Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harold Carter - [email protected]
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Harold Carter
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: December 10, 2021
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Harold Carter - [email protected] Reply with quote

I recently had a less than ideal transaction with Harold Carter selling transmissions on this forum.
I spent the better part of 2017 doing volunteer medical relief work in the highlands of Guatemala at a remote critical care access clinic. While making my way back to Washington State to see family for the holidays, I broke down in Arizona. My diff was shot, ring and pinion needed to be replaced. I could not source one locally.
I found Harold Carter on this forum selling parts. After contacting him, he agreed to ship me a rebuilt diff for $1050, for my automatic Westy. There was chance I could get this installed and be back with family for the holidays.
The condition of my diff was discussed in detail. Harold started his normal core refund of $400 would not possible due to the damage to the ring and pinion. But he asked me to ship the diff to him stating e at least he could use the casing. He would refund $200-300 pending the condition of the diff.
I thought this was fair and wanted to get home. This was the only current option.
The diff did not arrive until after Christmas through no fault of the seller. The name on the shipping label was Sam Shakleford at Rancho Performance Transaxles, (I’m not sure if that is relevant). Several local VW places all referred me to one guy to help in AZ. The diff was installed at a local transmission shop that who also rebuilt my transmission.
The differential was packed and shipped back to Harold Carter at his request. About a week later, I received a refund for the shipping cost but not the core. After several text discussions, Harold is declining to provide a core refund starting the ring and pinion are damaged. The very reason why I bought a diff from him. This was discussed in great detail prior to the transaction and I did not expect a full core refund. He knew he was getting a casing with damaged a damaged ring/pinion. I basically spent the time sending him a free casing. I would have been happy with a core refund of $200-300 as agreed.
After all this, he offered to give me good deals on any manual transmissions in the future. I’m not sure how that helps my automatic Westy. Nor would I want to repeat any transactions with this seller after this experience.

Everything seems to be in working order to date. I don’t think he is a “scammer” per say, but he did decline to follow through with our agreement. I’m basicaly out just a few hundred bucks and would have rather donated that core to the transmission shop whom helped me out. I’m sure they would have simply “passed it forward” to the next person.

I would urge some caution with dealing with him. Make sure all conversations and agreements are made through paypal or directly in person.
Harold Carter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Harold Carter - [email protected] Reply with quote

The Problem with the the diff core was that nothing was usable with the core not even the case so I would have given him a refund for scrap. I'm sorry he felt that way but I can't pay for SCRAP. I have sold many automatics to many happy customers unfortunately you cant make every one happy.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Harold Carter - [email protected] Reply with quote

Harold has been really friendly and helpful, without him I think I'd have got a bit stuck. He knows his boxes and top quality rebuilds Smile

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: