Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel 0-ring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockisland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Was wondering if my 1964, 1200cc, 6 volt flywheel needs an O-ring. There is not one in it. It appear there is a ring in there but it is metal and made into the flywheel itself. I know I need a rear seal and it seems to have a paper type gasket. I read where there are O-rings for flywheels but I don't think I need one. Would appreciate it if someone would let me know. I am kind of new at this and I want to learn.

Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Early flywheel/cranks were stepped and used a paper or metal gasket. It was during model year 1966 that both were changed to the O-ring style.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockisland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Mine is a step style. Thanks for you help.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Hello There,

Unless there's a grove on your flywheel for an o-ring, you do not need one

Flywheel with groove for the o-ring:

These are pictures of 6v (109 teeth) with a 200mm clutch surface (I believe for the 65/66 bus)

Without the groove for o-ring, you will only need to use the metal washer when mating the flywheel to crankshaft. Uncertain what paper gasket you're referring to on the rear seal. Are you referencing the crankshaft main seal on transaxle input shaft seal? These are both rubber.

Main seal orange in image

Input shaft seal, black in image (throwout bearing removed)

All these pictures are from a gallery search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php

Cheers!
Mike
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

The paper gasket he's talking about is exactly the same as the metal one used on the early cranks. I'm can't remember the usage i.e. if you use it conjunction with the metal, or in place of. Im sure some that builds the early 1200's on the regular would know. I've only done one 1200 and it was quite some time ago.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Thanks Andy!
Your images are and info are the best.
Thanks Pruneman99! You're correct, the paper is for early 1200's (see Andy and this link https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=473166)
Cheers!
Mike
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

A quick question so when converting to 12V , can an 'O-ring' type 200mm flywheel be machined (slight diameter increased to 55mm just above the O-ring) to be fully seated properly in 'step' style crankshaft? Then one possibly has set the end play with 3 shims correctly between 0.07 to 0.13mm.

Thanks in advance.
maggiolino91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Early flywheel/cranks were stepped and used a paper or metal gasket. It was during model year 1966 that both were changed to the O-ring style.

Hi! I’ve got an early flywheel with paper gasket and a late crankshaft with metal gasket. Can they work together? Do I need to change anything?
Thank you
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Define "late" crankshaft because the O-ring style began near the end of model year 1966.

If it's the style of crank that has the much longer shoulder, then either the step or O-ring flywheel can be used. The paper gasket sometimes get used instead of the metal to fine-tune the endplay on a new build, but most of the time the metal one is chosen. (yes there was a reason for each but that was a long time ago and really hard to tell either way 5 decades later)

Last edited by glutamodo on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
maggiolino91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Define "late" crankshaft because the O-ring style began near the end of model year 1966.

If it's the style of crank that has the much longer shoulder, then either the step or O-ring crank can be used. The paper gasket sometimes get used instead of the metal to fine-tune the endplay on a new build, but most of the time the metal one is chosen. (yes there was a reason for each but that was a long time ago and really hard to tell either way 5 decades later)

Yes, I’ve a crank with larger shoulder and a flywheel step-style without o-ring...so they can work together but I have to put the metal gasket right?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Yes, a step style flywheel needs to use either a paper or metal 4-hole gasket.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

Reread this und you have your answer. It all depends on the flywheel, if it has the conical or straight contact surface.
christiancarpenter42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Older thread but think it might answer my question if the right person reads it. I just installed a 1969 1500 single port into my 1963. I used the stepped 6v flywheel from the '63 onto the 1500's crank with a new double lip seal. The engine runs great and doesn't appear to leak while running but when i shut it off it leaks a decent puddle underneath it. I figured it was the seal so today I pulled the engine and put a one piece Fel-pro main seal and reinstalled the engine. The leak is smaller but still leaking. I came across the thread and realized I had not put the metal washer on the end of the crank from the '63s engine. Would this cause my leak? If so I will be pulling it again in the morning and putting the metal disk in. Thanks.
christiancarpenter42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Anyone? I’m fixing to start pulling it back out and put a metal gasket on the pins before flywheel. I got looking through my parts boxes and found two of each but I’m assuming the metal is preferred over the paper since that’s what my 1200 had on it prior to swapping the engines. It is such a thin piece of metal (and paper as well) and the same dimensions as the crank snout that it’s hard to believe it will stop my leak but it’s there for a reason so I’m going to put it in. I’m assuming it doesn’t need any sealant on it since the old one didn’t have any. Wish me luck.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Nothing extra needed on the metal gasket.

I never liked those so called "double lip" flywheel seals. I always preferred orange Elrings.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Make certain to recheck your crankshaft endplay when adding a paper or metal gasket when one wasn't present before because this will cause it to change.

A leak due to the crankshaft to flywheel seal, whether it be paper, metal, or an O ring, will result in oil coming out near the flywheel gland nut which will foul the clutch. An oil leak which is only coming from the area between the flywheel and the case will be from the main seal, cam plug, or case parting line joint.
christiancarpenter42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. Engine is out and I'm preparing to install the metal gasket and get her back together. My stock 1200 had the metal gasket but i never even saw it because it was pressed against the snout on the dowels. The '69 1500 should have a 12v flywheel so it's new to me mixing and matching parts. I'll report back.
christiancarpenter42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

Motor back in and running like a champ. Bone dry so far after a few short drives. Changed out the trashed split boots on axels while I was in there. Next will be the axel seals unless it turns out the backsides of the brake drums were wet from the boots leaking and running down on them. Thanks for the wisdom. This forum rocks.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel 0-ring Reply with quote

christiancarpenter42 wrote:
... I just installed a 1969 1500 single port into my 1963. I used the stepped 6v flywheel from the '63 onto the 1500's crank ...

But, that contradicts the wisdom implied in this pic:

Since your 1969 would have the "Late Style (O-ring)" crank, it would seem to need the Late 6-volt (or, even later 12-volt) flywheel. But you're using a 1963 "step" style flywheel with no O-ring? And this is working (aside from an oil leak that may already be resolved)???

When a flywheel begins to come loose from crankshaft, a vibration will begin, then get annoying, and in a short while it will require fixing wallow'd out dowel pin holes (i.e. replacing both the flywheel and crankshaft Shocked !!) Been there, seriously want to avoid having it ever happen again.

My buggy has a 1500 (rebuilt to 1600) engine with a 6-volt Type 3 flywheel (similar to late 1966 Type 1 flywheel). I've been re-building a spare engine, a 1969, also from 1500 to 1600. Have been looking for a late 6-volt flywheel for the spare, with no luck. Finding a 6-volt step style flywheel is no problem. And if this is working for you, christiancarpenter42, maybe it would work for me too?? Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: