Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen ignition switch help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

I was told Kubelwagen ignition switches are the same as early beetle thru 61-ish. Can anyone here help me locate the correct switch w/key? Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

You where told that?
By whom?
I am no real Kubel expert but between them and anything "61ish"
are at least three or four ignition switch evolution steps.
Nothing in common!
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

The Kubel wiring diagrams alone would show that there are zero similarities between it and a 60's or even a 50's beetle.

And there are two different styles of Kubel specific ignition switches depending on the year of the vehicle.

Not to mention the keys aren't even remotely close.

I too am curious who told you this about the ignition switches Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

I’m sure the person that passed this along to me was wrong then. I have no Kubel experience and came here first.
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

Yeh...the early Typ 82s used a very simple key which (likely) shared much the same simple ignition cylinder internal design with the postwar split window dash pods. You can switch on the Typ 82 ignition with the simple key...or a small screwdriver for that matter. The other difference is that the military key is retained in the ignition switch when the ignition is switched off...unlike a civilian vehicle. From a military perspective this made good sense as you always knew where to find the key when you needed it. I don't think the troops were too concerned about car theft under the prevailing circumstances... The postwar split dash pods look moderately similar, and you could use one but it wouldn't be 100% correct. Other than finding an original pod, the only place I ever saw a correctly reproduced Typ 82 pod was from Vladimir Lehar in the Czech Republic. If you car is post 1942 (or thereabouts) then you don't have a pod at all and that would be an entirely different switch.
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

Thank you bakersam. Interesting insights! The dash pod I have is from Lehar. I’ll look into which switches work best.
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

You're certainly welcome although your reply somewhat confused me. If you already have a speedo dash pod from Lehar then you already have the correct ignition switch since it's built into that pod. If you're actually looking for the late war style ignition switch (which certainly didn't share anything with the postwar cars), then you should look at the following one presently on ebay.de at https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bosch-Zundschloss-SSH4L12Z...wLgNaT5ex. You could probably use this one too: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zundschloss-Schaltkasten-L...wH-daSSmB.
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

It’s been too many years since I drove my 1943 Kubel to remember specifics. But the ignition switch, in addition to allowing the push button starter to work, was primarily a complex light switch. Depending on the position turned, you would have running lights, driving lights, or patrol formation lights on. I also remember that you could push in key half way and full way for different functions. What this is really saying is that there is absolutely no similarity between Kubel and ‘61 ignition switch.
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

You're describing the blackout light switch which is separate from the ignition switch. The blackout light multiposition switch controlled said lights in front and back. Three light intensity levels for the front light and either with, or without the rear light's being on at all. This doesn't control the normal headlights or tail lights however. Then the ignition switch is either built into the dash pod on the early Typ 82s, or a separate switch as in the later models.
Kubekwagen Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

In my Kubelwagen, the key has 3 rotary positions, 0, 1, and 2. At 0, you push the key all the way in and this allows you to press the starter button and start it. If you rotate the key to the 1 position, it turns on the running lights. If you rotate it to the 2 position, it turns on the headlights. High beams were controlled by foot switch. Later models did away with foot switch and had a position 3, that controlled the high beams.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen ignition switch help Reply with quote

Kubekwagen Mike wrote:
In my Kubelwagen, the key has 3 rotary positions, 0, 1, and 2. At 0, you push the key all the way in and this allows you to press the starter button and start it. If you rotate the key to the 1 position, it turns on the running lights. If you rotate it to the 2 position, it turns on the headlights. High beams were controlled by foot switch. Later models did away with foot switch and had a position 3, that controlled the high beams.

Yup. 2 position switch with a dimmer switch or a 3 positon switch with no dimmer switch.

The notek switch only controlled the front notek and rear notek portion of the combination tail light. The notek switch had nothing to do whatsoever with the headlights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: