Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best starter?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Best starter? Reply with quote

So, of all the current options, including FLAPS, what is the best option for a new starter, including remanufactured, for my '79?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Duralast from AutoZone. The O'Reiley's brand ain't that great.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

^at one point, one of those FLAPS sold rebuilt bus starters with two brushes
instead of four. That FLAPS wasn't Autozone.
Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

I bought the tdi starter adaptor plate from bus depot and installed a self supporting starter from a Jetta. Solved my cranking noises.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

I'd try to find a shop to rebuild the original. Auto electric shops are getting rare though

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

Bosch reman are good units from my experience.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

I THINK the late buses have the luxury of using the GoWesty gear reduction starter... Guaranteed to make your cranking issues and wallet disappear!

For the record, Genuine Bosch starters haven’t started to suck just yet. Get them while we can.....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
musktchup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

hands down auto zone.
put mine on in 99' along with a hard start kit and has never been an issue since.
good torque and speed

Also has life time warranty.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

All the new Bosch starters I’ve seen in the last year or so have all been manufactured in Mexico and sound like shit. I’m currently running one from Autozone (lifetime warranty) with no issues and there’s an autozone in just about every town if you need to warranty it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

Yeah, the ReMans all have problems but the Bosch SR-17X reMan is not too bad. These are very heavy duty starters too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

This was the last FLAPS starter I installed after three days of driving. Luckily it jammed into the flywheel and never came back, which only caused us to come skidding to a stop in the middle of an intersection, nothing unsafe or anything....

Robbie

Link

EDIT: Don’t ever do this with a standard starter; only automatic starters have the self-supporting bushing to withstand a bench test like this. Standard starters must be tested installed in a transaxle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

Bendejo wrote:
I bought the tdi starter adaptor plate from bus depot and installed a self supporting starter from a Jetta. Solved my cranking noises.

Do you have pictures of this and or more info? Was it a bolt in situation and good to go? What year tdi motor?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Bendejo wrote:

Do you have pictures of this and or more info? Was it a bolt in situation and good to go? What year tdi motor?

Pretty straightforward, good instructions included with the adaptor. I couldn't find a tdi starter in the junkyard, so I ended up using a starter from a gas model 2.0 ABA engine, somewhat ironic as that is the same engine as what is in the bus now.

The stock starter always rattled after the high compression engine was installed but that's no longer an issue.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yeah, the ReMans all have problems but the Bosch SR-17X reMan is not too bad. These are very heavy duty starters too.

Fine for rigs with early bellhousing but will not work with the later 091 bellhousing. Crying or Very sad

For a '76 and later, I don't know if the 2.1L Vanagon starter will work, but suspect it would but have never tried it. This would be any easy way to pick up 33% more cranking power. The only potential problem is the clocking of the starter solenoid, at least TTBOMK.

FWIW, I am still running the same used starter I bolted up to my 74 when I installed an 091 tranny in it over 27 years ago. Since then, I have had new brushes installed twice IIRC and lubed the starter solenoid once.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

if you want NEW, STOCK and economical and are willing to goto a vanagon starter, the solenoid is clocked different.. and I'm unsure if it'll interfer with the gas tank? so look closely at both.

then there's a company having NEW starters made and rock auto has them for ~$70
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/power+select,17066N,starter+motor,4152

I've only been running 2 of them since May 2018.. one in my 1.8T vanagon and one in my 2.1 vanagon. YMMV

about power select http://powerselectparts.com/about-us

Quote:
Power Select Professional Grade 100% New Starter

Technology in starting systems has advanced dramatically in automotive and powersports applications in recent years. The demand for starters that can provide reliable torque in any environmental condition increases each year. Automotive and powersports enthusiasts demand dependable starting power regardless of the conditions. Power Select Starters are designed to exceed the performance of the original starter in your vehicle or any remanufactured starter sold as a replacement.

Features & Benefits Include:
Consistent starting power with a high quality solenoid that properly engages the starter drive with the flywheel in your vehicle every time the ignition key is turned
High standards for components like wiring, brushes, insulation, bearings and coatings for consistent performance in all environmental conditions
High performance machining of the starter casing for ease of installation and solid joining of the starter housing and your vehicle's mounting surfaces
Dynamic design, innovative technology, and easy to install.
Power Select units incorporate many features to optimize wear resistance and deliver consistent performance, including OEM-Type Diodes on rectifier assemblies and welded diode to rectifier lead frame assembly
All products go through stringent validation processes before packaging and release to the market. Tests include:
Endurance Testing
Humidity Testing
Power Thermal Cycling
Vibration Tests
Salt Spray Tests
Power Thermal Cycle Tested from -40°C to 200°C to meet minimum of 5000 cycles.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 025911023, 025911023A, 17066

POWER SELECT Warranty Information
12 months

Quote:
About Power Select
Feel like you are caught between the questionable quality of remanufactured and the high-cost of OE alternators and starters? Now you have a better solution, Power Select offers you 100% all new, true OE alternators & starters, at prices that will send the reman guys away with their hair on fire. Today, you can start your engines and keep those batteries charged with a premier name in alternators & starters. Power Select is your #1 choice for original equipment replacement alternators & starters.

Building automotive parts to exact OE specification is no easy task. OE certification requires strict adherence to stringent precision and performance criteria. These exacting criteria are applied in the manufacturing of all Power Select Alternators & Starters. Power Select replacement parts are engineered, quality built and 100% factory tested, under extreme operating conditions, before packaging and shipment to your parts supplier.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've only been running 2 of them since May 2018.. one in my 1.8T vanagon and one in my 2.1 vanagon. YMMV

Wow, did they come with a flux capacitor, too? Laughing

I'm going to try the screwdriver across the solenoid posts this weekend and see if it's just the solenoid first (a local AutoZone has a new solenoid in stock, according to the website).

If it still doesn't start, then I'll look into the other options - the rock auto one sounds good, and I've had decent experience with them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

hahah,, I know I'm always living in the past...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
hahah,, I know I'm always living in the past...

I thought your were predicting two starter failures over the coming year. Smile

Living in the past would be writing 2006 on your checks.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I THINK the late buses have the luxury of using the GoWesty gear reduction starter... Guaranteed to make your cranking issues and wallet disappear!

For the record, Genuine Bosch starters haven’t started to suck just yet. Get them while we can.....

Robbie

Nope, GoWesty don't make one for the late Bay/early Vanagon standard transmission buses, just the automatics. They told me that they could do the automatics because they bellhousing on those was the same throughout the years, letting it cover a broader spectrum.

Too bad Sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best starter? Reply with quote

usually it is the solenoid. I prefer to keep the old starter if I know its history. we don't experience the expanded windings like larger block motors sometimes do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: