Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Hey fellow barndoorers,

So I bought a 52 Barndoor a few months ago. It already had a T-1 swingaxle conversion done. What I discovered when I put it on the hoist was the spring plates are junk. So I want to set things up properly.

The trans is a long axle type swing. I already have cut and offset spring plates I had installed in a 65 bus I used to own. I also have factory upper shock mounts which were carefully removed from a mid 60's bus.

My question is this. Should I use a short axle trans setup to provide better clearance when it comes to removing the rear wheels? Also, will the spring plates I had on my 65 work on the torsion bars that are stock on a 52 barndoor? Also, where should I weld the upper shock mounts? At same location as the 60's bus, on the frame loop inside the inner fender?

And one more thing. I have researched and found that barndoors only came with one metal shift rod bushing at the front of the long shift rod. None in the back. Has someone successfully installed one in the back? There is no tube. Just the cross members with holes for the shift rod.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Trying to fix all the screwed up stuff on this bus so I can enjoy it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Sweet! Canada is barndoor central Cool we are running a factory spring bushing in the rear top hat as well as the front, works great....everyone who drives the bus says it’s the best shifting bus they ever felt. As far as springplates...you don’t need anything fancy for a BD....remember the torsion is beetle width Wink straight factory bug short axles/tubes and plates....no need for stepped ones on a Barney.

Would love to see some more pics, where did this bus come from?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Josh.

Indeed there are a few barndoors here in Canada.

I will post up some additional pics when I have completed the updates.

The bus was for sale in Canada last summer. I'm sure you have seen it....lol

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

cool! yeah a 53 rear hatch kombi appeared in the middle of the night to the shop last week.....dime a dozen up here I tell ya Cool

I forgot u asked about rear shock brackets too......we had to fab some bolt on ones up, ill have to get Johnny to crawl under the bus and take a pic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks Josh.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Hey Josh,

Any luck getting pics of the shock mounts? I presume they bolt where the original lever shocks were and point upwards to catch the top shock bolt, correct?

Also, the original spring plates are certainly easy to do a T-1 swingaxle setup. Only problem is the spring plates that came with the bus are horrific. I can't believe the previous owner actually drove the bus with these (See pics above). I am looking for either original BD spring plates or some new ones that have the bus size spline and the T-1 style 3 bolt triangulated end. Can anyone help? I need these asap.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

What sort of wheels are you planning on running? That will determine whether you should run short axles or long axles. Short axles will help getting wheels on and off.

The spring plates on a barndoor are the same width apart as a beetle. When using beetle axles you won't need any spacers.

Any bus specific spring plates will work on your bus. If you plan on running adjustable spring plates (good idea on a lowered bus) they will need a small amount of modification as the casting on the end of the torsion bar tube is differently shaped than a 55 on bus

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Scotty. Very much appreciated.

The bus has aftermarket Raider wheels. 15x5. I had issues removing the wheels, hence the reason for going short axle with narrow early beetle brake drums.

So does anyone have the spring plates I need in stock?

Looking to buy asap.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Update....;0)

I have found spring plates.

Nate at WagensWest hooked me up.

Thanks Nate!!!

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Sorry man, I honestly totally forgot! I’ll try
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Barndoor - rear spring plates/shocks Reply with quote

Hey Josh,

Nate also hooked me up with shock mounts. I forgot to mention it in my last post. Thanks again for offering to help. We are all great people in this hobby... :D

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: