Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 - 79 seat stand side rubber covers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: 1977 - 79 seat stand side rubber covers? Reply with quote

I have a 79 vw bus, and I got points taken off at a local car show last year (bug out) for not having my seat stand side rubber covers? wth... LOL, so Im perpairing my bus now for bug out and I cannot find anyone who sells them? I can find 68-76 but thats it. Bus Depot told me the 77-79 ones are slightly wider and that they don't carry them. A few websites say they have them but when you call to order they tell you they will not fit a 79 eventhough they list it on there websites...
Does anyone know where to find them for a 79 bus? Here are a few links to the 68-76 ones.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211867765a

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/221-765A/r...m_search=1

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares..._180578.htm?crumbStartPage=4&crumbStartRow=78

Thanks folks...
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't make them for the taller, later seat stands. I had to buy an extra set of the early ones, and cut material to make up for the excess needed.
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
They don't make them for the taller, later seat stands. I had to buy an extra set of the early ones, and cut material to make up for the excess needed.

Hmmm, I may visit an upholstery shop and see how much a custom job would be. Im not liking the idea of paying $110, plus shipping, and still having to cut and install too. Can't be too much, right? If its more than $175 then I guess I'll be ordering 2 sets from my favorite Bus parts store...
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two sets of the same and cut the second set to fit is all we have. If you are going to show it and it is a Westphalia use carpet. If it is a bus use the rubber. Good luck finding a material that matches if you do it any other way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not toooo worried about it being 100% authentic you could do what I did. This is a "treadmill mat" from Academy. I think it was under $30.

1966 Beetle
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
two sets of the same and cut the second set to fit is all we have. If you are going to show it and it is a Westphalia use carpet. If it is a bus use the rubber. Good luck finding a material that matches if you do it any other way.

SGKent, that dosent look too bad at all... Yeah, I was worried about finding the same material.

Bala, that's a real good idea. Gonna have to really consider this!

I'll post up what I find out at a few local shops in my area.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant live with the seam. So I visited an old buddy of mine who does custom upholstery. $300 and it will wall be taken cared of. I'll post back with pics. Should be done before Labor Day (bugout).
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say earlier model what years are you talking about? I have a 74 that I wish to replace the seat pedestal/stand rubber. My guess is that the 76 and up with the swivel seat needs a different rubber product.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 - 79 seat stand side rubber covers? Reply with quote

New (?) product from the latest Wolfsburg West newsletter....

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211867765B
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 - 79 seat stand side rubber covers? Reply with quote

thank you - first person to install one please post photos.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 - 79 seat stand side rubber covers? Reply with quote

this looks promising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: