Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

I recall a thread here on the 1.9 PS switch in regards to the boost valves.

Digijet "late version" P. 24.24b in Bentley makes reference to the PS switch.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

I just wanted to add a word of gratitude for threads like this. I added a 7.5A fuse a couple months ago to the suspect wire after reading about some of the incidents of smoked wires. I don't post a lot these days as others here are much more knowledgeable, but am always reading on here and learning more about these rigs and how to reinforce function and reliability.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Is the power steering switch unfused on the 1.9 Digijet? Is the same fuse location recommended?

My knowledge of the 1.9 is limited, but I'd study the wiring diagrams for a fuse in the fuel pump / fuel injection system. If one isn't shown, I sure would install one in the unfused feed wire!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

The 1.9's that came equipped with power steering have the pressure switch which controls an aux air valve to bump up the idle. I was hoping someone already knew whether or not the system was fused and if not, then whether or not the fuse should go in the same wire.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
...Digijet "late version" P. 24.24b in Bentley makes reference to the PS switch...

Indeed. Of course, that page is only about the vacuum system layout, nothing electrical. The PS switch certainly
exists on the 1.9, but (as is not uncommon) Bentley's documentation keeps it shrouded in mystery...

<shrug>

Confused Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

My '86 Weekender does not have power steering. Are the wires still in place for PS that I need to check anyway? I know it is the original harness.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
My '86 Weekender does not have power steering. Are the wires still in place for PS that I need to check anyway? I know it is the original harness.

I forgot to mention, it is a late '86 manufactured in July.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

The 2 PS switch wires are part of the Digifant harness so I would expect them to be there. Good thing to check.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

I would suggest that everyone install a 7.5 amp inline fuse for the fuel injection / fuel pump circuit.

It is cheap insurance warding off potentially big problems.
Keep in mind that If the fuse does blow, your engine shuts off.

But for me, better that than a fire!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
...Digijet "late version" P. 24.24b in Bentley makes reference to the PS switch...

Indeed. Of course, that page is only about the vacuum system layout, nothing electrical. The PS switch certainly
exists on the 1.9, but (as is not uncommon) Bentley's documentation keeps it shrouded in mystery...

I was a bit vague. My WAG is that the PS switch on the 1.9 is wired somewhat separately, so to speak, of the main harnesses. However. The positive supply wire (from 15 buss?) to PS switch might have similar potential if a dead short happened? Like, it runs along in part of the main harness somewhere? I"m sure a voltmeter and flashlight would shed some light?

There's more unfused wires on a Vanagon than one might think. Personally, I think this all speaks towards install of a ground cut off at battery(ies) or fused link type wire on positive near batter(yes)

I wonder if someone makes a kit for an easy install, easy access ground switch?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I would suggest that everyone install a 7.5 amp inline fuse for the fuel injection / fuel pump circuit.

Dave

And mark up your Bentley wiring diagram for when your van dies and you forgot you installed a fuse.
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

The exact same thing happened to me a while back! I was putting new belts on and making adjustments to the power steering hoses and I must have bumped the wires attached to the PS switch. Buttoned everything up and started the van up. Died immediately. Looked back and there was a puff of white smoke coming out of the driver's side vent. The harness was scorched all the way from where the PS switch wires entered the harness all the way into the box mounted on the drivers side of the engine compartment with the fuel pump/injection relays in it. Looking at where the wires were attached to the PS pump switch, the prongs were bent and touching one another causing them to short out. I figured that I must have bumped them when messing with the hoses. Sad

New (used) harness installed and everything works just fine! That is something I never want to do again.

Installing a fuse is a great idea! Until I do that, I am always making sure these wires are in good working order with the insulated connectors at the switch on tightly!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

OK, this is on to-do my list, now that my van is safely home Cool

I think it's explained how 7.5A was arrived at but what would cause a short/blown fuse/sudden engine stop? It seems like most of the incidents are from the wires being bumped.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

The power feed to the fuel pump and fuel injection is interrupted if the fuse blows.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The power feed to the fuel pump and fuel injection is interrupted if the fuse blows.

I get that but what would create the conditions to blow the fuse? Sounds like most of these cases are from old wiring getting bumped and causing a short. Are there other circumstances that would cause that?

I meant to have picked up the fuse holder and fuses today but I had another inconvenience to manage first. So now I will add an ignition switch to my list.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

well, i haven’t been hitting it too hard.
just kinda casually working on getting things sorted out.

here is the junction box end of the now repaired harness:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this loom contains the fuel pump relay power, coil power, tach lead, and wiring for oil pressure switches, temp gauge sender & coolant level sensor.

had to cut & solder the bullet connections from the old wires onto the new because i couldn’t find any locally. they’re all back in the multipoint connection now. i will wrap it with some split loom before install.

here is the old wiring harness removed from the van:

i also had to completely remove the junction box and repair the power lug that got so hot it melted out of its mount

everything is ready to go back in tomorrow.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

^^^ Sweet...nice work.

SteveMc wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

And mark up your Bentley wiring diagram for when your van dies and you forgot you installed a fuse.

Indeed. FWIW, Dave cleverly installed a clear fuse holder with a "glows-when-it-blows"-type fuse,
easily visible as soon as you open the engine bay. It's such a great idea, I did mine the same way... Cool

I ALSO insulated the PS switch connectors, so it's a real "belt & suspenders"-type fix.
Better this than pants-on-the-ground, or (worst case scenario) pants-on-fire...

Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

Project finally done on my '90: Scratched the heat shrink plan and simply replaced the 90° connectors; also went with a clear fuse holder with glow-when-blows fuse (ironically, the only holders my PepBoys had).

I used a mini fuse. The extra mini fuse is packaged with an extra (giant) maxi fuse, which I converted the A/C fuse to... both are stored in the rear Westy cabinet for convenience. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

Good job kamz 👍
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Check Your Power Steering Switch Wiring!!! Reply with quote

^^^ FWIW: I ran the leads for the "glow" fuse holder out through the grommet
for easy visual from <outside> the junction box if/when necessary... Cool

(Sorry - no pic) Embarassed

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: