Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

For various reasons, I've been trying to locally source a multi conductor shielded cable suitable for use with engine sensors. No luck. A post here regarding replacement of the green O2 WBX wire showed hand wrapped braided copper wire and another suggested foil (tin foil?) as shield. Securely attaching the "drain" wire to foil shield would be a challenge and braiding copper strands by hand would take some time though at this point, I'm willing to try those options.

I know this sounds crazy, but what about using 1/4" or 3/8" M thin wall pipe as the shield? Or would engine bay heat build and transfer via the copper and damage the wire casing?

Soldering the shield "drain" wire (no pun intended) to copper would be easy but cable routing would likely be limited to mild bends or largish radius bends. Conductor(s) could be shrink wrapped? Sealing the ends would be imperative.

Thoughts?

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

all sorts of choices... what you want to search for is 'shielded twisted pair'.

one choice is CAT6 cable.. you can get it in tough shell configurations, stranded for flexibility, flooded for water resistance. but really, i had some plain ol' CAT5E hanging under my van for years and it was just fine. if it does fail, dirt cheap to replace.

i've got a coil of shielded, multi-pair control wire from a friend used for industrial control. about a 1/2" cable with many pairs.

Belden makes an array of shielded, non-paired wire in various gauges and conductors.

go to digikey.com or mouser.com and search for wire>shielded> then name your configuration. both companies 100% reliable to order from.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.

I've been searching quite a bit, emailing, calling. So far, all the local vendors [edit: and it appears, online vendors like mouser **] want me to buy a roll or box of the cable I want (e.g. -20º - 105º C). Landing a US sourced cable would likely be relatively costly. Good to know the CAT cable you ran held up. My concern is engine heat.

Neil.

** https://ca.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Multi-Conductor-P...rpZ1yx79kq

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

if you can keep it away from the manifolds, the PVC insulation will hold up just as well as other wires in the engine bay.

here's a link to some Belden control cable that is shielded:
https://www.belden.com/products/industrial/cable/instrumentation-cable/pltc-cable

but depending upon what you are trying to monitor or send data for, shielding really may not be required. for gauges, cruise control, temp monitoring, etc, it isn't needed at all. even the wiring to the ECU isn't shielded (exception O2 output), and that has digital control circuits that can be susceptible to RFI.

what are you wanting to transmit?

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

oops. i see "O2" in the title!!

-dan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

if this is for O2 sensor metering i'd be tempted to try the Belden 9451SB. the SB version stands up to 105C temp on the jacket. i use the 9451, not SB, for control circuits in facilities i wire and it's pretty tough, more so than CAT cable but is only rated for 60C.

the 9451 cable capacitance is such that it shouldn't cause issues with the high impedance output of the O2 sensor.... essentially the sensor doesn't want to be loaded down and push against excessive capacitance.

-dan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
oops. i see "O2" in the title!!

-dan

edited

Heh. No prob.

Ya, O2, RPM (crank sensor) and knock sensor signals. I tried to make this topic applicable to the WBX as well so didn't spec the other inputs.

I know the cable can be had but haven't found a local or Canadian vendor who sells by the foot. Someone kindly pointed me to an aviation parts supplier. I should email and see what the actual shipping cost is to Canada.

22 AWG though (but it may be doable. The O2 heater element would likely be the biggest draw item. Bentley shows 1.0 metric, so 18 AWG, for nearly all the wires involved)

http://www.bandc.aero/22awgshieldedtriowhitetefzelwire.aspx

"INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS
We strive to give you the best possible pricing on shipping. Any order shipped outside of the continental United States may encounter significantly higher costs. PLEASE call if you need the exact amount for shipping."

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
if this is for O2 sensor metering i'd be tempted to try the Belden 9451SB. the SB version stands up to 105C temp on the jacket. i use the 9451, not SB, for control circuits in facilities i wire and it's pretty tough, more so than CAT cable but is only rated for 60C.

the 9451 cable capacitance is such that it shouldn't cause issues with the high impedance output of the O2 sensor.... essentially the sensor doesn't want to be loaded down and push against excessive capacitance.

-dan

thanks

I think for this engine (jetta engine swap) VW used the same size 1 metric wire gauge for all 3 sensors involved simply b/c 1 metric was large enough for the O2 heater current draw. IOW, why would they source 2 different gauge cables.

I'm being kind of fussy here by replacing these corroded wires but as per your comments, the O2 and knock sensor both put out very low voltages so.... Not sure about the RPM sensor but i assume it's an inductive type pickup that generates a square wave on/off type thing so its' voltage output would also be in the millivolt range.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks Dan.

I've been searching quite a bit, emailing, calling. So far, all the local vendors [edit: and it appears, online vendors like mouser **] want me to buy a roll or box of the cable I want (e.g. -20º - 105º C). Landing a US sourced cable would likely be relatively costly. Good to know the CAT cable you ran held up. My concern is engine heat.

Neil.

Take a box of doughnuts to your local Westburne electrical supply and they likely will go into the yard and chop off the length you need. What you are describing sounds like a pretty common cable.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks Dan.

So far, all the local vendors ..... want me to buy a roll or box of the cable I want (e.g. -20º - 105º C).

Take a box of doughnuts to your local Westburne electrical supply and they likely will go into the yard and chop off the length you need. What you are describing sounds like a pretty common cable.

Ya, you'd think. The local Eecol shop didn't have anything and I'd have to buy the entire roll/box if they brought it in. Rolling Eyes

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Here are a bunch of options. Most sold by the foot.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/wire.html
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Digikey sells shielded wire in several gauges. Here is 18 guage shielded wire sold for $2.20 a meter

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tensility-international-corp/30-00335/T1248-1-ND/5270182

*edited to add link
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

While the center core is not stranded, Hence subject to long term hardening and fatigue, I would think that a length of cable TV coax would work just fine for a long time.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

just a word on knock sensors and wiring... the sensor is a very common piezo disc transducer. the same type of element is used in musical instrument pickups. they have 2 electrical characteristics that come into play..

- like a guitar with a piezo pickup, the sensor wants to have its output attached to a high impedance INPUT. this is taken care of by the manufacturer in the design of the ECU it plugs into and there's nothing we can do or not do for this.

- because of the high impedance OUTPUT of the sensor, it is susceptible to the capacitance of the cable transmitting the signal. one can literally hear the difference between different guitar cable simply because of the effect of the cable on the signal. fortunately, the voltage generator by a piezo sensor is quite large and the ECU is tuned to 'listen' to a narrow frequency range for knocking. so even tho the cable choice will introduce distortions, the system will be fairly tolerant of these distortions.

since the sensor is essentially picking up ALL sounds in the audible frequency range, the art in designing knock sensing systems is to shape the ECU algorithms to ignore all the other engine sounds except a unique signature waveform created by detonation.

the short story is that guitar cable would be perfect for knock sensor signal transmission! well, were it not for the oil/temp/physical resistance needed for engine bay wiring. pretty much any shielded cable should work. i coulda just said that in the very beginning but if you have a choice, always go with the lower capacitance cable if they publish that spec.

-dan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
just a word on knock sensors and wiring...

- because of the high impedance OUTPUT of the sensor, it is susceptible to the capacitance of the cable transmitting the signal. one can literally hear the difference between different guitar cable simply because of the effect of the cable on the signal. fortunately, the voltage generator by a piezo sensor is quite large and the ECU is tuned to 'listen' to a narrow frequency range for knocking. so even tho the cable choice will introduce distortions, the system will be fairly tolerant of these distortions.

since the sensor is essentially picking up ALL sounds in the audible frequency range, the art in designing knock sensing systems is to shape the ECU algorithms to ignore all the other engine sounds except a unique signature waveform created by detonation.

-dan

I have no idea if what Dan wrote makes this a moot point but from what I've read, knock sensor bolt torque value is somewhat critical to sensor performance and longevity.

As to wire sources, kind of embarrassing but links below are from a 'motor sport' wiring harness link I posted here. It appears http://prowireusa.com/ sells this cable by the foot:

http://www.prowireusa.com/c-58-shielded-tefzel-cable.aspx

http://www.prowireusa.com/c-158-shielded-ml-cable.aspx

Not exactly sure how this "drain wire" connector secures to the shielding but I think it is soldered on:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

that looks like a crimp connection with heat shrink, but can't quite tell.

that MIL spec wire would be fine, but might be overkill. what is your conductor list for the cable you're looking for?

-O2 signal 1
-O2 heater 2
-knock 1

etc
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
that looks like a crimp connection with heat shrink, but can't quite tell.

that MIL spec wire would be fine, but might be overkill. what is your conductor list for the cable you're looking for?

-O2 signal 1
-O2 heater 2
-knock 1

etc

Thanks. I see conflicting info on how that terminal is fastened. Yes that wire is likely overkill; these sensor wires won't be too close to engine or exhaust. But then as a point of reference, grey striped "engine" split loom is rated at ~ 150º C max so..... < shrugs >

In metric, if I'm not mistaken:

O2 signal 1.0
O2 heater 1.0 (controlled by "HO2S module")
RPM 1.0
Knock 0.5

I'm curious if I could run a physically separate unshielded high temp 2 conductor cable to O2 heater. That way I could just buy one length of 3 conductor 18 AWG; as a WAG, I doubt the larger gauge would adversely affect the knock sensor circuit.

Assuming unshielded O2 heater wires risk picking up RF, would that transfer to O2 element? But then the WBX uses separate wires for the O2 heater......

Yes I'm over thinking this! Twisted Evil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

... A post here regarding replacement of the green O2 WBX wire showed hand wrapped braided copper wire and another suggested foil (tin foil?) as shield. .....

or use this type of primary wire:

http://www.awcwire.com/ProductSpec.aspx?id=Type-GXL

or standard wall type?

http://www.awcwire.com/ProductSpec.aspx?id=Type-SXL

then sleeve it with this, seal it up with adhesive shrink-wrap:

https://leeselectronic.com/en/product/10867.html?search_query=sleeving&results=58

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

yeah, keep it simple and see if it works. bolt torque on the sensor is designed to not split the fragile piezo element but also afford a good sonic connection. tighten it "good enough" and you'll be fine.

if you get a multi-pair cable shielded cable, running the DC alongside the the sensitive circuits more than likely won't be an issue at the amperage the heater circuit uses. and many multi pair shielded cables have each pair shielded.

consider this... shielding in many instances is over-rated and can actually act an an antenna and dump more RF into a circuit if not properly terminated. some instances require the shield to be grounded at both ends, some only at one end, depending upon the issue of forming ground loops.

just try something and see if it works. i think you'll be surprised at how much you can get away with. i deal with 100,000 watt transmitters radiating into the 'transmitter shack' where all sorts of control circuits, digital and analog reside. yes, there can be issues but you can get by with many things. lightning grounding being the exception..

-dan
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

The wire I posted is the stuff VW used for the WBX 02 sensor and the stuff I use on my 95 subie 2nd 02 sensor, which I am using a stock 3 wire bosch 02 sensor for. Most sensor wires in a subie harness are smaller than 18 gauge. Its a pretty easy solution that works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: