Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon Owner, Need help already!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayTeeDolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: New Vanagon Owner, Need help already!! Reply with quote

Hello,

we just bought an 85 Vanagon with a 1.9L Suby swap. The Van has been owned by 2 previous friends. I drove the van this past weekend about 700 miles total. She ran great, no issues at all. After about an hour of being parked in the driveway, I ran up to the store, once again ran great, as I pulled back in to my driveway she just stalled out. I though maybe I just didn't give it enough gas in reverse going up the driveway. I tried to restart the van and it wouldn't start at all. I let it sit for a few hours and tried it again. It turns over but wont just start. It just feels like maybe its not getting fuel? I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key in to the ON position, My buddy says that he changed the white fuel filter (before the pump) last year. he's had the Van for 6 years and has never had this issue, and he asked our buddy that had it before him and he didn't have this issue that he recalls. (although they've had various other issues along the way lol)

other than changing the fuel filter, is there a good way to verify that the fuel pump is actually working properly other than hearing it prime?

or maybe I'm way off and should be looking at the Cap and Plugs?

Thank you for any guidance.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon Owner, Need help already!! Reply with quote

How full is the tank? You mention backing up the driveway? How sloped is the driveway? The fuel tank can fail in such a way that the pickup in the tank gets uncovered with low fuel, nose pointed downhill, braking or cornering.

You need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the engine to measure fuel pressure.
JayTeeDolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon Owner, Need help already!! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
How full is the tank? You mention backing up the driveway? How sloped is the driveway? The fuel tank can fail in such a way that the pickup in the tank gets uncovered with low fuel, nose pointed downhill, braking or cornering.

You need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the engine to measure fuel pressure.

I was worried about the same thing, it is pointed nose down, I put 4 gallons into a about a 1/3 of a tank. I'll work on getting a fuel pressure gauge and checking that I'm getting proper flow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: