Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Just to make it easier to find how the last rebuild with the Weddle Ring & Pinion and using Swepco 202 is performing. It is also in Sodos post but I am going to keep the updates on this one for anyone interested.

FYI: 1987 Syncro Westfalia (6000lbs) EJ22 Subaru Engine. 215/75/15 tires. Stock gearing. Decoupler. Sport VC. It was originally built by AA transaxle and the ring & pinion failed with less than 30k miles. This transaxle was again rebuilt by Greg Sayers (Mr. Gas) in Colorado Springs. It has all aluminum cases. AA bearing retainer plate. Steel Caged Gear Idler Bearings. Oiling Plates. Stainless steel locker rod and anodized bushing. Stock gearing. New Weddle Ring & Pinion. It was also drilled and tapped for temperature sensor and Oil cooler return line. This transaxle has an external oil cooler and filtering system. It is using an inline Weddle 25 micron stainless steel filter, Weddle Pump, and a Magnom Mini magnetic filter. I also use rare earth magnets around the housing on the Weddle filter. The transaxle was put into service on Oct 10, 2016. Odometer reading 87,640. Oct 23, 2016 Swepco 202 replaced at 88,667 miles (Break in Gear Oil).

FIRST INSPECTION: BREAK IN GEAR OIL

Link

SECOND INSPECTION:

I now have about 4000 miles on my latest transaxle and wanted to document the filtering process again.

This filter cleaning and check has about 3000 miles since cleaned last. 1200 of those miles were just put on when taking a failed transaxle to Mr.Gas in Colorado Springs from here in Utah. With a little detour for adventures.

I was really concerned about what the filler hole magnet picked up last time for just being in the splash. It was much cleaner this time. I would like to see others install a filler bung magnet to see the results compared to mine. I don't believe anyone else is doing this as of yet.

Here is a clip of what all the filters captured:

Link

THIRD INSPECTION:

Here is documentation of my filter cleaning and check. This was done today Mar 24, 2017 @ 97,321 miles. Last checked @ 91,626 miles so this has 5,695 miles of use. It is much cleaner than the last check. I also wanted to document that I am running Swepco 202.

The bung magnet is being utilized in the filler hole. It still picks up some debris.

The photo with the PIN is showing all the swarf picked up by the filtering system. I run the pump and filter when the transaxle temps are above 100ºf. So my pump runs almost all the time.

Link

FOURTH INSPECTION:

Here is more documentation with another filter cleaning and check. Aug 14, 2017 @107,115 miles, 9,765 miles since the last check in March. The swarf was minimal again. Total miles on rebuild is: 19,475. No noises and the transaxle is still running Swepco 202. We put 3,552 miles on the van last week alone on a road trip. Still shifting great and running cool. I have never seen the transaxle over 160ºf even this summer.

Link

FIFTH INSPECTION:

Documentation of the filter cleaning. Jan 06, 2018 @ 117, 400 miles. 10,285 miles since last check. Still performing well with 29,760 miles on the rebuild and using a Weddle Ring & Pinion. Very Happy Filler hole bung magnet was clean.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Thx for the documentation SJ.

Filler bung magnet only contacts moving oil, prob not enough time to move the particles out of the oil in the short time the oil is near the magnet. Except it will purify every drip that sits on it overnight. The bung magnet is interesting, but the drain magnet is where the action is. No question the filler bung magnet has "ease of access".

Contrast the filler bung magnet placement to the drain bung magnet, that has a column of dirty oil above it all night. Metal is dropping down by gravity (all night long) so some of this metal reaches the magnet before the next time the oil is stirred. And the magnet can "draw" some of this metal off its vertical path ---> towards it, and perhaps holds it, so the oil it's drawing from is prob a 'cone' rather than just a vertical column.

The tiny particles don't move fast in gear oil by gravity OR magnetic attraction. My observation of metal-contaminated gear oil was three times, settling one gallon each time. So I'm no expert, but I did watch gear oil more than anyone I know. It would not take much to unseat me as the King watcher of oil settling. That monkeybusiness is flogged pretty well in another thread called Proposal:Settling metal fines out of gear oil that's still fresh

It was in a clear bottle where the oil was about 6 inches deep. It took appx 3 weeks for the metal dust to drop to the bottom. So 6 inches in ~20 days is about 1/3 inch (10mm) per day. Think about that for a few moments. Particles drop out of gear oil (by gravity) at the rate of appx 10 mm per day. There's viscosity, and temperatures, all kinds of variables, but lets just go with 10mm per day.

So the magnet is gathering nearby particles. It pull some horizontally if they are already very close but most of the afro came down from above. AND only if there is clear space on the magnet, and not too much buildup already. Particles are dropping downward (from above this magnet) at 10mm per day. So each night the magnet catches the particles from about 1-2 cc of your oil. Perhaps more than that, but still "not much". But if you park for 4 or 5 days, you can assume that all the metal above the magnet has been caught and held. If your magnet is fairly clean and has capacity to hold it. Maybe 5cc or 10cc of oil purified.

Until the magnet is covered. Then you drive the van, and the violent motion washes off whatever particles can't be held. Probably everything beyond 2mm or 3 mm thick? Then that night the magnet gathers up another afro from the nearby (& above) contaminated oil, faster if the oils got lots of metal in it.

If you have BIG metal particles they hold a lot better though, but you don't want big particles, that means your trans is already going south and you're a little late to be concerning yourself with clean oil. But in general you wanna milk more miles out so cleaner is STILL better. But it woulda been better to keep it clean back when the bearings were tight & new.

Well anyway there ya have it (JMHO Wink ). I'm a fan of filler bung magnets for their ease of access, but they don't compare (in my mind) to one situated in the oil all night long.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Hello Ron
Thanks for the great detail. You always provide, quality information. I'm glad to see the gear box appears to be doing well. Forgive me here, because I've never monitored a gearbox this closely. Do you feel the wear is acceptable? I have no gauge how much material in a filter between services is normal. I've always been a 30,000 mile fluid changer. In 30,000 miles there is usually some material that has settled on the magnet. Gear oil when not full of glitter is normal to me. I always expect some wear. I'm curious what your thoughts are, on the info you have gathered. It is way more detailed then anything I have done.
Thanks
Andrew
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough report! Looks like your transaxle is doing really well due to your diligence and your rebuilder, both. Well done!

I take it you're still loving the 202 in there?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Very well done, Thanks for the great info!!!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

The black stuff is the metal dust that's good to remove from the oil. It passes right thru filters and only a magnet can hold it. But a magnet can hold only a very thin film right on its surface, it washes off easily. So its good to keep a clean surface to remove all the black ferrous coating that you can get. And the more black stuff you remove, the longer the bearings will last. And of course the magnet holds the bigger, visible particles too, but you don't WANT your trans to be making the bigger stuff.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Thanks for the thorough report! Looks like your transaxle is doing really well due to your diligence and your rebuilder, both. Well done!

I stake it you're still loving the 202 in there?

The Swepco 202 still shifts easily when cold. This past summer the gear oil never reached above 160° even during the hot summer months and extended highway driving speeds. The box still usually runs between 70-80° above ambient temps with the gear oil cooler fan turned off and 50-60° above ambient with the fan on. I circulate and filter the gear oil with oil temps above 80-90° and turn the cooling fan on at 140°.

The van saw about 24k miles this year. Many were highway miles across Canada and the western USA. I am very diligent watching the gauges and keeping an eye on the transaxle temperature. If I can get 100k miles out of each rebuild, I will be very happy. 4-5 years. Very Happy

I have a fresh rebuild in the shop and when this box finally gives up the ghost it will have some of "Gears" gears installed, along with all the new parts that are available.

So yes, I'm still loving the 202.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Who did the last rebuild?
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Who did the last rebuild?
-d

Mr. Gas
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Whoops - too slow on the draw!
www.thebassspa.com

Last edited by Jake de Villiers on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

I stake it you're still loving the 202 in there?

The Swepco 202 still shifts easily when cold. This past summer the gear oil never reached above 160° even during the hot summer months and extended highway driving speeds. The box still usually runs between 70-80° above ambient temps with the gear oil cooler fan turned off and 50-60° above ambient with the fan on. I circulate and filter the gear oil with oil temps above 80-90° and turn the cooling fan on at 140°.

The van saw about 24k miles this year. Many were highway miles across Canada and the western USA. I am very diligent watching the gauges and keeping an eye on the transaxle temperature. If I can get 100k miles out of each rebuild, I will be very happy. 4-5 years. Very Happy

I have a fresh rebuild in the shop and when this box finally gives up the ghost it will have some of "Gears" gears installed, along with all the new parts that are available.

So yes, I'm still loving the 202.

Cool. I'll have to try it next time. The 210 makes it just a bitch to get into second when its cold out.
www.thebassspa.com
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

The van saw about 24k miles this year.

Shocked

My Westy and our two household daily drivers see about half of that mileage COMBINED.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

thank you for posting this...awesome documentation.
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Like SJ I’ve been running 202 in a fresh rebuild for 20k miles. Also with filtering and cooling at 4th gear/MS. So far close to zero metallic debris when I check and change the filter (thanks for the documentation SJ - I’m bad with that!)
The 202 is definetly about 10 degrees cooler than the 201, and shifts way easier when cold. My transmission temps even when pushing it up Colorado passes in the summer never get above 140.
Time will tell if less metal debris = longer life, but I’m sleeping a lot easier at night knowing that Gears has our collective transaxle backs with new goodies should these home brew solutions fail.
Cheers to the syncro crowd and vanagon science!!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle Rebuild Weddle R&P Swepco 202 Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Hello Ron
Thanks for the great detail. You always provide, quality information. I'm glad to see the gear box appears to be doing well. Forgive me here, because I've never monitored a gearbox this closely. Do you feel the wear is acceptable? I have no gauge how much material in a filter between services is normal. I've always been a 30,000 mile fluid changer. In 30,000 miles there is usually some material that has settled on the magnet. Gear oil when not full of glitter is normal to me. I always expect some wear. I'm curious what your thoughts are, on the info you have gathered. It is way more detailed then anything I have done.
Thanks
Andrew

Andrew, I am not sure how much wear is acceptable. I plan on rebuilding the gearbox again when it reaches 100k miles. Very Happy
The transaxle has been making less swarf as it has been wearing in. I did notice that the first filter checks had more particles than the last, as things wear in. I am not concerned about the "Glitter" that can be seen. I believe that is normal wear and tear from use. But if you see what has been called "Unicorn Blood" then you have an issue. This is from my first transaxle failure.

Link

Now that I am filtering and cooling changing the gear oil at 30k miles seems overkill, but I will do a yearly new gear oil change. That is coming up soon.

I posted this for some of the transaxle gurus to watch, comment, and to document the Swepco 202 gear oil.
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info!

I just bought some Swepco 202 for my next service (was running 201), good to know its working well.

I've been making my own fill plugs with rare earth magnets for awhile since its the only way to check if anything is going on without draining all the fluid. I have found it to be a very good indicator of something going on. The first one I installed was to monitor the condition of my truck transmission that started to develop a 5th gear whine. Just before I decided to swap in a new trans I was pulling almost an inch of furry metal particles off the fill plug every 100miles of driving. This is with rare earth magnets, btw the particles don't get washed off. Once particles are on there they really don't want to come off.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I am not concerned about the "Glitter" that can be seen. I believe that is normal wear and tear from use. But if you see what has been called "Unicorn Blood" then you have an issue.

Unicorn blood (aluminum or magnesium) is generated by a trans that is SO WORN OUT & sloppy that gears and stuff are rubbing on the aluminum or magnesium housing. The rubbing part comes AFTER the bearings are COMPLETELY worn out. Either due to poor maintenance, or due to a crap rebuild. Or both, often a big engine and a lead foot thrown in. Or reasonable driving, but excessive weight. All of which suggest your oil should be "maintained better" (= cleaner). If you want a longer lasting trans.

The human eye can only detect down to ~6 microns. A 6 microns particle is like 10,000 times bigger than the Extreme Pressure (EP) protection layer that high-falutin oils provide. So if you were standing as tall as the thickness of the EP layer, then a 6 micron particle is like 11 miles high. To say you're "OK" with visible particles in your oil, and spend extra for oil with EP additives that add a protection layer 1/10,000 the thickness of that visible particle, is a false economy. Not trying to give you a beatdown SJ, just using your example to put a scale to this stuff. I know you have filters and magnets, your oil much cleaner than most.

So what about all the 5 micron, 4,3,2,1 micron particles you CANNOT see? You can only manage what you can manage, but my point is, if visible..... (glitter, or sparklies) is WAY beyond what you "could have managed" by changing oil sooner. Your oil should be clean. Imagine a rebuilder who doesn't clean your trans parts before assembling your rebuild. It should be clean.

Probably should qualify that... "Clean for longevity." If you have budget available for rebuilding then you can balance the work/$$ of keeping clean oil with the longevity available. For many owners, gear oil is NOT just a $16 maintenance item. But it's just "easy" for others.

Homercules wrote:
This is with rare earth magnets, btw the particles don't get washed off. Once particles are on there they really don't want to come off.

Yep bigger particles stick really well; but by the time you have bigger particles, it's already over for that trans. At this point you're just trying to eke out a few more miles, walking that line between "getting miles" and "ruining other parts that could have gone around again". That truck trans you described is "gone" it's not a real useful comparison to a trans that shows a magnet that still has "clear/bare spots"

The very small particles that are like black dust don't stick very well to a magnet, except right at the magnet surface, inside the boundary layer of non-moving fluid. If they stick like snowflakes while the vehicle is parked, extending outward into moving fluid, they certainly wash off, and go back for a tour of duty around your trans, creating even more black dust.

A worthy goal, is to extend the life of your trans BEFORE the big particles start to arrive (and pile up on your magnet like that truck trans example). You will never rid your trans of wear of course, but clean oil minimizes wear, and the trans will most certainly last longer. Unless you break something but that's a different issue.

Not sure how old you guys are but I ain't all THAT old and I recall seeing cars, trucks with oil-bath air cleaners. And just a screen for an engine oil filter. Look at an original mid-60s VW beetle, it wasn't all THAT long ago, but NOBODY designs with 60,000 mile engine lifetimes anymore. Everybody's adding filters now, and engines run hella longer , 150k, 300k? It just seems so silly to let the dirt keep circulating when it costs so little to get it out, what is a gallon of gear oil, $16? It's perhaps MORE important for a trans that has double the HP running thru it, like many Vanagons conversions nowadays.

And many vanagons have rebuilt trans with a few new bearings but everything else has 300,000 miles. These items are not only shedding more metal, their end-or-life is looming, and it makes more sense to give them a break, extend their run a bit. This notion that contaminated oil is "not a problem" doesn't stack up to logic. Unless "short life" is not a problem. Or if changing trans fluid is "too hard" (which is is, for many).

Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

I agree with you on the prevention first. The fill plug idea is really just for monitoring but I like the idea of magnetic filtering. The last transmission I had apart I added half a dozen magnets permanently on the inside. I doubt I'll ever check them.

One thing I did notice with my plugs is that with a powerful enough magnet the field magnetizes the particles which I believe IS pulling in the much smaller particles. However, these magnetized particles want to stick to everything metallic and can stick to oil pans or parts in close proximity. Maybe not a problem? I really should better document my experiments...

Also, I found it interesting that I found an equal amount of swarf on the fill plug magnet as the drain plug. This may be just lucky placement.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Homercules wrote:
Also, I found it interesting that I found an equal amount of swarf on the fill plug magnet as the drain plug. This may be just lucky placement.

Yes that is interesting. I bet it’s because they each wash off about the same, and end up with a similar average of only the bigger particles that they can hold onto. If you clean them (not draining the oil) and recheck them in 2 weeks what do they look like?

If, after 2 weeks in the same oil they are still clean, that would mean the 2 magnets purified your oil on the first round. If they have more stuff after 2 weeks in same oil, then they were just maxed.

Magnets glued inside a trans can be problematic as they build up big snowflakes or “trees” of metal every night, then upon driving it, these magnetized clumps wash off and can wreak their deviltry in clumps. Shocked If you can place them in an area with very slow moving fluid that’s better. But not in the diff case near the R&P where the fluid motion is violent.

Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Trans Rebuild w/ Weddle R&P, Swepco 202 Reply with quote

Homercules wrote:

Sodo wrote:
Yes that is interesting. I bet it’s because they each wash off about the same, and end up with a similar average of only the bigger particles that they can hold onto. If you clean them (not draining the oil) and recheck them in 2 weeks what do they look like?

This was on my truck transmission that was at the end of its life so there were more and more particles each check. The location of the fill plug was probably ideal to pull that much crap out of the oil. I will add that I was running MT90 but switched it to Swepco 201 to extend its life. The Swepco quieted down the gear whine and the shifting was better. I don't have any solid data but I won't use MT90 in anything again.

Sodo wrote:
If, after 2 weeks in the same oil they are still clean, that would mean the 2 magnets purified your oil on the first round. If they have more stuff after 2 weeks in same oil, then they were just maxed.

I would really like to try this on a freshly rebuilt transaxle.

Sodo wrote:
Magnets glued inside a trans can be problematic as they build up big snowflakes or “trees” of metal every night, then upon driving it, these magnetized clumps wash off and can wreak their deviltry in clumps. Shocked If you can place them in an area with very slow moving fluid that’s better. But not in the diff case near the R&P where the fluid motion is violent.

This is was my concern with the fill plug I made. The rare earth magnet I used was very strong and it would have those metallic trees everytime I checked. Probably not an issue on a fresh trans though. The magnets I put inside the case are in those low areas that don't get any real flow that you can't drain.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: