Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

My neighbor and I discovered a small crack in his B case right below the rear side of the oil cooler mount, which leaks a fair amount of oil.

He says he remembers that one issue of the magazine had an article regarding welding case cracks, has all issues since 2001(?), but can't find the article.

Can anyone tell us which issue he should look for?

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

No but the cases are weldable. I would take it to Ollies Engineering in Havasu City, AZ or one of the Porsche machine shops in CA. My understanding is that there is a tig weld procedure including a preheat of 350-400F. There are also a couple of types of filler rod that can be used. You need a good sized tig machine.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

X2 on Ollie's. They did some case work on my engine when they were still in Santa Ana and it was a top notch job.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

A more complex process is also covered in a Chuck House article in Volume 27/4 Nov/Dec 2003
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass on the article information to him. He's not going to do it himself, but likes to learn, even when hiring someone else to do it...

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

I've actually fixed quite a few at our shop in San Clemente without major disassembly or welding. Depends on where the crack is. If it's at the side nearest to the flywheel, it's a good candidate. Usually done in one day, and a good permanent repair.

Last edited by Jacks on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

Hey Jack:

Unfortunately, he had it done at a shop in Riverside. He had stripped most of the case down, including removing the 3/4 head/cylinders/pistons and other stuff. The guy then wanted him to remove more stuff, including the 1/2 carb/intake, but would not lend him the hand tools to do it. As if my friend is going to leave a Porsche engine and steal a couple of tools, or break them even though he's demonstrated that he can turn a wrench. He somehow got the additional stuff off.

When my friend got the engine back, he noticed that the top of the welded pedestal (crack went across top requiring welding, drilling, re-planing) now slants toward the rear (had to adjust fan shroud to keep off of slanting oil cooler) and found a fair amount of case shavings/cuttings within the case. I advised him to drain/strain the oil several times to get the shavings out.

The guy reportedly was rather difficult to deal with (refused to take my friend's number to call when ready), so my friend isn't even going back...

Unfortunately, my friend does not believe in the saying "you get what you pay for", and always goes cheap and ends up paying more in the long run by follow-up remedies/personal labor.

If things go sideways on this, I'll pass your contact information on to him.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
He's not going to do it himself, but likes to learn, even when hiring someone else to do it...

Best,
Thom
Thom, I thought that I would offer to work on his car due to this post, but in light of your further revealations about his "thrifty" approach to his 356, I'll pass.
Jack
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 Registry magazine issue - case welding Reply with quote

I completely understand.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: