Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 2 steering wheel in a THING
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

Seen a few pics of TYPE2 steering wheels installed in a THING.
Any idea what year range will work?
I have heard thw the steering shafts are different diameters on a 73 compared to a 74 THING.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

There are some steering wheels that look like Type 2 that are not.
Type 2 steering wheels are a larger diameter, so skinny thighs might be required.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

The wheel you are talking about was used on things up to serial #183 2346 524, which means from production start ('69) to very early '73 (The once without the scoops in the back). The part number of the wheel you are looking for is:

111 415 651 E , just like the one I have on my '72.

According to my manual the steering column is universal through the entire production run:

PN: 113 415 501 E.

Be careful cause the tube, seals and controls are different starting at the same production number when the wheel changed in early '73.

Hope that helps.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

Can't always trust the manual, '73 and '74 steering columns are different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

73Nick wrote:
Seen a few pics of TYPE2 steering wheels installed in a THING.
Any idea what year range will work?
I have heard thw the steering shafts are different diameters on a 73 compared to a 74 THING.

Hello
I think I know what you mean...
181's with RGBs also till March 1973 have a standard bug steering wheel that looks a little like a bus steering wheel Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

It seems like there is always a temptation to "retrograde" some of the safety features on our cars, whether it's tail lights, steering wheels, or whatever.

Removing safety features on cars, machines, tools, etc., can be asking for trouble. I would hate to see somebody blame himself for an injury that results from removing safety guards, or some other safety device from anything.

Just a crotchety old man's opinion Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 steering wheel in a THING Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:

That's a regular "71 beetle wheel. Oddly they are harder to come by than other years- but they pop up at swap meets really cheap.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: