Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'81 VW Rabbit Diesel Rear Light Socket and Heat Shield Question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzhezzkampos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: '81 VW Rabbit Diesel Rear Light Socket and Heat Shield Question Reply with quote

Hello All!

I need a bit of help here and instead of creating two different posts I thought I might as well lump these two things together albeit not exactly the same issue. I am working on restoring my old '81 VW rabbit, which I purchased for about $900 from an older guy who just had it lying around.

So, I was having issues with my brake light bulb, and when I went to replace it I noticed that the plastic on all of the bulb holder sockets was breaking apart. Fast forward a few weeks and suddenly my dash and tail light aren't working. My directional signals work and my brake lights work also, my front head lights also work. I went to the back and noticed that the plastic on my troublesome brake light had completely broken off and I had two long metallic pieces along with wires soldered to them floating around, I tried to stick them back in place for the meanwhile, but still no luck, until I pressed the brakes and the dash lights would turn on, I then let go of the brakes and the dash lights would turn off. I am almost sure that is the issue, but I want to make sure.
If that is the issue I plan to get the sockets (from a 1989 golf in a junkyard), but do I need to crimp these new wires or do I just take off the plastic piece slide in the metal pieces and close everything up?

Now the heat shield, I would like to know the part number for the heat shield that protects the brake lines under the floor of the vehicle. I haven't checked to see if it has it or not, but I have noticed that the metal pieces near the floor of the vehicle get really hot, like the brake handle the bottom rails for the seats and such. It might be the missing heat shield, I would really appreciate a part number or something similar I can stick under there.

I know a bit long winded, but I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you guys! Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '81 VW Rabbit Diesel Rear Light Socket and Heat Shield Question Reply with quote

heat shield is nla...don't waste your time. try to find a good used one....but by now, they are all toasty

sounds like you need a light socket. go to napa and match them up. they were used on domestic junk, so should be easy to find

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dzhezzkampos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '81 VW Rabbit Diesel Rear Light Socket and Heat Shield Question Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!

The floor of my VW gets really hot, like the e-brake handle and the seat rails, is there any way to avoid that without the use of a heat shield?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '81 VW Rabbit Diesel Rear Light Socket and Heat Shield Question Reply with quote

Get a section of aluminum or galvanized chimney pipe from the hardware store & make your own heat shield, or rob one from a modern Jetta at a local pick & pull bend it to fit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: