Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Hi everybody, it's been a while since I did an update and today I was able to dedicate a day poking around in the Bay between getting the yard ready for spring.

We had a heavy snow last Friday that closed school and work again, I haven't kept track in my memory of how many school snow days this year, but I'm guessing at least 5 and probably 3 shop closings. This time, the ground was warm enough that most of it has melted off already and things are greening up. Hunkered down, it's a nice chance to get some things organized around the house and stoke up the fireplace one last time. Instead of complaining about the Winter cold, I think of it as one less day without bugs and flies, mowing, or heat waves....Ha! I've never closed the shops for too much heat! Anyway, I have not been working on the Bay at all this winter and have been focusing on the Splits rust repair. Hundreds of hours invested with hundreds to go, but plugging away.

Were planning some campouts and whatnot though and I'm considering awning options. With all the options and associated costs, if anybody can recommend an awning, I'm all ears.

First off today, I wanted to get my cabin fire extinguisher properly mounted. My goal has always been to have a modern extinguisher that somewhat matched the original and securely mount it to rear bench without drilling a bunch of holes in the OG panel.

The extinguisher I had bought was just about the right size but the handle touched the bottom lip of the rear bench. My original idea was to craft a stand off block that would allow the handle to clear the bench and laminate it to match the interior and blend in better. As easy as this sounds, one still has to invest the time and today I was able to tackle this piece.

I started with a block of 1 X 2 pine. My chop saw was stored up high and behind a bunch of stuff. It's the little things like taking the time to get this tool out and stowed right when through is the tedious part. I have to be in the right mindset to even begin a project, as tripping over stuff or dropping a nut and having it roll into a dark corner is what really tests my patience, not the actual steps of the job.

I have a nice drill press, but of coarse it's got a motorcycle wheel in front of it and not so safe to use leaning around stuff like that. Might hurt the bike! Finally, today was a good day to roll this stuff out and have the right posture to access and operate the tools in my shop. A wood paddle bit dropped a nice hole in the wood that would allow a bolt and washer to set flush when mounted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have saved some OG laminate scraps for just such a project and used the same bit to pop a clean hole for the bolt. A little pre trimming with straight cut sheet metal sheers and spray rubber cement and I'm off doing something else while the glue dries.

Repeat that step a few times and I have a nice little laminated block to mount. So with just a little widening of the original hole, I was able to pass this mounting bolt through the Bench panel and then mount the extinguisher mounting strap.

Once mounted, I'm pleased that the handle doesn't hit the bench seat at all, and the mounting block blends in pretty well. Actually makes it pretty easy to access when taking it off, which never hurts, and rather sturdily mounted as per BusDaddy's recommendation, Thanks BD.

Between that project I was able to get my gauge mount prepped. Brian had given me a laser cut piece that would fit my stereo hole, but the corners needed some shaping. Again, I need my shop empty to get to my bench grinder...when test fitting, I found it just friction fit up under that foam surrounding the hole, so I don't need to devise an intricate securing clip or anything. I did find that I would need to round out the lip of the hole to clear the inside gauge mounts. As much as I hate to cut my bus, I though it wouldn't hurt much to go ahead and grind this out a little with my Dremel.

I painted the piece black and then lightly mounted my gauges in the piece and my dash as they will have to come lose to wire them. I'm happy that I have a little leg work behind me.

Yeah, so nothing really big, but headway none the less. I'll feel better driving the bus with just a little more fire suppression and engine monitoring in place.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Awesome man, looks really good. I redid my cabinets as well and am really pleased with how they came out, although mine are not OG looking. My wife is an interior designer and could get deals on some laminate we ended up using. I am really impressed with the sink top portion how you managed to salvage that existing veneer. I ripped mine apart completely since so much veneer was missing and those little pieces standing up that support the lid over the sink were by far the most difficult. There is actually a routed channel they are glued into on top of the screws you have to drill access to, if that makes sense.

I am kind of hung up on the RV wiring at the moment, my control panel had 2 really bad shorts that melted some switches, I may end up buying other switches and cut the holes to fit since i can't find replacement parts for that thing.

I also still have not figured out what I want to do with the wood panel that control panel sits in, but ill probably use the old one as a template and make another out of the laminate I have. I will steal your method of applying nail polish to the screw for the holes, although i am in the same boat about being worried about cracking them when drilling...

Where did you find the cover to your drain vent on the outside? I know its a minor thing but I Have been searching to no avail, mine is broken, and i actually was going to try to remake it out of fiberglass but i know it won't look as good as the real thing. You may have had one in god condition and refinished, if so I missed that in your updates.

Again, awesome job, I just got some POR-15 for my undercarriage and battery trays based on your thread. Pretty inspiring my dude.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
Awesome man, looks really good. I redid my cabinets as well and am really pleased with how they came out, although mine are not OG looking. My wife is an interior designer and could get deals on some laminate we ended up using. I am really impressed with the sink top portion how you managed to salvage that existing veneer. I ripped mine apart completely since so much veneer was missing and those little pieces standing up that support the lid over the sink were by far the most difficult. There is actually a routed channel they are glued into on top of the screws you have to drill access to, if that makes sense.

I am kind of hung up on the RV wiring at the moment, my control panel had 2 really bad shorts that melted some switches, I may end up buying other switches and cut the holes to fit since i can't find replacement parts for that thing.

I also still have not figured out what I want to do with the wood panel that control panel sits in, but ill probably use the old one as a template and make another out of the laminate I have. I will steal your method of applying nail polish to the screw for the holes, although i am in the same boat about being worried about cracking them when drilling...

Where did you find the cover to your drain vent on the outside? I know its a minor thing but I Have been searching to no avail, mine is broken, and i actually was going to try to remake it out of fiberglass but i know it won't look as good as the real thing. You may have had one in god condition and refinished, if so I missed that in your updates.

Again, awesome job, I just got some POR-15 for my undercarriage and battery trays based on your thread. Pretty inspiring my dude.

Thanks for the feedback.

I felt that my bus interior was salvageable and felt that I could live with some of the irreversible blemishes figuring that I'll be adding a few new ones myself in the future. I agree that the kitchen block lid supports are real troublsome to remove and thought it prudent to work around them in place. I've seen the access holes drilled and it may come to that someday if I ever see the need to redo the laminate.

The RV wiring isn't that complex when you break it down. I don't know the condition of your control panel but my instincts are to not get in a hurry drilling in it. Give it some time searching or place a want add in the classifieds. There is likely somebody that has what you need and willing to help you out. Definitely keep your old long wall panel as a template and never throw it away. My water damaged and cracked piece is now in storage up in the rafters, just for the future reference at a minimum.

Actually, my drain cap was missing too. Now that you mention it, I should find something to cover it so wasps don't make a nest or something. I'm sure there is a PVC cap I can twist over it or something that will stay on while I drive, or attach a string or chain to it maybe so I don't misplace it when it's off.

As for POR-15, I've found it decent to work with "sparingly". Some folks don't like it and say its a burden to remove if you ever need to. I'm sure they are right. I haven't owned anything I've used it on for more that a few years or weather tested it myself, so I defer to others experience.

Hope that helps, Take care championbaum
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

I am actually trying to find the cover above the water inlet, just the vent cover, not an actual cap. Mine is thrashed and I can't find a replacement. Its above the square city water cover in this pic of yours.

Edit: I figured out how to circle it...
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:

I am actually trying to find the cover above the water inlet, just the vent cover, not an actual cap. Mine is thrashed and I can't find a replacement. Its above the square city water cover in this pic of yours.

Edit: I figured out how to circle it...

I just searched
Westfalia sink drain vent cover
one came up on GoWesty for 7 bucks.
I'm sure there are a few more suppliers.

My search trick is to ask google to show me "images" of a request and some will be show the photo with "product" in the corner and clicking on the photo will send you directly to the hits site.

Sometimes I search the keywords and click shopping, but I like the images tool more as it showed me what's really out ther even if it's not for sale. Gives me a quick idea if finding something is even possible.

Thanks!
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thanks a ton, I have no idea how I missed that. Found it, and purchased.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Looks like the weather has finally turned for the better and the winds and temps are favorable enough to get the Bus out for some shakedown runs.

There are a few odds and ends to deal with of coarse and I'm happily jumping on them. Although we haven't been legit camping yet, I wanted to share one of my best drives of this spring so far.

My Grandmother has been constantly asking me how the VW Bus is going and asking if she can get a ride. I have sadly been telling her that the bus is just not ready yet and attempting to explain the process and all I get is a pitiful "oh" in reply.

Last year the whole family came together to have a burial ceremony for my grandfather (WWII Vet) at the SD National Cemetery and she was pretty disappointed they wouldn't have his headstone ready for quite sometime. Now knowing they have his headstone and ern all set in the row she came back out to Sturgis SD to see it herself. My Aunt and Uncle came from Minneapolis and picked her up and brought her to the Hills for this event and after that, to celebrate our birthdays together. Her and my birthdays are 3 days apart, so we have spent quite a few blowing out candles together. She's 94 this year and we are fearing the worst will play out sooner than later. She is such a peaceful person and has lived a pretty great life and the best to hang with and listen to.

Actually, day before yesterday, she had a fall in her room and really bumped her head and bruised it terrible, so she's pretty bummed and were all naturally worried to splinters. She really shook it off petty well and has been looking forward to the drive I promised her. So after the lunch, photos, gifts and cake we back out the bus and got her in the front seat. We were initially thinking the rear bench, but the front seat and grab handle made for the best choice in getting her seated in the bus.

She gave a pretty solid review of the power and that the engine was quieter than she expected. She commented that she could see quite well and that the seat was comfortable. Oh, and that I was speeding a few times, with us laughing that those other cars just got passed by a bus on a hill.

My Aunt and Uncle, Susan and Joe were pretty into it as well. They have VW history. Susan said she had a bug in the day and that one morning Joe came in and said you should go look at your car. She said she had it parked by the house and a whole slug of ice and snow had come lose from the roof at once and flattened her entire cab flat. That they didn't total it and that it leaked after they fixed it. I had a great time talking about all that as well as outlining the story of the bus and what it was we all did to it and what is still to come.

Over all, I'm just so happy to have been able to get these loved ones out in the bus and make a little history with them. It's totally the reason I pressed on with the project and its days like this that make it worth it and the dream alive. A weekend of kept promises all around.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Both grandmother and the bus look amazing for their age.
With love and attention, they'll be around for a long time to come. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Both grandmother and the bus look amazing for their age.
With love and attention, they'll be around for a long time to come. Dancing

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!
Pete The Greek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Just got my 77 Sage green westy from Sacramento - I'm in Wales in the UK but it's been great reading your thread. Will hopefully have some photos up soon.
Regards.
Pete
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Can't believe I missed this update Wild! What a fantastic thing for your family members to enjoy. That bruise on your grandmothers head looks terrible, but its good to see her spirits are in high order.

The joke with you speeding and passing im sure brought a smile to everyones face.

Looking forward to your first camping trip with the family. I bet the kids can't wait (the big kids to).
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

There are a few noteworthy updates and adventures to share and I have most of my chores done for the week and have the time to post. A quad latte all set and I'm hunkering down to the keyboard to type.

The destination of the Grandmother Cruise was to get the bus back over to Brians house where we can look at a few of the issues we have found doing the bus's engine break in. Despite our best efforts and attempts at being thorough, the reality of this endeavor is that there will be things to deal with and revisit when required. We knew last year we had an oil leak that needed addressed, but it was just so late in the year we decided to wait till spring to even attempt a look see.

The Westy sat in hibernation from Dec through May with nothing more than a battery tender on her. My bus work attention has been almost exclusively on the 65 learning and practicing rust removal and sheet metal repair. Last year Dec in a quick weather window I drove it to Kevin's shop where the work is happening and took my first crack with the front floor removal. Since January, I have hit it at least once a week for a 3-4 hour session with some weeks getting up to 3 efforts.

A general shot that outlines what is going on with the split.

Red in the premier bay at DubBus Hospital.

So when I got the call from Brian that his garage was open again and that it was Hellin's turn, I was pretty stoked and tossed Grams and Company in for the ride over.

Of coarse, Brian works best alone, but he knows I love to learn about my bus, so I was invited to sit in on a few of the work sessions at his place. We knew we had a leak, but we just couldn't determine where from. Basically it was coming from the back behind the fan, but also had sign coming from the oil cooler as well as the pushrods etc. We read up and realized we didn't need to be dropping the engine, just the fan shroud, so we set to taking that off the first night, so we could take a peak.....

We couldn't see much with it loose, so we resigned to taking out the entire shroud. That involve a bit of wiring removal as well as the exhaust and oil fill neck. We dropped the oil.

Putting the fill tube back on we put fresh oil in. At this point we laughed that if we can't find the leak now.....We started up the engine and could see the leak was coming from below the oil pump. I said, well what about why is it coming from up higher? Brian explained that the leak was getting sucked up into the fan blades and misted up over the heads and dripping down from inside the cooling tin. OHHH OK, The fan is that strong huh...You bet it is he said, makes a ridiculous amount of fan power. Who knew. So, If I would have let that go on the heads and cylinders would have just gotten all caked up with oil and dirt and made my bus run hotter till eventually something would give. It's a good thing we parked her when we did. I coated the tim gloss black so the oil wouldn't show up on it very well, but that works so well its really hard to track down a leak too. Next time a matte black.....

The next issue was removing the oil pump. He thought it would be stuck on pretty good with the sealant he used. I asked if he had any baling wire and he had just a little. I said, since my concrete days, I use bailing wire for a ton of things. I made a little harness that cradled the oil pump and we pried a little. The wire broke once and I agreed it looks like its on pretty solid. I twisted up what I had left and gave it one last little tug with a pry rod and with just and ounce or two from snapping, POP the pump gave way. We cheered a little and I left that night with a little glow of victory.

The next session we just cleaned the case and prepped the oil pump and reinstalled. Let set 24 hours. I noticed my dipstick rubber seal was a little slippery on the powder coating, so I scuffed it up with 80 grit. That seamed to help as it was harder to slip on, hopefully harder for it to slip off on its own and a zip tie just for good measure. The next day, out of the blue I got a text from Brian

"Westy No Leaky"

One more night to get the fan shroud on together and Brian headed out to Denver for the VW On The Green show and swap. He has been building some sick lowered beams for bugs and buses as well as spindles and break solutions for all things lowered. I chose not to go, but it sounds like he had a heck of a show.....

Upon his return, he basically gets the wiring all put back and gets after a few other services. He never liked that the muffler set a little crooked. It did look a little off, but I wasn't gonna let it bug me. He said one side had been leaking at the head anyway so I get a series of texts showing him cutting up the manifolds.

Wow! I said, there was that much tension on them? Some, but most of the change is for the leveling of the muffler. I guess when you stretched on them just enough to get the muffler on it created a tiny seam at the head.

Tacked at the house and welded at his shop and cleaned up again for re-install.

So now the exhaust bolts up with one hand and heads seal smooth and proper and the muffler sets quite level to the ground now. Pretty bad ass to have that tightened up. I wasn't even asking for that service. Thanks, Brian.

Brian also scored some OEM pushrod tube seals from his buddy in CO at the swap and put a set in and checked the valves. Everything looked to be doing well and as expected. We were pushing to have her operational for the Memorial Day weekend and Brian pushed on through the week and had her as dialed as possible for the rigs first family outing in the Westy, EVER! He was going to be busy the next day and I was working that day, so the dude brings the rig out to my house and parks her in my garage while I was at work. Come on man, now that is above and beyond the call.

You can see here how nice that muffler looks now.

I give this guy the "New Friend of the Year" award for 2018. Kevin got it in 17.... I really appreciate these guys and and super grateful and blessed to have quality friends like this.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Good to see things back on track Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

What a great bunch of guys you got helping you. Good update, and hope your Memorial Day weekend was a happy one with the family.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Now we had all the things together for an outing in the Hills. The bus's services complete, the day off, great weather ahead and everybody present. I wanted to go at first light, but I decided to let the kids sleep in a little. It's the first day of the summer school break and I didn't want to start it off drill sergeanting them into the bus. But eventually, around 10am we were all set, with packed lunch and all the details thought of and I rallied everybody around for a preflight safely meeting. Mostly to go over some ground rules about eating. Licorice good, Cheetos, bad and try not to spill your drink.....Skittles? "good!" how about corn dog with mustard? "bad!" ok you guys passed the test. Anything that doesn't make crumbs or stains, now get in.

On a side note, my Dad has been asking me what I'm doing for music. I mentioned likely a built in system that rocks but that you can't see, but that it's down the road. My parents wanted to buy me something for my birthday and they picked me up this remote player, something we can set out while were camping etc. It's a nice item and has great sound and neato lights that blink to the music. You can really crank it up too, so I wrapped it in a tie dye shirt to protect it from the sun and my dash from scratching. This will do nicely for now.

With smiles all around and varying amounts of bubbly anxiety we all jump in and head over to Kev's so I can get my tool box from Red just in case, I don't want to head out without it for obvious reasons.

That puts us oner by Hwy 44 that as 3 long steady vertical grades with passing lanes to ascend the hills. Kevin likes that, he says its best to just get that over with right away and its easier on head temperature. I could have run them in 4th gear but chose to climb in 3rd to keep the RPMs up for cooling. Pulled great at about 50-55 and some times 4th gear when it leveled out. It was a little bit windy but I wasn't gonna complain as so much was going my way, but you could feel the side pressure on the Westy.

The first thing at the top of the hill is the big dam and Lake Pactola where Rapid City gets its water supply. There is a scenic overlook with a bathroom so we pull in for that and I can quick look over the bus for leaks etc. Right away we get a guy come over to talk about the bus. How he's had one before and how did you find one so nice etc. My story about how it wasn't always cherry and that this is one of our first outings. Pretty neat. He was going west solo in a car with a pop up pull behind and wanted to know what we thought was worth seeing. We said, don't skip the Bighorn Mountains and then get to Yellowstone but that we thought the NE entrance was the most spectacular, untouched by the big fire.

By now we noticed that the Hills are just loaded with folks on vacation and all enjoying the splendor of the day and Memorial Day holiday and summer break. Lots of campers, sports cars and motorcycles. The area has some really big payoffs for cruising and were pretty stoked to be together with the bus and parading it around on such a great day. Mt Rushmore is 26 miles from our house and of coarse we'e seen it many, many times, so we really don't go into the monument much unless someone is visiting and wants to go. Really, that sculpture is pretty easy to see for miles and is ever present throughout the area. Still, I'm forever impressed with the Faces and Cat and I decided to still pull of by George and try for a family picture. Weird, but this is the first time of the day the starter doesn't spin and after pop starting the rig we head out.

At this point Cat jumps in back and lets G man run shotgun. What a trip seeing this little boy grinning next to me and we high five each other several times.

Just down the hill from Rushmore is Iron Mountain road, known for the "pigtail" bridges and tunnels. Before we get on up those, while idling, I check and tighten down my ground strap on my battery, thinking that may be whats up with the starter. It was lose.

The bridges are sweet and nobody is in a hurry in other vehicles. I can really keep up in traffic anyway and sometimes I'm the one behind someone, who graciously pulls off...

There is this cool part where the road splits in half and your running alone on a one lane ribbon of road through the trees, connecting and splitting once again. I love that part.

Then you come to a tunnel and hopefully nobody is coming through. Neat thing about the area is that the builders that created the Faces didn't just focus on that, They built this road and made the tunnels line up so that the Faces could be seen centered while going through them. This whole 20 mile area was shaped into one big wonderful park centering around the Shrine of Democracy and a celebration of the worlds splendor.

Were in it deep now and just in Heaven driving around together listening to great tunes and eating junk food. We proceed to the Norbeck overlook and set out on a hike to eat lunch and look off into tomorrow.

I won't show too much of that here, just a bunch of shots of us eating and standing with the forest behind us. Pics of trees growing out of solid rock and nature pics like that......It is fun to hang back and see folks point to the bus or take pictures. One guys says "78?" close, 77, Right on, looks great....

The bus starts fine right there and we head off. I hope that was all it was with the starter...but I'm still parking on little hills for now. We get on down the peak and twist all the sweet curves and more tunnels and head towards the game preserves near Custer State Park. G won't give up shotgun and I hear him several time say he LOVES the bus. The girls seem content in the back and I'm getting no complaints other than the mildly angsty indifference from my 11 year old.

We decide to just drive around looking for buffalo and decide that Custer Park is just too busy so we just cruise around one road or another, we even backtrack some, we don't care, then make a plan to get to our favorite rock shop in Keystone and head that way. My daughter jumps in front for the first time and starts chatting me up. She says the bus rides different, feels like a boat. I agree and it's like because a boat has its engine in back as well.

I park on a little grade in Keystone just in case and after a little rock picking, we have a snack and you know what? She won't turn over, so we roll her and pop start her again. Everything else seems to be charging fine, just that the starter won't go when I twist the key. No biggie, for now were fine. I'm chocking this up as a total win as long as we don't need a tow. We drive around and stall a bit till its time to go to my nieces graduation party and we pull in and park on a hill. My Dad comes over and we scratch our heads. While the family heads into the party we check a few things like the wiring on the starter, the trans ground strap and don't find anything lose, on well, I'm not gonna stress over it now. When it's time to leave my starter won't turn and my Dad pushes me and it pop starts no prob and we head back home before the forecasted rain...My nieces step dad says hold up! and tosses some lilac blossoms on the dash, says a hippy bus needs flowers on the dash! In a text Brian says "dang hippy bus always having to park on a hill"

I can't tell you how may thumbs up and full arm peace signs people shot us. I've heard said, analog likes are way better that digital ones and I agree, it's not what it's about for me, but I know we are making folks smile and feel good when they see the bus. I gotta think, with the attention she brings, there could easily be a bigger interest to come if more people see running buses and believe owning one is possible.

We get her home in time for a late meal and you know what? I try the ignition in the garage and the bus starts! I plug in the battery tender and she's fully charged so now I'm looking for why its intermittent. Any ideas folks? Other than that, I'm just overjoyed to be running around in the bus and with family on board its all the sweeter. This one day alone made all the time, money and effort worth it to me. I think G is hooked. What a blast.

The plan is there more we get her out the more shakedowns and problems solved the more we can trust her and get her legs stretched out even further. I didn't log it down, but we drove between 150 and 200 miles. Pretty good! Heck, if we never leave the Hills with her I could be OK with that, there are plenty of neat roads here to go and although I've grown up here and know them all, it's like seeing them for the first time in the bus....
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Dancing Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Very cool!

I have done the Pigtails and also Needles a number of times on the Harley, that’s some great scenery and perfect for cruising in a bus.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Fantastic! Love the story.

Could be a sticky solenoid on the starter or not getting enough juice if you have stock ignition wiring. I like having a relay to save my ignition switch from having to pump all that current from the battery through the switch, then back to the starter.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Ahhhhh....
This trip is what I (and I'm sure your whole family) have been waiting for. Lots of effort and coordination was required to get your own bus finished the way you want it. And now you get to enjoy the results of all that work.

That's what it's all about, right?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
What a great bunch of guys you got helping you. Good update, and hope your Memorial Day weekend was a happy one with the family.

Yeah, I would be lost without them and not nearly as far along on this road. I owe them a lot. I try to be attentive, open minded and a good listener, all the while trying to do what I can myself without a huge amount of hand holding. Definitely nice to bounce ideas and options off of each other though and share in the glow of a solved issue or finished project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 33

Jump to: