Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bock's 1966 Baja
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

I found a good deal on a 66' that was hard to pass up. The PO really seemed to care about the car. The headliner and seats are still there including the rear bench. Stock steering wheel, stock shifter. It is as close to a "stock" baja bug as I think I could find. I inspected the pan and body for rust and damage and didn't find anything noteworthy. This car was advertised as sitting for the past 15 years, and had clearly been in the garage so it was almost like a Baja barn find.. but not really. The dry weather in Arizona and the lack of exposure have kept this one in decent shape. The old tires and window rubber still feel good and aren't brittle. I won't be using the tires as they are expired in my mind, but they are good rollers and towed home nicely on the highway. The engine turns over and has compression. I think 2 cylinders were low. I'm going to set it aside. Maybe rebuild it later - who knows. I'll figure out how the trans is when I start driving it.

The PO seemed to be in the middle of rebuilding the brake system. The MC and pedals were out in a box. After getting it home, I realized the rear brakes were brand new, well 15 years old brand new. They obviously hadn't been driven on. New shoes, new drums, new gaskets. I took the EMPI front disc brakes of the 67 and put them on the 66 with the upgraded MC from the EMPI kit so now we basically have fresh brakes all around. I just have to finish connecting the front hardlines and swapping the 67 rear soft lines on (these are still fresh) then I can charge the system with fluid.

I pulled the torsion arms out of the beam and cleaned the grime off them. I took this opportunity to replace the balljoints. I rented the C-Clamp style tool and the extra case of sleeves to go with it. I practiced removing the balljoints on the 67's trailing arms before working on the 66 arms. They came out fairly easy and I didn't have to use heat or hacksaw as I've read about in some horror stories of doing VW balljoints. I moved to the 66 arms and quickly realized that there was no little ear in the casting like my 67 arms had so that made it a little more tricky, but using a combination of sleeves and spacers I was able to get them all removed. Maybe it is pointless on a baja, but I ordered up german balljoints from WW and proceeded to install them in the 66 trailing arms. The first 2 went in without much fuss, but as I was pressing number 3 in, the sleeve actually tore the metal collar I was pressing on and it separated from the balljoint. This was the upper joint. Hmmm so I grabbed a spacer that pushed on the outside diameter of the raised section on the joint and pushed it all the way into the arm which straightened the torn collar out. I quickly decided to press that joint back out and tossed it. What a bummer. Wth a little more care, I pressed in the fourth joint, re-ordered the one that I broke and finished the job. I used my bench vise to hold the C-Clamp and my IR 1/2" pneumatic impact to drive the screw down. I can't imagine doing it by hand. Hindsight, the sleeves really made the job a success. Had I bought the press, I would have had to rent the sleeves anyway since I don't have that vast of an assortment here at home.
Okay, balljoints are done, arms are cleaned and greased. I installed new torsion seals I used one of my rented balljoint sleeves to drive them in (gently). The torsion arms didn't have any noticeable play in them so I'm not digging into the needle bearings or anything at this time. I installed the arms tightened everything down. Make sure the eccentric bushing groove is pointing forward when installing and that when putting the balljoints in that the notches line up for proper joint position. I would definitley remove the front hub from the spindle before pulling the torsion arms if I had to do it again. Lesson learned there.

Should have started this when I started working on the car, but here you have it. Enjoy the photos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture taken this morning, so it's pretty current.

Last edited by Bock on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Nice but wouldn't it be better to do parts from phase 1 and 3 together?
Such as having the body off before doing restoration/getting the suspension set up also immediately so its bad ass sooner.

This might save heartache

Also, any idea on the correct ratio of beam width to trailing arm length? I imagine it'd make a big difference to get this right.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Thanks greggl4321,

Right now, I'm focused on getting the car road ready so I can start taking my kids out in the dirt and drive it around town. I probably won't drive it any faster on the dirt than I would my stock F-150 at this point. The suspension will come later for me. On my first cars, I had full access to a metal shop and welder. All I could think about was suspension travel. Now I don't have all that readily available so I am working to get those tools back in my garage. The only heartache that I would have is if I got in over my head on this project and it became a long term garage ornament. d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

that new car is so cool! That paint job is quintessential Baja for me man! Sounds like you're on the right track with your plan.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Made a little progress over the last few weeks. I put the new tie rods on and did a backyard alignment. I used a digital angle finder to find the camber. I am definitely glad to have that in my tool box now.
When I got this car the master cylinder and pedal assy was out, so today I put the assy back in. Even got my son to give a hand turning the clutch wing nut. Very Happy
Next step should be bleeding the brakes. I hate brake bleeding. My mity-vac broke awhile back, so I'm going to have to get another one before I get that job done.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Made a little progress over the last few weeks. I put the new tie rods on and did a backyard alignment. I used a digital angle finder to find the camber. I am definitely glad to have that in my tool box now.
When I got this car the master cylinder and pedal assy was out, so today I put the assy back in. Even got my son to give a hand turning the clutch wing nut. Very Happy
Next step should be bleeding the brakes. I hate brake bleeding. My mity-vac broke awhile back, so I'm going to have to get another one before I get that job done.

You could always bleed the brakes the old fashioned way having your son pumping the pedal then holding it while you open the bleeder screw to bleed the air out.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

that looks like a garage, but it's clean, organized, tidy and well lit.

I am accustomed to tombs with tripping hazards

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:

You could always bleed the brakes the old fashioned way having your son pumping the pedal then holding it while you open the bleeder screw to bleed the air out.

That would be too easy now wouldn't it?? I got him out there and we did just that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mal evolent wrote:
that looks like a garage, but it's clean, organized, tidy and well lit.

I am accustomed to tombs with tripping hazards

Thanks for that. This is the first 3 car garage I've had. I did my first engine swap on a 68 Ranchero in a 1 car townhome garage with one electrical outlet tapped into the provided overhead light bulb fixture. I had the chero, a dirtbike and 3 V8 engines shoved in that thing while I worked. When we moved out of there the drywall was mostly black up to about 5' off the ground and there was greasy handprints in random places. Now THAT was a tomb. I don't think I got my deposit back... Rolling Eyes

Since I had it out of the garage, I decided it's time for another photo op.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

That would be too easy now wouldn't it?? I got him out there and we did just that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Awesome !!

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

I absolutely love it!
It's the perfect example of a vintage baja.

I'll be sticking around to see your journey here.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

71StandardReduction wrote:
I absolutely love it!
It's the perfect example of a vintage baja.

I'll be sticking around to see your journey here.

x2 When bugs bit me the bajas in the mags were painted like this and were mildly modified stockers (compared to the wild machines built today).

Bock, I just picked up a baja project in a bag and the rims look very similar. (I'll get a thread started on it at some point here). Would you share the width of your rims front and back and the tire sizes you have on here? This is a good looking combo and I may copy-cat the sizes if my rims measure similarly.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Bock, I just picked up a baja project in a bag and the rims look very similar. (I'll get a thread started on it at some point here). Would you share the width of your rims front and back and the tire sizes you have on here? This is a good looking combo and I may copy-cat the sizes if my rims measure similarly.

The front rims are 15x5 with 205/65R15 Toyo tires
The rear rims are 15x8 with 235/75R15 BFG Mud-Terrains

You are supposed to measure from the inside cradle to get the correct width, but I laid a tape across the outer inside of the rim and eyeballed it against the curve of the rim.

Good luck with your project!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Thanks Bock! Those 235s are meaty Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

I've slept a few times since updating here. Currently the 1600 is at a local machine shop getting cleaned up and ready for me to bring home and put everything back together. The case checked out and doesn't need any cutting, the crank will get by with a "polish". Heads are being rebuilt, and new cam, lifters, & oil pump will be part of the deal. The rod bushings are worn out so I'm putting a different set of VW rods in there. P/C's are going to be honed and cleaned and re-ringed. Rockers look good as well. The bearings really had some wear (IMHO) and to find out that the case was in good shape surprised me, but I like these kind of surprises - good guys back in my wallet to spend on something else.
I need to get in there and pull the transmission out because it's leaks from the nosecone area. I pulled a muscle in my arm though and it's really been slowing me down lately. I'll try to get some pictures up of the engine when it gets back and post here.
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Nice! Oops, in the northern Vermont vernacular- Wicked!
What's going to happen with the blue one?
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Thanks plotch

The blue bug went up for sale as a "part out". It's tough to use, or get rid of a bug with a jacked up title. Even now, I was thinking about making a rail off the pan because I have really only sold off most of the body sheet metal, but the state wants receipts for everything for a custom built buggy to get an offroad plate UGH.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Okay, so I got the engine parts back from the machine shop and did a shortblock assembly. 3 case studs pulled out when I torqued it up. The two on opposing sides of the cam by the plug, and one by the cam/oil pump on the front. Rather than spring for a drill press to do the job right, I took the case back to the machine shop and he turned it around in 1 day for me. I will hopefully get it assembled this weekend - woo hoo!

Did I mention the heads came out looking super nice!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Okay, so I got the engine parts back from the machine shop and did a shortblock assembly. 3 case studs pulled out when I torqued it up. The two on opposing sides of the cam by the plug, and one by the cam/oil pump on the front. Rather than spring for a drill press to do the job right, I took the case back to the machine shop and he turned it around in 1 day for me. I will hopefully get it assembled this weekend - woo hoo!

Did I mention the heads came out looking super nice!

Awesome. Enjoy the build!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Wish you were closer. Don't need no stinkin' titles in vermont. Trailering it back would cost a fortune.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bock's 1966 Baja Reply with quote

Okay - feels like I'm moving at a snails pace on this, but got the SB together this afternoon without very much drama. If all goes to plan, I should have an engine by this weekend? We'll see how much time Bug-A-Rama takes. I'm going to head out to Chandler this weekend to go check it out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: