Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

I need help determining if a buddy's '66 convertible has the original engine. I'm confused by the tables of available info in the technical section, so we're hoping some experts can shed light.

The VIN plate number is 156350138, and the engine number is 0173846. If it's not the original case, it certainly appears to have all the original components bolted to it. But the VINs and engine numbers in the technical archives don't even seem close.

Or is it that we need to be referencing the "chassis" number off the pan to correlate with the engine numbers from the table??
Thanks for any assistance!

Edit: from type2.com, perhaps a '64 Bus 1500 with no cam bearings? Think
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

A 1966 engine would originally have been a 1300cc engine with a number starting with "F". Sounds like a 1200cc engine is in there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Pan and body numbers “should” match. The engine does appear to have started life as a 1500 based on the number. Good chance it’s a 1600 since from my understanding 1500 pistons have been NLA for awhile.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

No, that's an early 1500 block it sounds like. Assuming the engine number is under the generator stand, it would have come out of a type 2. Not really common to see those blocks re-used that much, they usually got pretty hammered by normal usage in Tranporters.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
the engine number is 0173846.

Edit: from type2.com, perhaps a '64 Bus 1500 with no cam bearings? Think

Yes, from the Bus listings here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

February, 1963 1500cc engine
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. If this engine is good (and it's believed to be), it might even be of some added value to someone restoring a '63 Bus...but that will be for the next owner to assess.

This car has been mothballed for a coupe decades, and since the owner also has a '78 'vert and my old '68 'vert, he's going to part ways.

We have no reason to believe that the pan and body don't match, but what still confuses me is that the table here (link below), under Beetle / VIN Chassis Numbers for 1966, doesn't list any chassis numbers starting with 15_, only 116 and 117, so it got me pondering whether convertible chassis numbers still carried the sedan format. Probably user error somewhere Confused https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

The car is a couple hours away from me, and about 45 minutes away from the current owner, so the VIN matching is delayed...but once it's road-worthy, it's going on sale.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Yes they use the same format.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. I probably should've said "sequence."

So simply substitute the second '1' with a '5' (for convertible), and the remaining chassis numbers fall in line with the running sequence for ALL sedans of the given year...right? Okay Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

That's correct.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

Yes, and it sort of says that at the top of the VIN page where it says they are prefixed by the model # from 1965-onward but maybe it's not as clear as it could be...

I'm totally open to new text if what is there is confusing.
If you have some input, PM me so I don't miss anything posted here in a thread
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help deciphering numbers for a '66 'vert... Reply with quote

I appreciate your willingness to amend the preface info. After re-reading it and understanding it now, I do have an idea that may clarify the statement. I'll send you a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: