Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RainbowManFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

My 72 Super Beetle still has the stock steering wheel which is a bit large for me and is not in very good shape. I have searched all kinds of aftermarket wheels and haven't found anything that I like. I would like to find a padded wheel with padded center/horn button that looks similar to the late model Mexican beetles or perhaps a pre-airbag jetta, golf, rabbit, etc. Does anybody know where I can find this style steering wheel that will fit my 72 Super or perhaps a way to make a later model VW wheel fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

The problem you will face is that the later Jetta steering wheel has a smaller spline than your existing wheel.
Have you looked at wheels to fit early Porsche 911s? They use the same spline as your car.
To fit the later Jetta wheel, you would have to swap the steering shaft. If you get the shaft from a mid 74 and later Super, it will have the smaller spline. I'm not sure if the later shaft is a direct fit. If not, you'll have to do some custom work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

A 74 shaft would be a direct fit but 75 on are slightly longer because of the rack and pinion
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

With Joel's info, you need a steering shaft from a Beetle with a VIN higher than this : 134 2353 465, but lower than 135 2000 001
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Santiago Cevallos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
A 74 shaft would be a direct fit but 75 on are slightly longer because of the rack and pinion

Hello Joel, please help me.
Buy a steering wheel porsche with the following code 964 347 084 00
Is it possible that this code goes directly without modifications in my 1974 vw 1303?
Attached photos of the Porsche steering wheel and vin plate of my car.
Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle steering wheel upgrade Reply with quote

'72 was the first year in which the windshield wiper switch was relocated to the steering column; previously was on the dash. The wiper stalk requires installing a steering wheel with a deeper hub so that the wheel rim does not contact/come too close to the stalk. I think the ones from Porsches don't have a deep enough hub.

A '72 VW Beetle steering wheel has a hub depth of approx. 4" from the bottom edge of the hub to the underside of the steering wheel rim (the side closest to the wiper stalk). I have an early Porsche steering wheel with the 4 wide "X" spokes, that has a depth of 3.5". So even if the splines match, it'd be too close to the wiper stalk to still get your fingers in between. I don't know if the Porsche 914 also used the new wiper stalk due to many shared mechanical parts with Type 1. Implying that if so, a steering wheel from such a 914 might work if it has a correspondingly longer hub depth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: