Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Thank you mates
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
62ItalianRagtop wrote:
Amazing car and pictures... congratulations!!
Haven’t you problem starting engine with cold temperatures?
Still 6v ?

I have never had an issue with any of my 6v cars regardless of temperature. If your battery is good and the wiring is like it was when the car was new, then there aren’t any problems, lights are just as bright as 12v cars and everything works like it should. I’ve been very fortunate to find several 6v one owner cars with pristine wiring and pristine heater channels and heater boxes so the heat is incredibly hot, but that’s besides the point.

Nothing drives like unmolested low owner cars. I always get the guy at the gas station that tells us these cars have no heat. As he is saying this my wife is in the car in a t shirt in January. I always tell them, if you have it set up as the factory intended it produces plenty of heat.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

The car is currently in hibernation.
But once the pan on our 58 build is rolling we have some stuff to work on, on this car. Plan is to drop the beam and do new seals and clean up. the spindles are pretty fresh so we will leave those alone unless I find something to change my mind. The steering box has been leaking for probably 20 years so we will also pull that apart and re seal it and swap the oil for grease like we just did on our 58 build. Its also probably time for some new tie rod ends and soft brake lines. We have been running this car hard the past 4 years since we did them.

For now ill leave you with pictures from the photoshoot for the new Patina Volkswagen book. The 61 and some of my original paint wheel collection were shot for the book.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can really see the scratches from when Joe (original owner) had his heart attack and put it through the barbed wire fence in this picture.

VW's At The Springs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

I hope to get this book whenever it goes to print.

I should look for a set of original paint wheels for my '64.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I hope to get this book whenever it goes to print.

I should look for a set of original paint wheels for my '64.

Original paint wheels for 64 and newer beetles are very easy to find. In 64 they only had two different color combos. What color is your car?
VW's At The Springs
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Panama Beige
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Panama Beige

It would just have the standard L41 black centers, L87 pearl white outers.
VW's At The Springs
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Drop the beam, drop the price.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Really? I got the impression he meant drop it as in remove it from the car to service it. Would that hurt the value of a survivor car?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Really? I got the impression he meant drop it as in remove it from the car to service it. Would that hurt the value of a survivor car?

I’m thinking he was is thinking I’m going to lower it? Who knows, it’s not like I’m going to restore the beam I’m just cleaning it up and putting in new seals. Don’t know how that would hurt the value.
VW's At The Springs
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

As always great pictures. I'm debating restoring my 64 or keeping it patina and stock. You pictures have me and my wallet leaning towards leaving it as is.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
As always great pictures. I'm debating restoring my 64 or keeping it patina and stock. You pictures have me and my wallet leaning towards leaving it as is.

Looking at yours, I would just clean her up really good. Get some stock wheels on it and love every day with it. But Iv been refered to as a purist ass hole so take that with a grain of salt.
In my experiences once a car has nice paint and is fully restored they tend to be less fun. Obviously I worry about this car just as much as a restored one just because of the originality. But I’m not worried about parking it at Walmart or getting a rock chip.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Decided to let the car stretch her legs a little bit, so we took it on a little day road trip to soak in the hot pools. Nothing major I think it’s about 100 miles round trip. The car didn’t skip a beat, even running 70 the whole way home on the freeway.

I love the way this photo turned out, decided to cruise through town and stopped for a photo.

VW's At The Springs
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:

I love the way this photo turned out, decided to cruise through town and stopped for a photo.

Nothing says "Good Times" like a Motel with color TV. Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
Decided to let the car stretch her legs a little bit, so we took it on a little day road trip to soak in the hot pools. Nothing major I think it’s about 100 miles round trip. The car didn’t skip a beat, even running 70 the whole way home on the freeway.

I'm so glad Ian (and your pop) tipped me to this old highway. Running the freeway is okay for the bus- but traffic sure got hairy during construction (the freakin' trailer-pulling RV'ers never look down to realize you're actually doing 65+). It was nice to have a "scenic byway" for the trip back up the hill.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Raisedup58 wrote:

I'm so glad Ian (and your pop) tipped me to this old highway. Running the freeway is okay for the bus- but traffic sure got hairy during construction (the freakin' trailer-pulling RV'ers never look down to realize you're actually doing 65+). It was nice to have a "scenic byway" for the trip back up the hill.

I can show you a even better road from Pocatello to Lava. It takes you up over the mountains instead of around them.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Nothing much is going on with the 61 as of right now, we are in full build mode with the 58.
I did recieve the new “Patina Volkswagens” book by Mark Walker on Monday. And to my surprise Mabel has a ton of coverage in it.

Back cover too

Picture of my 58 from a long time ago

VW's At The Springs
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Got mine pre-ordered and paid for on Amazon. Can't wait to get it! Cool feature on your cars Cody!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Nothing major going on with this car this summer. A new house has been taking up most of my free time, and the 58 taking up the rest. I can't say how happy I am to have both cars under the same roof though.

In June, we headed to Boise, Idaho for the Bus Pilots Association's Family Reunion show and had a excellent time as we do every year. If you haven't been to this show and live in the PNW you need to attend next year.

Then in July, the basis for all my stress in the spring finally happened. VWs At The Springs is my baby and this year we nearly tripled in size. Check out our Facebook page for all the amazing coverage of the event http://www.facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
This year we had professional automotive photographer Andrew Jackson attend and it looks like we will be featured in a couple magazines.

We will be heading out for Volksfest in Yakima, Washington next Thursday in the car and ill try to keep this forum updated during that.

We also just posted this car for possible trade for a early square back.
VW's At The Springs
al-staire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mabel" 1961 Ruby Red Preservation Reply with quote

Wonderful bug and wonderful pictures Cody! Thank you for sharing them with us, makes me hurry up and get our Standard ready for the Season !

Alex
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: