Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

I am tired of arguing with this guy. When did VW stop making what we call the split beetle crash box? It is a two part question. I know they changed the trans case to eliminate the toilet bowl looking filler on the side. All split beetles should have that case? right? But when did they start to sycro the gears inside? 1953 maybe for first gear? This guy keeps telling me he has a 1957 crash box trans? No he don't. any quick answers out there??
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

How old is the guy. The oval era way back was by some referred to as a crashbox due to the nonsynchro first gear. I prefer the term split case, but if somebody wants to call it that it ain't that big a deal. Let's just say that the split transmission is a full crashbox. HOWEVER, IF he has a european standard oval, guess what he DOES have a full crashbox! Cable brakes too!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Split-case was introduced October 1, 1952

Yes, lots of people call the split-case transmission with syncros on 2/3/4 a crashbox.

Confusing to people in the know.
I have also heard crash vs. full crash, as mentioned above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brycetx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The guy could very well have a 57 crashbox if it is from a standard ( non export model). It would look something like this without the top fill. Same gears though. I've heard some 52 pre zwitter splits had no rear access panel and may have had one of these. Maybe someone could clarify.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Non-synchromesh transmission (that is no synchromesh on any gear) was produced for some versions of models 111 & 112 until chassis number 115 247 528 (30th October 1964).

Sources of this were 1972 parts list and Progressive Refinements.

I believe these versions were only for utility services like postal etc.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Rod - They may have produced them (111, 112) for service vehicles, but there were still Standard models produced for the man in the street to purchase, particularly for the German market, providing they could master the art of double declutching on an all crash gearbox.

As you may recall, I have a Jan 58 Standard Sunroof Beetle, resplendent with its fully non synchro (all crash) gearbox, and the hugely increased interior noise levels these cars enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Martin, I remember when we first had holidays in Germany in 1972 the postal Beetles were almost as basic looking as our '46. No chrome anywhere, and I think only a driver's seat with the back and passengers seat areas being made up of a board for postal items. All 1200's I guess and any that were made before the above date probably had non-synchromesh gearboxes.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

Ok, I was wrong! Not afraid to admit it. I thought all crash boxes were over after 1953. Was thinking thru the eyes of deluxe cars and forgot about standard models. I never claimed to know everything but thanks guys for the input. Appreciated. this is how you learn stuff.
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 crash box vs say a 1953 to 1957 split case?? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Ok, I was wrong! Not afraid to admit it. I thought all crash boxes were over after 1953. Was thinking thru the eyes of deluxe cars and forgot about standard models. I never claimed to know everything but thanks guys for the input. Appreciated. this is how you learn stuff.

to all repliers, thanks for giving Tim a second opinion!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: