Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

But what to do now and why is this happening? The noise was from the front wheels when moving…very hi frequency but resonated thru the bus while driving. Well, I found that the brake shoe springs were in contact with the drum hub while turning. Photos show where the contact was occurring on the springs. You can also see in the last photo where there is a blackish ring worn into the center hub where the spring was contacting…but just barely. I am not sure what the proper fix is at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1967 Westy. Stock.

Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Before I added my front disc brake kit in 2015, I redid my front drum brakes:

The shoe springs I was using, forced the long wire into the wheel cylinder, it's pushing hard on its own, you can see the coils straining against it. Perhaps your shoe springs have a particular bend to them, that makes them directional, or top and bottom.

I would try turning your lower spring around, so that the long wire presses against the WC.

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

I could try turning the springs around but it seems that would be a pretty big bend to go around the WC. I don't ever remember the spring coming into contact with the WC. I would have to do this to both top and bottom springs because they are both contacting the hub.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Looks like all new components, that’s good, but sometimes bad in that the parts are not always made to exact original specifications. Either the hub of your drum is too big in diameter or possibly the springs don’t have the correct bends. If you have the old springs maybe compare them, possibly reuse them. As you mention, you could try moving the springs so the straight section is further out, contacting the WC base. Maybe some others will chime in having had this similar situation and provide advice.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Yeah, all new stuff and you may be on to something. I dug up some old photos of original springs. I think my new ones are wound incorrectly for a bus or they are the wrong ones. Looks like the originals have the long straight section exiting the coil on the same plane as the hooks. May have to look at other springs.

Bill
livnlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

ive had this happen in the past and I bent a small amount of curve into the center straight section of the return spring. it solved the problem for me
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

I think first I will try to make adjustments on the spring itself. If not successful with that I may think about removing some metal off the inner hub where the spring rubs. It does not have to be mucn. You can clearly see in the photo the dark ring where the rubbing was happening. Has anyone ever tried turning down this area on a lathe?
Bill

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Springs should not rub on hub or wheel cylinder. Aftermarket springs are made wrong. Look at what position the coil is where it transitions to the long section. Bending the springs works, but probably not the best way. Sometimes flipping the springs works also
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Yours is the top pic, the middle from the gallery, the lower one I posted of 3/4 ton front brakes.
I think the springs you are using are made differently. I would spin them around, or replace them.

Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Original early springs:

Installed correctly:

I would find original parts, can not imagine new springs are worth anything, like most new parts.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Since mine is a ‘67, is that considered early? I see the springs posted with the curve but are they for a much earlier bus? The front brakes are different on a ‘67 and I can’t remember if it was a one year only deal. Unfotunately, I no longer have my originals. Guess I will probably have to find some originals.

Bill
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

Why not drill a hole for the spring that gives you the clearance you need?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

[quote="Starbucket"]Why not drill a hole for the spring that gives you the clearance you need?[/quote

Do you mean in the brake shoe backing plate?
Bill
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

[quote="Pepperbilly"]
Starbucket wrote:
Why not drill a hole for the spring that gives you the clearance you need?[/quote

Do you mean in the brake shoe backing plate?
Bill

No, in the shoe to lower the spring so it doesn't rub.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

I went ahead and bent the straight part on the springs and flipped them. Test drive was a success so the frequency noise is gone. What I don’t like is now the springs actually rub against the wheel cylinder housing. That can’t be proper. Still gotta come up with something better. Anybody actually have the proper springs?

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

I believe I have found the problem. I dug out my original drum and compared the inner hub with the new one. Looks like the original has a longer cut on the hub which creates more space for the springs. Glad I hold on to my old parts. The original is in the 1st photo, the new one 2nd photo.

Bill

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

why did you get new drums? could the original drums not be turned?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

My old drums were too far out of tolerance, otherwise I would have turned them. Looks like I will have to shave some material off the inner hub for more clearance. Hopefully easy.

Bill
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake hi frequency noise…FOUND! Reply with quote

I once had a similar noise when leaving a car show. Some of the people there I knew. I found out later that the high pitched noise coming from the front of my ‘71 camper with front disc brakes. I pulled over to look underneath and saw a styrofoam cup wedge near the rotor. A guess it was a joke. My passengers were laughing. Ha ha. I did get even with them, that’s another story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: