Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your van-plan for 2018?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

WANT!!! Every pic Is beautiful. So much good... Cool

- Dave

childofthewind wrote:
Van plan 2018 will look a lot like 2017:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

^ Thanks, Dave! Someone has to do it!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

I want to head back north one more time. In the Yukon, we've been
up the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Circle a number of times and on up to Inuvik, NWT once.

I think the new road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk has been completed (about 200 miles north of Inuvik).
That's on my bucket list. (We'll not pull the camper up the Dempster, too rough and too far (tents).

So, after going over the Van from bumper to bumper, we'd like to hit the road by mid-June.
Estimated total miles, about 12,000 in about 35 days.

In haste, we hurriedly prepared a sign because we were not aware that the official sign was damaged (misspelled Arctic....LOL)

Last edited by AndyBees on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

Andy,

Maybe we will cross paths as you go north. We leave June 22 from Denver. Very Happy

I plan to finish the last part of the 2015 trip that was cut short when my son needed to return home. We will start out in Denver to pick up the bus from after Syncro Solstice then up to Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Mt Rushmore, Badlands....home.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Wow !!! -- Team Spatula is on here. I lost track of you ages ago .... remember that Bay crew cab. Somewhere back there in the Carolinas is my old '69 crew cab. I think about it once in a while and hope it's ok and not molested or destroyed. Anyway, TS, thanks for the momentary blast from the past.

Wow, nice to run into another "old timer" like myself! Smile
I do miss that crew cab, but am glad to at least have a camper of any generation at this point...meanwhile my relay kits just came in the mail so hopefully they will get installed this weekend...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

Hopefully a two week trip down the Baja coast.

Recaros
Replace blue foil
Install TDI starter
Ping GPS, when it finally arrives
Spice rack LEDs
Recover rear seat
Burley rear discs
Mud flaps

Been using it as a daily driver lately. So glad I got the mechanicals done over the past 2-3 years. Be tough having it down for too long.
The Gockleys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

First time poster, longtime reader.

1. Have my mechanic add the GoWesty EFI to the new GoWesty 2300cc engine, which has been fantastic! PO tore off old EFI in the 80’s and added dual carbs, but ... new EFI is going to be awesome!
2. Finish the dashboard lighting stuff (tore out the whole harness two years ago and replaced, plus added the GW circuit board instead of blue foil, but never finished hooking up heater control lights,
3. Add other dash console stuff like new speedometer clip and new replacement tabs for the broken instrument cluster ones.
4. LED light bulbs all around the outside...can’t see much when backing up in the dark, but hope to soon!
5. Finish reupholstery work (armrests and engine ps panel).
6. Ohio camping loop in June...Vermont camping loop in July.

Having a great time with this camper, which is my daily driver.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

Gockley those leather seats are nice and properly worn. I use mink oil on my harley seat and leather jacket them from hardening and cracking.

Update to my 2018 Progress

Done:
1. Eurovan seats are in and covered in sewfine.
2. Vanistan louver window only went in on the driver side (passenger side had a shorter opening). Chris (tencentlife) was great during the process and in the end we just couldn't get it to work. Keep this in mind and let him know when you order.

Still todo:
1. Vanagonlife console is on hold until I get my aux set up planned out so I can wire through it.
2. Bombay struts in progress getting some backing plates made up for the yakima arg. REI is having a 20% on all thule/yakima items right now so if you guys are looking into boxes now is a good time.
3. Changed plans from SA grill to older single round grill.
4. I put in my downpayment and have a fall slot for the FAS genv diesel install and got brand new RP, gt 3rd gear, gt 4th gear straight cut, mainshaft 1st/2nd , and 3/4 slider hub for the rebuild. Front locker retrofit kit. Sport VC and decoupler.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats your van-plan for 2018 Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
- High-top roof rack to increase solar panal capacity from 75 watts to 200 watts and to add boat/board carrying capacity

- Swing-away rear rack to carry two bikes and a box for gear and a water heater

- Complete or ignore a dozen or so minor enhancements that I put on the to-do list at some time because they sounded brilliant at the time

- Turn the brand new tires into rubbish

So how did y'all do with the 2018 van plan?

- I did not do the high-top roof rack but I've got an updated plan for 2019
- The RMW swing-aways, 1UP bike racks and box were all installed and exceeded expectations
- I completed a few other minor enhancements
- A knee replacement slowed me down but we took a few good trips and had a 900+ mile, 17 hour day from Seattle to Pinnacles NP which was a delight, stock seats and all.

- Not originally on the list is a Peloquin which arrived last week but won't be installed until January.

Here's looking ahead to another great year in 2019!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

Well, our "Van-plan for 2018" did not materialize. Long story that I'll try to make short.

As we all try to do, I went over the Van from bumper to bumper as time permitted from mid-May until we departed in early July. There were lots of things affecting preparation for the road trip that I'll not get into here.

Anyway, unlike me, we headed out about July 7th or 8th with virtually no solid plan........ just heading north to Canada to eventually reach the Yukon and Alaska.

On the third day as we were leaving North Dakota heading into Canada, I noticed the clutch was taking much farther down. Pumping it seemed to help a bit. We had reservations at Campland north of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. At the campground (which has a no working on vehicles rule), I come to the conclusion that the clutch hydraulic system had air in it. Next morning we drove down the road and found a spot to add brake fluid and bleed the slave. After numerous attempts to bled the slave, I gave up. Seems it (slave) was sucking air on the rebound. I knew that the slave was damp before leaving home but just assumed at worst, I'd have to add some fluid..... big mistake.

So, I drove into Saskatoon to the VW dealer. They did not want to work on it. A guy there directed me to a guru. That was Friday morning. The guru ordered a new slave and had it fixed by Monday afternoon. Since we had lost a lot of time getting started and had another 4 day delay, on the toss of a coin, we headed back home via the Badlands and then cross country. And, on the way, the clutch face on the AC Compressor come off. Strangely, I there was an old unit in my parts box, wow!

Well, I told you all that to get you to the big one. About six weeks after getting back home and very few miles on the Van during that time, the Power Steering Rack began leaking profusely without warning.

We would have been in a heap of trouble if we had continued on.

So, hoping to do something in 2019, but nothing major as we have plans to take-in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island as well as the northeast coast of the USA with some friends (no VWs) ... sort of a promise we made a few years ago.

Happy trails in 2019..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Whats your van-plan for 2018 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
1. Complete TDI swap (weld intake manifold)
2. Fog light install
3. Install double DIN stereo
4. Fabricate new AC lines for ALH compressor.
5. Fabricate mount for cruise actuator
6. Fabricate shock absorber mounts to accommodate increased ride height.

A failing grade

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Whats your van-plan for 2018 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

-Put on my Yakima 1A towers (need to buy shocks/struts)
-Solar panel on top
-12v Fridge
-New Radiator + coolant lines
-New gas tank
-hitch bumper (I think GoWesty)

Still didn't get around to putting Yakima towers on. No need - ya know? However I just bought a Thule Cargo Carrier. So maybe 2019.

130w portable panel worked great for me all year long as a weekend warrior.

12V Dometic CFX50 was game changing. Loved it. CFX75W dual zone was too big.

New radiator was easy to replace. I regret not going with new coolant lines.

GoWesty hitch bumper was a decent upgrade. A little bouncy. I wish I would have went with Switchback system.

My 2018 surprise upgrade was a full suspension overhaul. Very happy with that.

Looking forward to 2019. Whats the etiquette on that? Creating a new thread ?

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
1. Replace throttle body and its vacuum leaks, stupid other expenses like kitchen remodel.

2. Drive my van and camp lots and hope that nothing else breaks.

3. Consider several wish list items like preemptively replacing my tired old waterboxer with a rebuild (I'm not a conversion guy- yet), T3 front end rebuild, and/or body/paint work that would probably include a NAHT hightop or similar.

4. Stare at vans for sale and decide if I want to just buy a second van before doing all that wishlist stuff.

5. Drive my van and camp lots.

Everything on this list was done in one way or another. I drove my van and camped lots. I replaced the throttle body- also a ton of other work including rebuild fuel injectors, ongoing wire repairs and sensor replacements, replaced oil pump (leaking cover getting worse), put in oil pressure gauge, 2 year service (coolant, ATF, etc) and lots more.

But the big one was doing a hole-only poptop conversion. Between that and getting my van running better all the time, no desire for a new van. and no tows/breakdowns this year! It was a good one.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Syncro, taken from the living spreadsheet:

1. Dash removal Done--doing it again to add A/C
2. More noise reduction Done
3. Re-do engine lid/new carrier bar? Done
4. Rust Done
5. Poptop, Hightop, Rooftop Tent, none of the above? Close to a decision...
6. Syncro Solstice Done

2wd:

1. Propane and Propex Done
2. Camp and Tailgate Done

Fall 2018:

Decide which one to sell, Done--selling the 2wd

spend the winter getting it ready starts after Xmas

pull the trigger in Spring 2019 correction: January 2019 Sad

(answers in bold.)

What a quaint and naive Syncro to-do list.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your van-plan for 2018? Reply with quote

Not a resolution, just some goals.

Im planning to
1. over haul the front suspension w all new bushings. Did and loved it.
2. brake job (pedal pulsates when slowing from high speeds) Nope
3. get a 2" trailer hitch mounted to carry mine and my families bikes. Nope
4. reupholster rear seats and bed cushions to match front seats Nope
5. all camping equip working w fridge out and shelving in place. Nope
This is actually a pretty easy list considering the goals Ive set in past years.
Id like to get all this done by July and If I do....Well then I can enjoy the van for the second 6 mos and just deal w the surprises.

Sold the van and moved into an 85 weekender with power steering and factory ac and arm rests that someone else already had reupholstered from front to rear. Swapped in an ej22 and some 16" rims. Very Happy . Already miss the turning chairs and stove-top. Working on the 2" receiver this month.
I think I made progress.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: