Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIP Randee Randar
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

I'm at a loss for words. he was a great man, like a brother to me and MANY others.

"It is with a heavy heart for me to announce the passing of our dear friend Randee Pickton. He passed away Jan 9th 2018 at 10:03pm/pst he was surrounded by family and friends. He is survived by his mother, Jan and his daughter Aubree. He will forever be missed by those who were fortunate to call him a friend. RIP to my friend." -GP

Love you Randee rest in peace brother. Godspeed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Mick
Mick-n-chips

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Sad news. Sad My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Fuck cancer
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

We enjoyed his company at any show and campout! Crying or Very sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Wish some of the money from the copied chineese wheels made would go to bre for colledge gonna miss randee good brother from the early late 90s sv2 show to last bbb great brother just gonna make the real randar wheels worth more than they allready are R.I.P
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

RIP Randee.

#fuckcancer

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ol Vocho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

RIP Randar, an innovator, a creator of unique parts and full of knowledge about our hobby. I can still hear his laughter and admired his friendship. Randee will be missed. He'd come by at the swaps and ask you "What's the price on that?" and you'd reply, then he'd say "Yeah, but what's my price?" That always got a laugh out of me. It's not going to be the same, not seeing him at the Shows or cruizin' around town in his Bus. He'd drive his Bus anywhere and I mean anywhere. I'd see him crankin' up the steep grade on Hwy 67 coming out of Lakeside on that huge hill, or he'd get up early and drive all the way from Ramona up to OCTO at 3:30 am, just to hang with friends and sell parts at the show. Godspeed Randar, you will be missed and remembered.

Vocho Werks

Metal Shaping by "Dr. Decklid"

Vocho Werks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Vochowerks/

www.vochowerks.com

"It's great to be a big success, but we expect it will only last a couple of years and then we'll have to get real jobs", The Beatles, circa 1964

'64 Westy SO 33
'67 DD Panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Cancer doesn't discriminate, it attacks the rich, the poor the bad and the good.

It just hurts more when it takes a good guy.

#FUCKCANCER

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

You will be missed brother.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Just got the call from Vince been dawgs with Randee for a very long time as we both had the same taste for collecting wheels. Fun to run around at shows with to see who found the rarest of the rare. Good times and many of my best memories are of us both showing off what we scored at the end of the day. Last time I seen randy was at the Big 3 swap when he ran to my wagon and was surprised I scored an Empi steering wheel when he walked
The entire show and never saw it. I will miss ya dearly brotha. God speed.
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Folks have asked me why I've collected various parts for my VWs- such as The FAT T-bars, original Berg shifter, etc.. I always say that one day we will lose these craftsman and will never again be able to talk to them and buy something from them personally. Just last summer I spoke with Randee and bought his perfect harp mirrors for my DC. I am honored to have his very nicely produced work represented on my car and will run them with pride. Thank you Randee.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
laszlo805
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

you will be missed brother. thanks for being a great friand
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

I've had the honor of meeting Randee and seeing him at the local shows and swaps over the last five years. First time I met him was at Spring Picnic a few years back. His fan belt was starting to shred and I insisted he take my spare. He wanted to compensate me but I wouldn't let him. What a nice humble dude, really sucks when the good ones have to go so early. Rest in peace Randee

Last edited by oakman on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Sad news. Randee rolled up to my house scouting for VWs about 7 years ago. We live in the same town. He asked if I was interested in selling one of my old bugs stuffed in my garage. I said He'll no, and we were friends ever since ☹️. Such a great person. Always enjoyed his company. May his family find peace as I know he is. RIP my friend

"8 dumb guys are smarter than 1 smart guy!"
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

I ordered a set of Randars for my bus about 6 or 7 years ago. when I called him on the phone he said " I'm sold out now but I'm making another batch in two weeks, can you wait? " I said sure. He calls me back three weeks later and said the whole batch had pits in the castings and he had scrap the whole batch, and asked me if i could wait another week or two, again I said yes. I get another call out of the blue one day and he said they were on their way and appoligzed profusely about being so late and said he would knock some of the price off. I look at the bill and its $100 less than what he told me. I thought that was a really solid thing to do. A lot of people would take six weeks,send you crappy pitted wheels, not say shit, and charge you full pop anyway. Fuck Cancer.
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

A sweet gentleman to me at the shows, didn't hesitate to compare our Sundials, full of information, and a great giggle. So sorry to hear of this. He loved his girl Aubree so much.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

When he said he was going to try and remake the Rader wheels I thought that was heroic. Then he did it and named them Randar I thought that was epic. What a strange world. I hope you are remembered as an epic hero or just a decent guy.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

I heard of Randee's passing at Buses by the Bridge on 11 Jan and was deeply saddened.

It was my luck to meet him in person after buying an awning frame online from him, that he kindly customized for our bus's unusually wide OG roof mounts.

As it went we had our awning up at a campout and two separate people were looking at the bus. One was complimenting the awning we made and the nice frame, and the other was fully admiring the originality of the bus's exterior.

After having a full-on analyzation of the bus's exterior and various OG aspects, the nearby awning admirer said, "I love your awning, where did you get it?". I replied we made the awning and bought the frame from Randar.

It was then that the bus admirer said, "I'm Randar"! We all had a laugh and Randee got a few on-the-spot compliments from us, and likely got an another awning order as he gave his number to the awning admirer. I had shared that his fabrication was spot on, well made and fit perfectly.

This is just to say, he seemed a genuine kind soul and I feel lucky to have met him and had good chats together.

RIP, kind man - you are missed by many...

This isn't the best pic, but I took it at the homage made to Randee at the end of the BBB 2018 lantern walk. You can make out the R and the A, etc...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Randee Randar Reply with quote

Man, this is HARD, really really HARD.
Randee and I go back a Looong ways, way before he started making wheels and other accessories for VWs. When he started making the "Randar" wheel, lots of folks grumbled that they were not safety tested. I told Randee that I could not promote his wheel, unless I saw literature saying the wheel has passed DOT safety testing..Lo and behold, about 3 weeks later, I get some paperwork from Randee, from a place called GOAL Engineering in Long Beach, which, according to their letterhead, was a DOT-approved testing facility. Randee's wheel passed all the tests with flying colors. And I imagine everyone knows the story of my limited involvement with the "RDW" wheel by now...I will miss the visits I used to have with him in Ramona, and the phone calls from him, out of the blue, just to see how I was doing. God Speed, Randee, you left a large hole in the VW industry, along with in a lot of people's hearts. Sad Sad Sad

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: