Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The SO14 pick-up and trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
always loved these as well. When i was a kid and even as a teenager you could see these everywhere. Being in bavaria we just called them wolperdinger, which is quite funny, really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger
Jackelope!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Awesome score!!
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Thank you for the nice replies!

mandraks wrote:
always loved these as well. When i was a kid and even as a teenager you could see these everywhere. Being in bavaria we just called them wolperdinger, which is quite funny, really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

I heard a couple of stories from back in the day. The whole combination is a kind of a Wolperdinger... The look on peoples faces when you are driving on the highway is quite the same as if they see one of the creatures in the link Laughing

easy e wrote:
I think finding the trailer is pretty lucky... but, finding the part that goes on the truck bed... very lucky!!

They look great!! Thanks for sharing & nice work!

We first only saw the trailer but when we spoke to the owner about the framework he remembered that he had something in the backyard. And to our surprise in the backyard the framework was standing against a tree Exclamation

cdennisg wrote:
cru62 wrote:
free to swivel AND the bed mount was also free to slide forward & backwards.

THIS is the part that always confused me ever since I first saw a photo of this setup many years ago. The whole thing made sense, but I could never get a clear shot of what made it actually work.

Money shot right here. You can see how the carriage slides fore and aft in the part that mounts to the truck bed.

vwassing wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is difficult to explain how it works (especially if your first language isn't English...) I will give it a try:

The framework in the truck bed consists of three pieces. The outer frame has slats on the bottom opposite of the bed slats on the truck. Those slats keep the outer frame from sliding left or right in the bed. The inner frame has heavy rollers on the four corners and rolls/slides front and back in the outer frame. This to compensate for the difference in swivel points from the trailer and load when you make a turn. On top of the inner frame is a swiveling trestle where you strap the load to. So in the bed of the truck the load slides and swivels!

The trailer is basically a trailer coupling with a 5 meter tube and a basic axle with a frame and also a swiveling trestle. The axle is clamped on the tube with 4 bolts. you can easily loosen the bolts and slide the axle front and back depending on the length of the load.

The surprising bit is that there is very little possibilities to secure the load to. You can only secure the load to the two trestle's and the back trestle is the only one that's fixed in frontal movement. The framework in the bed sits loose. All the photo's i have found show no straps whatsoever.

When you are loading something you have to make sure the combination is standing straight. The inner frame has to be almost completely to at the rear of the outer frame. If you go through a corner the inner frame with load will slide forward. When you go over a bump the inner frame will slide backwards a bit.

Unfortunately i didn't make a video of the system working Sad. I hope this clarifies it a bit!

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

I like how you can still use it like a regular pick-up when not running the SO trailer part.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Perfect for moving sailboat masts. Always a pain to buy and difficult to ship.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Hello
Seen by my friend Michael Cool

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:
I hope this clarifies it a bit!

I understood the description. It's different to how I'd envisaged it would work based on the photos I've seen. I thought the frame was fixed to the truck bed and the load was only secured to the trailor, so moved forward and back through the 'inner frame' during turns.

Your description shows that VW came up with a solution that caused the least inconvenience to the truck owner.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:
The axle is clamped on the tube with 4 bolts. you can easily loosen the bolts and slide the axle front and back depending on the length of the load.

This answers as I was wondering if the tongue was adjustable somehow.

Ok, who is going to build one first?
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:

It is difficult to explain how it works (especially if your first language isn't English...) I will give it a try:

Your English is excellent! This is quite a cool thread, I never knew this to exist.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

It is amazing that you found it and that it still exists. Congratulations on getting it restored, it turned out really nice. I have seen the original photos years ago and thought it was a cool set up for towing long items. It is really cool that you bring the setup to shows to share with others.

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Outstanding!!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

seems like you would want to be able to secure it to the load bed for empty rides? without cargo, the front slider in the cargo bed would have no reason to stay in place?

Even with the gates up it would slide forwards and backwards?

If you did not have gates it could quite literally fall off?

A simple springloaded bolt and a whole in the cargo bed would go a long way....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:
Hello
Seen by my friend Michael Cool

Cool, do you know what year it's from? Do you happen to have a picture of the bracket on the back of the tube?

I know that there are some others left. The Bullimuseum in Hessisch Oldendorf has one from 1969. http://www.bullimuseum.eu/anhaenger-wowi.html

And an other guy form the Netherlands has one. Only it is not an original Wolperding but a other version from a German coach builder.

vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
seems like you would want to be able to secure it to the load bed for empty rides? without cargo, the front slider in the cargo bed would have no reason to stay in place?

Even with the gates up it would slide forwards and backwards?

If you did not have gates it could quite literally fall off?

A simple springloaded bolt and a whole in the cargo bed would go a long way....

Its not the empty rides I am worried about, as I said the slats keep it form moving left or right. And the framework in the bed weighs quite a bit. I can not lift it on my own, I'm not that strong though Laughing. But with the standard drumbrakes stopping is not always the best quality of a split, neither is the acceleration... So my experience is that it does not slide about.

The thing I was worried about with the high load was tipping over the frame and load while making a corner.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

hahaha...having a lot of friends in Bavaria I was laughing out loud as well. Wolperding is not a cool name to carry there.... Laughing

This thing, even if useful and cool, sure looks like a full grown Wolpertinger. It makes a VW truck handle impossible things... Very Happy

It is so cool that vwassing actually restored this. I was watching in awe the old videos from Barndoor era, using that kind of trailers.

check at 1.40 !

Link

mandraks wrote:

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Jeroen, i've got some original sheets about the Special Order models including the SO-14 and SO-24.

SO-10 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

SO-10 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

SO-14 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

SO-14 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

SO-24 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:
SO-14 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker

Shocked

I figured that it would foul on pickup bows. If worked through the rear hatch of a Kombi, I don't think that's a problem. Very Happy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
volkswouter wrote:

Shocked

I figured that it would foul on pickup bows. If worked through the rear hatch of a Kombi, I don't think that's a problem. Very Happy

Does it say anything in that text about exhaust fumes? VW seemed to be pretty careful about that stuff with hatch seals and tailpipe design.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
volkswouter wrote:

Shocked

Does it say anything in that text about exhaust fumes? VW seemed to be pretty careful about that stuff with hatch seals and tailpipe design.

On this page it spells out that the contraption that goes on the loadbed, or inside the bus, just sits there lose, not attached in any way.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I think European rules back in the day where much softer than the American rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: