Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Yep. PO was in Fernandino Beach so it’s familiar to some up there. It looked nicer than it is. A few shortcuts have been taken in the build and the wiring was a jumbled mess but it’s getting there.

I get what you’re saying on the paint and mentality. I come here for great ideas and mostly get them but also think there is a prevalent “project mentality” that I just don’t have. I buy them to drive them, not take it off the road for 2-... years to build the ultimate machine. While I love working on them, I like being able to drive them as well. I had also considered getting it wrapped after doing the bodywork. Or maybe spraying it in a satin which typically is more forgiving and lays down better. At least in my limited experience.

I do appreciate all the ideas. Thanks for those that input.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

5 3/8 diameter, ebay harley air filter cover
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
5 3/8 diameter, ebay harley air filter cover

Wonder if that’ll fit my air cleaner? Much cooler than the cheapo EMPI unit I have.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

So this is what I ended up doing:

Permanent? No. Out of place looking? I don’t think so. I was replacing the pieces on the side as they were getting beat to crap getting in and out of the buggy. Figured, wth.

Here’s a wider shot:

Before some changes.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

That looks very respectable! My personal flare would have been to put a radius on all the corners, but the beauty of the beach buggy is that everything is open to the owners personal style. Your covers look good and your touch of pulling the rear seat and lowering the tank down there greatly improve the look of your buggy, IMHO. (I would have pulled the rear seat out of mine, but I didn't paint that area!)
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the input. Yeah I may replace them and round the edges more, but it was getting dark and I had already spent hours working on my 64 so I was running out of time. I think it’s coming along. I got bored and went out tonight and started wet sanding some of the runs in the paint. Paint seems thick and the one I worked on came out well so that’ll be my new project for awhile. Need to try and find some touch up paint.

So far I’ve rebuilt the front end. Replaced it with an adjustable unit. Added dampener, anti roll bar and lowered oil shocks. Added new wheels and lower profile front tires. Cleaned up some of the hacked wiring. Added front end rear bumpers. Changed exhaust, cleaned up the engine (changed to rebuilt 34-3,SVDA, and painted tins) New seats, changed location of tank. Still on the list is building a cover for the rear “Cargo area”, installing more gauges and finding someone to make me a decent roll cage. If anyone knows of someone in Florida that can do it, LMK.

More pics:

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

looks good
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: