Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Curious about the left coast people worrying about shipping time.

While I've not ordered much since my Van is "sorted" there was a time where I spent much money getting many parts. Van Cafe, GoWesty and Bus Depot were my "go to" guys.

Most often anything I ordered from Van Cafe was on my door step 36 - 40 hours after I placed the order....... keep in mind that I'm in New Jersey! .... yeah....... on the right coast. A nominal 3,000 miles away.

Maybe it has to do with USPS shipping hubs location? I'm 30 minutes from Newark Airport and almost every box was USPS Priority mail.

If RMW gets things out in a timely fashion, I cannot imagine service being much longer with USPS. It of course probably depends upon RMW's proximity to a USPS hub?

VC wasn't alone with fast service, VanAgain just about matched VC time frame, but they are here in New Jersey with me.

Each vendor has a shipping "Personality" and you come to know this. Depending upon the level of need it determined where I shopped.
I like to support my "local" guys and BusDepot has gotten a lot of my money. It is rarely a two day service, I don't expect differently, but my experience has shown that they are an honest and good company.
I now have a house 40 minutes or so from BusDepot in Pennsylvania but haven't ever needed something so badly that I drove over to them.
Honestly, I only recently "discovered" VanAgain and was happy with their service too.

Best wishes to RMW/VanCafe with the "merger" and many thanks to all of the vendors that make keeping these old vehicles on the highway possible.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Its a simple thing: Owner gets tired (retired) and sells company with brand. Maybe the PO will stay a shareholder, they worked out what is best for them.

Happened before and will later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

" Merger" lol.

It isn't a merger unless you are paying a team of snotty Harvard MBAs a bunch of fees to tell you about business.

Time to move to Florida, pull by pants above my belly, and complain about the government full time
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Maybe it has to do with USPS shipping hubs location? I'm 30 minutes from Newark Airport and almost every box was USPS Priority mail.

If RMW gets things out in a timely fashion, I cannot imagine service being much longer with USPS. It of course probably depends upon RMW's proximity to a USPS hub?

one of the reasons that i liked VC was because they seem to be the *only* vendor that shipped USPS. i get BD shipments all the time and they’re always UPS.

growing up in cal and having spent my college years and beyond in SC i will definitely miss them in that town. there is less and less that a sorta beachy college/tourist town can claim for culture and this definitely rates, IMO. r.i.p. Logos too.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Rumor has that Fred's is closing in the next month or so as well.

Sorry to see Peter go. As a Re seller of parts he had a great commitment to his customer base. What was even better was doing business with him as a buyer, I sold him numerous items over the years and some of it he still sells on his Website. Peter was always fair and to the point. Never asked for an exclusive and would not take your idea and run off with it.
I will miss getting parts the next day, and sometimes even the same day. I ran a balance with him and he would call me up and say if you don't buy something I am going to send you a check and then ask how much he owed me.
Having then close was nice as it was a reasonable drive if I really had to have something.
Kudo's to a guy who started somethiung from scratch and treated his customers fairly and is stepping out while he can still enjoy life. I hoped he'd go out and buy himself A new Bicycle, but I doubt it.
Peter and VC will be missed in the VW community.

Shocked Shocked Shocked . PM sent Stacy Stacy
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

not only cookies coming to an end but also no surf report i guess it will be a ski/snow report.
1990 vw automatic camper
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Not sure why people are getting irritated over merger vs buy-out. I don't think "the man" is out to dupe you somehow. Totally understand about the shipping time sadness, I'm equally stoked.

To Mike, Ralph, and Lynnsay, hope your transition is smooth and enjoyable. CO is a great place and Ft. Collins is an amazing city. Biking, rafting, kayaking, climbing, back country, an outdoor paradise. You'll have to trade in your surf board for a WW kayak though.

Mike L, when is the open house? Will we be able to sample the new cookies? Wink

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
djkeev wrote:

one of the reasons that i liked VC was because they seem to be the *only* vendor that shipped USPS. i get BD shipments all the time and they’re always UPS.

growing up in cal and having spent my college years and beyond in SC i will definitely miss them in that town. there is less and less that a sorta beachy college/tourist town can claim for culture and this definitely rates, IMO. r.i.p. Logos too.

Logos is gone too?!

That's it. I'm never going back.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Quote:

Dave - this is bigly.

I routinely order from FCP Euro in CT who have a direct van to BNL which has a morning 0500 flight to ALB

If I choose free 9 day shipping, it comes next day

Very Happy

Honestly though, they get my business for kick-ass service and lifetime warranty on parts - even engine oil.

Insert <std.disclaimer.io.h>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

I request my GoWesty packages to be shipped via USPS. I believe they fly those packages over to the East coast.

Black friday. I submitted an order to GoWesty and VanCafe. Van Cafe order came that Monday (cyber monday). GoWesty order came in a week later. This was because I forgot to request GoWesty to ship via USPS.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually we generally ship FedEx, not UPS. But we also ship USPS every day. If you prefer USPS, just ask for it in the "would you like to add notes to your order?" field on checkout. If it has a significant impact on shipping cost, we'll reduce it if appropriate, or email you for approval if it goes up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Damn! At least Mike will be minding the store in Colorado. Mike, Chris and Peter have been so helpful over the years.

Happy retirement, Peter! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
You'll have to trade in your surf board for a WW kayak though.

I'm sure there are some standing waves on some of the rivers when the flow rate is right! It can be tough to find high altitude surf wax though Wink

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:

Actually we generally ship FedEx, not UPS. But we also ship USPS every day. If you prefer USPS, just ask for it in the "would you like to add notes to your order?" field on checkout. If it has a significant impact on shipping cost, we'll reduce it if appropriate, or email you for approval if it goes up.

good to know! wanna take this moment to give you guys a big thumbs up too, nary a problem in years of ordering from you.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Congrads to Peter on making a change and to Mike for this recent expansion. Some in the PNW have some concern over how the whole affair will affect WA/OR/BC but here's hoping for the best.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
But we also ship USPS every day.

Well, damn! I recently looked at every vendor I could for the best deal on some tiny parts. Had decided BD had the best things for me, and instead of 2 I was going to get 8, so I'd have some on hand for "next time". I got to the 'calculate shipping' and it was going to be something like $14 as the least expensive option... for 8 little snap rings that could be put in an envelope.

I genuinely wish there were the option to pick USPS for the less expensive option, and that is why I deleted my cart, and looked to another vendor that did have the USPS inexpensive option right on the site.

It was not obvious enough for me, sorry to say.

As for the VC/RMW thing, I've gone to each of them, as well as GW and BD for all sorts of parts. All good experiences from ALL of them, every time.

I am glad we have these folks to help.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

First and foremost my congratulations to Peter @ Van Cafe... not only for his next venture in life but for the support he and his team has offered the community in the past.. Van Cafe was one of my required stops when traveling to the Bay Area... even if I really didn't need anything, ya right.. who owns a Vanagon and "really" doesn't need anything Very Happy , I always made it a point to get there and support them in someway..

I am also glad to see that this was well thought through and that the employees have landed on their feet and are still part of our community... This makes me happy. I have seen some "brutal" mergers in the past and this itself speaks volumes.

As for Rocky Mtn Westy.... first class operation... When I was doing my conversion, they lent a helping hand with some of my questions even though the majority of my parts were KEP.. Tip of the hat to these guys and I am wishing them the best of luck.

As for those worried about shipping... surprisingly USPS, UPS, On Trac, and FedEx are "stepping up the game' thanks to other on-line retailers..

Its a good thing!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
But we also ship USPS every day.

Well, damn! I recently looked at every vendor I could for the best deal on some tiny parts. Had decided BD had the best things for me, and instead of 2 I was going to get 8, so I'd have some on hand for "next time". I got to the 'calculate shipping' and it was going to be something like $14 as the least expensive option... for 8 little snap rings that could be put in an envelope.

I genuinely wish there were the option to pick USPS for the less expensive option, and that is why I deleted my cart, and looked to another vendor that did have the USPS inexpensive option right on the site.

It was not obvious enough for me, sorry to say.

As for the VC/RMW thing, I've gone to each of them, as well as GW and BD for all sorts of parts. All good experiences from ALL of them, every time.

I am glad we have these folks to help.

If you call and ask for something tiny like a snap ring to be put in an envelope, and mailed, in my experience most of our vendors will do that for you.
Trouble is that first class mail has no tracking something which many people now demand...... but tracking services cost $$ ........

Thanks to Amazon and other suppliers we are in a huge "box" mindset today.

The stories I could tell about small things being shipped in HUGE boxes....... Rolling Eyes

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Molks Wagman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

While everyone is speculating about less important details, I'd like to be assured that the merger will include a name change. My .02 is this new entity be called:

Rocky Van Mountain Cafe Westy

OR

Van Mountain Rocky Westy Cafe

Just to subside any confusion about the two old companies. Of course, I would be open to other suggestions.

Congratulations to all, I look forward to placing my orders with you in the future.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe to merge with Rocky Mountain Westy! Reply with quote

Molks Wagman wrote:
While everyone is speculating about less important details, I'd like to be assured that the merger will include a name change. My .02 is this new entity be called:

Rocky Van Mountain Cafe Westy

OR

Van Mountain Rocky Westy Cafe

Just to subside any confusion about the two old companies. Of course, I would be open to other suggestions.

And I always thought those marketing guys on big company mergers didn't work hard enough on name changes.😊

Seriously, when a company's name is respected, as Peter's business was, it's part of "good will". That's the harder to quantify part of the price of the company. Since Van-Cafe will no longer exist as a separate entity, it's not clear how RMW leverages that. I doubt, however, that RMW will change their name, but it could happen.

A bigger and more concerning aspect of the "sale" is one less place to get your van worked on. GoWesty went to pretty much an internet only business. While those of us that work on our own vans are less affected, those that don't are.

RMW, like smallcar, was moving towards more product sales in addition to conversions, so I imagine this will make them a more complete vendor.

Peter, thanks for your years of dedication to this unique industry!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: