shabby. Not that I'm super proud of it, its serving a purpose. Let's see if I fixate on it in a week or two, that will tell me if its a success or not. Laughing

Over all, just less and less random unused pieces hanging out in the engine compartment should really show off the motor once it is in.

Now that I've been hanging out by this corner, I see it's needing some extra attention and a little love. The inner wheel well and rear corner looked to be warped upward from what would have to be a blown tire. It didn't look like a big deal when I was all starry eyed buying the bus, but now that the rear wheel is off, it looks pretty bad. Now I'll admit, I'm not a body man and have zero professional experience. I've never worked in a body shop or had the privilege to work with a master, but this looks like it should get pulled back out.

My plan was to get on it with a ratcheting tie down from several directions and while clicking it tap on it with a hammer. Sounds good on paper.

I run the strap under my break drum, around a support pole and onto the mag wheel on the car next to it. I think its neat when one vehicle helps another. I think of some scene in a Cars movie where if they could talk to and help each other, they would.

You know, This may actually work. Shocked

I really can't believe it myself. Yeah its not perfect, but its back to a basic shape and functional. Nothing I think needs cut out and replaced over.

The under side of the rear corner has some surface rust and will get treated, but its back heading in the right direction. This area is just such a tough spot to keep dry and likely bad on most buses, so I'll take this condition as a blessing and be grateful it isn't worse.

Overhead work is the worst,but my arms are just long enough for working here when I lay directly on my back. Still; I can get frustrated quick and have to take several breaks.

The wheel well needs dolled up while I'm at it so more cleaning and scrubbing ahead.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

So why are you plugging the ECU hole? Ditching the Ljet?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
So why are you plugging the ECU hole? Ditching the Ljet?

Yes.

I’m thinking that whatever is airborne that comes into my engine bay would eventually contaminate the electronic ends if they weren’t covered up with the big plug that covers them. I guess it’ll be safer in the FI box if a future owner wants to mess with it, but I never had it tested to see if it even works of not.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Love the ratchet strap method of straightening the crumpled mudguard out, looks like it worked well!

Your going great, keep at it! Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Are you throwing some carbs on your bus?
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Man, excellent photos! Keep 'em coming!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Are you throwing some carbs on your bus?

CarlosZ, Thanks for checking in!

Yes, we made the decision to run carbs. We are planning on doing more than throwing carbs on though, as the motor gets built back up.

But for now, Brian is neck deep in someone else's motor, so were amassing parts and getting things all lined out in between. His mantra is "just keep working on your bus, making it better" in the meantime, there is a whole litany of projects that make since to handle with the motor out. Most of what I'm showing is that for now. When I get updates from Brian, I'll post them between.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
Man, excellent photos! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks! I love talking about Buses! Posting is a nice break from working on Her.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

My personality or the way I achieve mental order and a sense of peace, seems to lean towards 100%ing a project before I move on. I've always liked to conquer a section, lock in the gain and proceed from there. Its tough for me to stop a project, start a new one and then come back to it later, unless its logical to do so.

So I stay on the Passenger side Rear Corner.

The body supply shop mixed up a quart of POR 15 and had it machine shaken. I'm really starting to like this stuff. I read some here like it some don't, I follow the directions of the two step prep products the best I can and get it on and let dry over night. Its hard as glass and needs sanding to paint over. I also poured it in a mason jar and keep the seal edge clean as I found that if any gets on the lid it will glue it shut and need a can opener to get to it again.

I def recommend using safety gear with this stuff. I wear gloves, long sleeves, a hat and eye protection. Even ear plugs. When I was upside down a drip hit me on the glasses and man that would have been catastrophic. This stuff is tough on skin and who know what would have happened with a POR 15c eye drop. I cringe thinking about it.

My younger self wouldn't have done any safety gear. At 20 I would be seen spraying paint with a cigarette in my mouth. I thought for a while I had bad luck getting colds when I painted until I put it together that my body aches were from the poisonous Enamel paint. Washing my spray guns in thinner with bare hands was a thing. I even famously painted my Shoveled frame, tank and fenders in the spare bedroom of an apartment with a box fan in the window. The clearcoat was so thick in permeated into my boombox and stained my Europe 72 disk and it skipped at Morning Dew from that day on. The first night Cathy spent the night at my place she gonged her head on one of the tanks in the pitch black living room, I had to flip the light on and inspect the tank. Just biker stuff I guess, but stupid and I'm glad she still married me.

Again, this stuff can't touch your skin.

I looked at that old paint again and just said heck with it. This old corner metal doesn't owe me anything and just painted it with a brush. Its a great match. The old paint is really gassed out and thick. Real gooey, I like it. It sort of self levels, and for here its just right. Now dry, I don't think it would come off or chip with a hammer blow. I'm not recommending anything here, just showing what I did and had to work with.

I get after the fender and it wipes down pretty good. I get after all the parts I can with a litany of different scrubbers and just love on it some. Kevin thinks its crazy I'm doing the wells, but I say someday when I'm following you in the hills and you turn down a muddy dirt road, I won't be behind you. We get a chuckle. Again, cleaning this stuff really gets me familiar with the parts. I shoe shine it with a touch of gear oil on a rag and it really does wonders to clean rubber.

All in all, I'm gonna move on here. I ordered some tail lights and a type of engine compartment ceiling panels, but this is all I have the time to share. Thanks for letting me share.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Looking good. Ive been enjoying reading your posts lately. Good job with your preservation.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Informative, with a charming narrative, thanks for sharing, and keep up the stellar work.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpls_ham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Great thread! It's nice to know that there are people nearby with the same addiction. Glad that you found a guy you can trust with your engine. I've been winging it up here "without a chute". Your focus is commendable.

1973 Beetle Convertable
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! These projects are starting to add up so I'm really motivated to keep making ground.

There was a bit of a dead end on my search for a new engine compartment ceiling panel. Seems on a few threads folks are making new ones themselves, but I don't have a pattern as mine was burnt to a crisp and fell out in pieces. There were some plastic ones on eBay I saw listed and I ordered them. The guy is really nice and helpful but had some questions about some specifics and corrected me on what to call it. I was referring to it as a headliner and he was the vernacular police on me saying he doesn't make headliners, etc. I said I was sorry, that I've been spending so much time in the engine 'Cave' that I really thought of it as a headliner after a while. I think he understood and gave me a pass. Engine compartment ceiling panels, got it!

I was looking to get them installed with the same type rivets I drilled out and the auto body shop had the sizes I needed. I was also wanting the panels to be flush to the support rails and have some sort of insulation between the engine and the Westy mattress above. I poked around and found this reflective lined insulation at the hardware store. I don't know if it's a solid choice, but if the factory thought it prudent to put masonite and fiberglass up there and these plastic panels are accepted material, I didn't think it would hurt to put this behind it. My rear mattress foam was really discolored, likely from heat not age.

I started with the engine access lid.

I didn't like how the edge showed the foam as white, so I rattle canned it first before I screwed it down.

That was easy, so onward to the other areas. Two separate pieces. The foam board 'almost' fit in the intake areas and I whittled out the edge seam and squished thinner and fit snugly into the rail designed to hold the panels. Then I pop riveted the new panels on top.

I really like how it turned out. A simple deal but still ate up some hours and some driving around really eats up the available free time, but driving around town for the bus is not a problem. Its all part of the equation. At this point my Dad needed his jack stands back for his car. He has a 37 Chevy he's had since he was 18 that he bought for 30 dollars. I've watched him work on that car my whole life. He says now that I'm working the bus over he's motivated to get after his some more and wants to change his tranny fluid and stuff. Right on. I don't really trust the jacks I have an get some beefy stands and a 4 ton shop jack from Harbor Freight.

I can't have one uncleaned wheel well, so I commit a session to that area. Less stuff falling in my eyes when we do the breaks the better. I really press the importance of having a clean machine. Early on, some guys really got this in my head how important it is when riding motorcycles. When you clean and wipe down your bike you find things that are lose and broken. Things get identified that can really hurt if not addresses. A clean machine equates to a trustworthy machine.

Brian sends me a picture and says your cooling boot is cracked, see if you can find one. Yessir! See, I learned there are two types and that mine is a 55 v, I think, HaHa. My sticker was worn off and I could barely make out a 5 on it it so I ordered that one.

The paint in the rear corner worked so well I scuffed up the black POR 15 on the top of the battery tray and painted that as well.

This area has been getting the treatment and its looking loads better than the driver side. I'm peeking at that next. Nest of wires, I see you!

Last edited by WildIdea on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

mpls_ham wrote:
Great thread! It's nice to know that there are people nearby with the same addiction. Glad that you found a guy you can trust with your engine. I've been winging it up here "without a chute". Your focus is commendable.

Heck yeah! You know there are tons of fun loving, peaceful people around here! Maybe our paths will cross in the real world someday. Keep an eye out for a lime green Westy blazing the Hills someday soon.
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks Jim!

I don't know about others, but I feel that for what I'm putting into my bus I couldn't even buy a new Ford Focus or the like and that type of car would depreciate overnight. Maybe equal cost to a new Harley even or a boat or recreational vehicle. I chose the Bus and with the family this age should be fun together. The bus will likely appreciate or at least hold value so I'm not nervous about having my money tied up in it. Thats the logical part I'm seeing.

I was talking to a dude the other day about buses and he said he drives a $1200 junky Subaru with 200k and would still easily spend $300 on a part for his non running bus. I agreed and we both had a good laugh. Thats my emotions talking.

It makes since on all levels. I might feel differently about it if this bus wasn't so preserved. Its just dried out and sprung. On the edge a little, but not oblivion, so I think its justified to go for it here. If say a finished bus was for sale and I just took off driving I wouldn't know much about it or its systems. Might be a way to go, but I wasn't looking when we bought this bus and one has to live with his choices. Already, performing the services myself and with friends and family is adding to the enjoyment of ownership. This one seems to be a good fit for me.

I hope to enjoy the bus as much as you can very soon Smile It will be a great fun with the family and dont worry it will hold its value pretty well Smile
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Jim Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Jim!

I hope to enjoy the bus as much as you can very soon Smile It will be a great fun with the family and dont worry it will hold its value pretty well Smile

Your so right Jim! Were really itching to be driving but such a long road ahead still. We def work a ton with the businesses and that comes first and finding the time is a battle, but I've decided that this bus is gonna happen no matter what and just press on. Thanks for checking in on the progress.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Here I thought I was getting close to having the engine bay polished up and done, but no way. I was referring to the gas tank as the diaper change and all pleased with myself to have the behind me, but I soon realized there is an even deeper darker level to the nether regions of the bus.

I reached out to Kevin and with a promise of a meal, he swings out to check on the progress and help with the Transaxle removal. See, the CV boots are torn and who knows the shape of the bearings so we plan to remove those. I was hoping to be able to clean the Trans unit in place, but decide there is no way to get at it sufficiently hanging up under there. I have the Axle bolt heads clean and the Trans fluid dropped when he gets to my place.

With the axles off I try to remember to get some pics, but Kev works fast and I'm handing him sockets and supply from outside the bus.

He's a strong dude and drops it on his chest and just wiggles out enough for me to grab a piece and haul it out.

Theres a lot going on under here I'm not familiar with, but soon will be. Over all, not too bad.

So we go inside and get the meal on and evaluate. The fluid looked good inside, so that is a plus. The trans is likely fine inside. Nothing looking rotted on it. Starter finish looks rough but thats really all.

One of the hanger boots is torn in two, so get those on the list and the clutch cable tube is totally roached an impacted with sand and road grime. All in all not to bad. I'm glad its out so we can address the issues and now there is tons of extra space to deal with even more issues, like the shifting linkages and the heater lines etc.

We get back out in the garage and disassemble the axles. Having 4 hands on those slippery guys really helps. Kev 's done loads of them and walks me through the service. I'll say it again here, having this guy involved has really made a difference. I can't thank him enough and its an official friendship by now, were really getting along. We get to do other things bus together, like running together to pick up other busses and work on his stuff too. I'm sure he doesn't want me under foot all the time but one day we worked on a body side canvas install together on one of his rigs. I don't want it to be all about me and my goals, I can pitch in on someone else too, but don't want to derail the story here on this bus. I just know that learning all I can and not being selfish and needy is actually helping my bus and feels better too.

I have the next day off and pull the car out of the bay next to the bus and plan to attack the trans grime. Laying out a huge sheet of plastic, I pop in some ear buds and dive in. I don't want to mar the case so I get all surgical with a sharp piece of wood and chip away on the crust.

I work on it methodically. Its really only dirty on three sides and work one side at a time. The shifting arm was packed with bits of gravel and was likely not working well and freed up nicely when those were picked out. It's looking sweet but I realize after I spray it with a degreaser that I have another level of cleaning.

One full length Dead show and a lunch break and then another full length show and its looking satisfactory. I pretty much measure a session based on the time it takes to listen to an entire show. 3-4 hours, thats just about right and then the body gets a break. Jamming to the Dead and working on the bus are one of my favorite things, just go so well together! Believe me, I have it on all the time and goes on to even type this out!

The axles clean up in a few min of spinning in my bench top wire wheel. This feels pretty good to have a weekend invested into the bus. The long workweek ahead isn't going to allow much other than parts sourcing and reading. Its been so cold out though, its not like I'm cleaning trans dirt on a killer weather day. Perfect use of my time and the bus is a smiling!
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Awesome progress Smile

Oven cleaner is your best friend if you like to clean even the last square inch of crud from the transaxle : spray , let it soak for around 10 minutes (no more!) rinse (very well) and repeat if needed , no scrub is required Smile
Also try to avoid breathing this stuff is not good (working outside it would be best)...

Keep up the good work !

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 33

Jump to: