Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heating concepts without heat exchangers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrElch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

I have replaced the heat exchanges with J-Tubes and a performance exhaust due to a performance engine.

In the meantime a webasto airtop200st has been installed as a replacement for the original aux heating, which works fine when I'm camping but is actually a bit too small in my opinion.
Another big downside is, that I won't get the car heated up while driving with this concept.

Anyway,
I'm wondering if there are better replacement concepts and what other people have installed and how their experiences were. Especially in regards to heating capacity while driving.

Cheers
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/usa-made-12-volt-ducted-heater.html
DrElch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

Is really anybody using these in their vans?

I mean... 40 amps with a 75amp alternator seems a bit excessive.

Are there any success stories with this beast?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

What exhaust so you have? Performance heater boxes exist. You can also get one of them fancy optional gas heaters. Where's Jason?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

One of these was started not too long ago.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691106&highlight=

Realistically, there doesn't seem to be anything better than the heat exchangers for the bus. Many threads on this, the other alternatives are to run the bn4/6 gas heaters. Other than that you're left with pretty much heaters truck drivers use.

Also why wont you get the car heated while driving using the 2000ST? Curious as I was looking into one of these systems.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

The 2000 k/cal heaters are ok as a booster/addition to the stock heating system and that's it.. I have a 1974 BN4 (roughly 15,000 btu's) in my 79 in addition to the stock heater and I wouldn't want anything less. Glad I didn't go with the 2000 unit.

Performance heater boxes are not worth the money. Even the replacement Dansk heat exchangers are not anywhere as good as the OE ones.

In Europe there are Espar Airtronic B4 heaters that, if plumbed into the stock system would likely be adequate. B stands for benzin - gasoline heaters. You should look in the UK for these units. The unit would likely need to be mounted inside the van as they are not weather resistant. The diesel units are cheaper but you will need a separate fuel tank. You might find a B4 in North America. Check the Espar site.

The budget will likely need to be $1,500 - 2000 all said and done for a new heater and all the plumbing. Deals can be had. You might get lucky.

Just curious as to why you couldn't go back to the stock heater/exhaust system for the winter. So you loose some ponies but have heat.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

sometimes it isn't how fast you get there but the fact that you get there at all..
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

https://esparparts.com/espar-airtronic-b412v-truck-wdigimax-controller-p-25395.html

https://esparparts.com/espar-airtronic-b1lc-compact-heater-automotive-p-25393.html
DrElch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

yeah the 2000st doesn't have enough bang for this car.
Even when camping it get's it barely warm enough.

I have wired the 2000st into the standard heating tubes to deliver heat to the front. while you can feel that warm air is coming out of the vents it is just a very weak stream that will be easily overpowered by the outside air when driving.

I really need to check if the car can host a webasto EVO40 or EVO55 heater, as they deliver 4kw or 5.5kw respectively.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heating concepts without heat exchangers Reply with quote

Just put some math down on this crap, a 40 amp resistive heater gives you about 500 watts of heat, about 1/10 of what you need to heat a Bus.

Magic ceramics, metals, nor nanorobots can't change that amount, neither will magnets on your wires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: