Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to split a stubborn case?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Can anyone give advice on how to split a very, very stubborn case (after the third piece has been removed of course)? Have checked numerous times for all the bolts being out, incl. the long one that goes through the block and of course don´t want to pry into it with anything sharp, so the only resort was a careful banging a little here and there with a wooden block inbetween, but that was naive, sits as a rock.
Is there some special tool (pressing?) available?

Dennis
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Maybe try some heat to warm up the block (to soften the sealant)
A thin screwdriver at the top above the flywheel and a hammer.
Or try this guys method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMP05Gtca38
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Did you take off the flywheel?
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
Maybe try some heat to warm up the block (to soften the sealant)
A thin screwdriver at the top above the flywheel and a hammer.
Or try this guys method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMP05Gtca38

I tried heating up the case, for the same reason you mention, but had only a hair drier and don´t think it generated enough heat.
I´ve seen that Youtube video and it was far too easy.

Last edited by dennis 356 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Did you take off the flywheel?

Of course, its just a bare case with crank and rods inside.

Dennis
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Mr. Dennis 356:

You should understand that among the reasons it may be difficult to separate the halves. it might be that the case has become deformed, which would produce the same result.

Proceed with caution.

S.J.Szabo
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

ensys wrote:
Mr. Dennis 356:

You should understand that among the reasons it may be difficult to separate the halves. it might be that the case has become deformed, which would produce the same result.

Proceed with caution.

Thanks for the heads up ensys. Checked the case and it doesn´t appear warped, problem is instead someone back in the day smudged on what appears far more glue than necessary and now it sits solid. But I´m going to device some simple expanding tools to place across the sump apperture, between the two sturdy studs bellow the flywheel and additional two studs threaded through the holes above the flywheel, would be surprised if that didn´t have any effect. At a same time knocking carefully on the case of course while expanding the tools.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Look for a heat gun from a tool supply store or a tool rental company. They will get it hot e`nuff to soften the sealant. They are like a hair drier but so much hotter.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Look for a heat gun from a tool supply store or a tool rental company. They will get it hot e`nuff to soften the sealant. They are like a hair drier but so much hotter.

Hi,

I have a heat gun in a garage out in the country side and am already planning to go there this upcomming weekend to get both the gun, a treaded rod, pipes and some hardware to fabricate the small expanders.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

On early cases, the 6 main case bolts used copper sealing washers that can become deformed and lock on the threads. In those conditions, you will have to pry them off to separate the case halves. On later engines, a steel washer with a bevel on the back side to allow use of a small rubber sealing ring. The sealing rings can get forced in the stud bore, making the case stuck. Be sure to remove them before separating the halves.
Is there any movement at all? Just above the crankshaft gears on the split line of the case halves, there is a place where a screwdriver can be wedged in between two bosses to help start separation. Did you remove the two nuts behind the flywheel at the cam bore? No wavy washers stuck on any of the small studs? Idea
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
On early cases, the 6 main case bolts used copper sealing washers that can become deformed and lock on the threads. In those conditions, you will have to pry them off to separate the case halves. On later engines, a steel washer with a bevel on the back side to allow use of a small rubber sealing ring. The sealing rings can get forced in the stud bore, making the case stuck. Be sure to remove them before separating the halves.
Is there any movement at all? Just above the crankshaft gears on the split line of the case halves, there is a place where a screwdriver can be wedged in between two bosses to help start separation. Did you remove the two nuts behind the flywheel at the cam bore? No wavy washers stuck on any of the small studs? Idea

Jack,

This case is about 1960 with the bevelled washers and I made sure all are off, including the bolts/washers behind the flywheel. There´s no movement whatsoever in the case, but it is interesting what you pointed out about the spot for a screwdriver, will test tomorrow. Other than that I think when I´ll be done with those small expanding tools and placing them than in different spots on the case, it will give way....
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

[quote="dennis 356"]
Jacks wrote:

Jack,

Odd Jack, went down to my cellar today to check the slot in the case for the screwdriver you´ve mentioned and there´s none. Have two 1960 cases (already split by others when I bought them) and both have them, so this one can´t be 1960 and maybe a couple of years up, but rather earlier (although still can´t say as the third piece wasn´t correct).
With the slot in place I can imagen it being relatively easy peasy to split it, to big help anyway......
Dennis

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

I struggled with this last week as well. I'm a long time VW guy with my trusting oil pump case splitting tool that never fails me. I really wanted a reliable tool for 356 so I didn't have to go through all of the suggested voodoo I've read about on various posts. Long story short, I made a couple of really simple expansion tools with some threaded rod and bolted them to the case where the transmission bolts up. A little pressure to the expansion tools and a few taps on the case is all it took. Good luck.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
I struggled with this last week as well. I'm a long time VW guy with my trusting oil pump case splitting tool that never fails me. I really wanted a reliable tool for 356 so I didn't have to go through all of the suggested voodoo I've read about on various posts. Long story short, I made a couple of really simple expansion tools with some threaded rod and bolted them to the case where the transmission bolts up. A little pressure to the expansion tools and a few taps on the case is all it took. Good luck.

Thanks Envious, good to hear this approach works. I haven´t got around making the expansion tools yet, but will during this week.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Case split now with the help of my little friends (see pics), easy and very effective without any need for tapping, prying, heating etc on the case.
After taken off the cam gear, it finally revealed the case being from 8/59 so there´s a clear transition in third pieces between 1959 and 1960 (case has later third piece), but surely many of you already knew that, I didnt.

Dennis

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

The correct sealant for the case split is Loctite 574 and will allow the splitting the case easy.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The correct sealant for the case split is Loctite 574 and will allow the splitting the case easy.

Thanks for the tips Starbucket, will use it when resealing again, but who knows how many handled the case over the years, not that I´m any pro either...... Wink

Dennis
speedstahguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

This tool has always worked well for me:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D000%2D121

Pull the oil pump out, put this gizmo in and expand it. Never fails to pop the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

speedstahguy wrote:
This tool has always worked well for me:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D000%2D121

Pull the oil pump out, put this gizmo in and expand it. Never fails to pop the case.

Doesn't work on a Porsche case. It's 3 pieces.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split a stubborn case? Reply with quote

Very Smart you made that too. My bet was on the cam bolts behind the flywheel though. I remember them on some engines. Not sure if VW did it too?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: