Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Y'all are killing it. Way to go. While the cookies are just "extra" to me compared to parts selection, ease of website use, and quick shipping, I was especially appreciative that one came with my $6 order (throttle body gasket). I believe that's what is called a "loss leader" in the name of customer service.

That's what I am saying!! Seriously had some doubts about the merge. But when my $12 order came in with a cookie, well lets say I was a happy camper.

Also responded to an email I sent in 20 minutes. Killing it :2gunfire:
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
pomfritz wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
Does anyone know if Rocky Mountain westy now offers a speedometer rebuild service like van cafe did? I’ve been meaning to call and ask. I’m hoping that service survived the merger.

Don’t think so. I had mine done at VC in January as Peter said the guy doing it was leaving soon. I think it was someone who stayed in Santa Cruz. Maybe someone can get you in touch with that person.

We will definitely be continuing this service. Just working on getting the warehouse set and ready to go. We will be starting in March with this service.

Great to know that you guys will be doing speedo rebuilds. I’ve got one waiting in the wings for you whenever you guys are ready. Thanks for continuing this service.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

I’ve lived in Santa Cruz for over 20 years, and Peter and his crew have always served my vans well. There was the time when I first got my most recent Westy 10 years ago when I had authorized Peter $500 worth of repairs and the bill came out to be 800. We were broke with our second child and he allowed me to pay the balance when I got paid next month. This is just one of many stories of the wonderful service that I would receive when I would go in there. Often times just to buy an oil filter so that I could ask Peter a technical question. Which he always happily answered. I loved how Volks café as it was originally known, never scared you into making unnecessary pears, and always gave the service that made you feel good about owning a van and being a customer. It’s been a blessing being a customer living only a mile away for the last 20 years and they will definitely be missed in Santa Cruz. Best wishes to Peter and crew who deserve all good fortunes to come their way. I wonder if any of the former mechanics our plan planning on staying local to join one of the other shops or starting up a shot of their own. There will definitely be a market for it now that volks café has closed in town.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Stop with the Cookie Hypnosis nonsense already!!! Wink Very Happy

I had a great, first dialog with Mike the other day. My goal was needing to know that the VC name was in able hands that encouraged my support.

He passed, and didn't have to earn my trust with a damned cookie. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

I always thought RMW was high with their shipping charges at least to Canada
(same with BusDepot). $150 worth of Vanagon parts would cost another $60-70 for shipping. I cut it down to 3 parts and compared RMW with GoWesty. Gowesty was about half - $25 cheaper for the equivalent parts. Do I still get the same tax exemption for classic vanagon parts with RMW that I used to get with Van Cafe and with GoWesty?
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
I always thought RMW was high with their shipping charges at least to Canada
(same with BusDepot). $150 worth of Vanagon parts would cost another $60-70 for shipping. I cut it down to 3 parts and compared RMW with GoWesty. Gowesty was about half - $25 cheaper for the equivalent parts. Do I still get the same tax exemption for classic vanagon parts with RMW that I used to get with Van Cafe and with GoWesty?

Or the almost overnight shipping with DHL. The good thing with Vancafe is that they would manually quote the shipping once the order was placed, so you knew you always got the best price as opposed to an algorithm based on shipping weight.

We'll see...
Bicycle019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

I just noticed that they moved to "just up the road" from us here in Denver when I was placing an order for some power steering hoses. Always enjoyed the shopping experience and service, plus cookies and custom art on the boxes from Van Cafe. Best of luck to Mike and the RMW+VC crew.
'17 Golf AllTrack (wife)
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Here's one that I almost threw away, it was on the bottom of a box and I didn't see it until I went to cut the box down for recycling.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have another one, but it's of a blue '67 splity.

Another drawing. Thought it would be a good tatoo
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Thought I'd link this thread for historical reference Very Happy :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538618

Just placed my first "VC/RMW" order!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Ordered Thursday 9pm... Arrived in NorCal Monday afternoon complete with cookie.. Great job CO Van Cafe! Thanks for upholding your great CA reputation and service!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

First post-merge order:

Plastic crap, hardened O-rings, and coolant leaking onto exhaust... gone! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Did you have to pay extra for the expansion tank after buying the cookie? Wink

Awesome piece, ours is almost due...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Cookie was $245, tank was free gift. Wink

E1 wrote:

Went on a Lowe's run a few weeks ago. Arrived home to see a puddle... again. Evil or Very Mad Blasted level sensor O-ring, only 2-3 years old, was hard as a rock. Two tanks, two level sensors, three O-rings in 8 years... damn the expense, but I'm done with that poorly-engineered plastic crap.

And, as Dad said (happened to be visiting the day the tank arrived), the welds are works of art. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
E1 wrote:

Cookie was $245, tank was free gift. Wink

E1 wrote:

Went on a Lowe's run a few weeks ago. Arrived home to see a puddle... again. Evil or Very Mad Blasted level sensor O-ring, only 2-3 years old, was hard as a rock. Two tanks, two level sensors, three O-rings in 8 years... damn the expense, but I'm done with that poorly-engineered plastic crap.

And, as Dad said (happened to be visiting the day the tank arrived), the welds are works of art. Cool

Welcome Kam!

Now you will be incessantly opening the tank cap when cold to check the coolant level! Laughing (unless you completely trust idiot lights)
A small price to pay for knowing you've eliminated a known weak link in the system.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Now you will be incessantly opening the tank cap when cold to check the coolant level! Laughing (unless you completely trust idiot lights)

I have queried this before but this seems fairly unnecessary to me and would be interested to see if the average person thinks this is necessary. I drive my van every day and have never felt the need to check the level in th RMW tank since I installed it and bled it. I would sell my van if I had so little faith in its intergrity that I felt compelled to do this incessantly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I have queried this before but this seems fairly unnecessary to me and would be interested to see if the average person thinks this is necessary. I drive my van every day and have never felt the need to check the level in th RMW tank since I installed it and bled it. I would sell my van if I had so little faith in its intergrity that I felt compelled to do this incessantly.

Yes, we have discussed this, not sure why you bring it up again.

Here is the link to your last query..... you might continue the discussion in there instead of doing it all over again here..........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

It all has to do with the level of pre trip checking that you are comfortable with.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Welcome Kam!

A small price to pay for knowing you've eliminated a known weak link in the system.

Dave

It would seem to me a worth addition would be a bung or two. Plenty of old school large commercial truck had metal reservoirs with an eye bubble. Or two with a tube in between.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Here is the link to your last query..... you might continue the discussion in there instead of doing it all over again here..........

It all has to do with the level of pre trip checking that you are comfortable with.

Dave

Umm, actually you brought it up again
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Umm, actually you brought it up again

As a "tongue in cheek" joke with Kam.
Did you notice the laughing emoji?
I know Kam is very diligent about her vehicle maintenance.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Just placed my first order since the merger, very pleased that they have retained the ability to choose between USPS and DHL for shipping to Canada, as I avoid UPS as much as possible.

Looking forward to my first Colorado cookie!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: