Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

.... then sleeve it with this, seal it up with adhesive shrink-wrap:

https://leeselectronic.com/en/product/10867.html?search_query=sleeving&results=58

Thanks t3 kopf. Good to know the smaller gauge wire would likely work with the VW sensors.

Since "everything" is a ferry ride away from where I live, figured I'd try this. In looking for braided sleeve locally, ended up at local computer repair shop. Tech suggested USB cable. At $3 ea. from the "bargain bin", figured I'd experiment. I don't know if braid is tinned copper or stainless. Fishing the new wires required a "push-pull" massaging of the braid, and or course the fish wire let go 2/3 of the way through but the next one will be better. Now I have 105º C conductors. I'm sure I can crimp a terminal onto the braided sleeve. Removing the clear cover off USB cable wasn't hard. Just score the case, then pull it off. About 1/2 way through, the inner conductors et al came out easily. Three 18 AWG wires fit and I think four would still fit.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (O2): Soft M Copper Pipe? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

.... then sleeve it with this, seal it up with adhesive shrink-wrap:

https://leeselectronic.com/en/product/10867.html?search_query=sleeving&results=58

Thanks t3 kopf. Good to know the smaller gauge wire would likely work with the VW sensors.

Since "everything" is a ferry ride away from where I live, figured I'd try this. In looking for braided sleeve locally, ended up at local computer repair shop. Tech suggested USB cable. At $3 ea. from the "bargain bin", figured I'd experiment. I don't know if braid is tinned copper or stainless. Fishing the new wires required a "push-pull" massaging of the braid, and or course the fish wire let go 2/3 of the way through but the next one will be better. Now I have 105º C conductors. I'm sure I can crimp a terminal onto the braided sleeve. Removing the clear cover off USB cable wasn't hard. Just score the case, then pull it off. About 1/2 way through, the inner conductors et al came out easily. Three 18 AWG wires fit and I think four would still fit.

Neil.

Hey Neil, if you need something from Lee's and Mr. Lee won't mail it to you, don't hesitate to ask! I'd be happy to pick up what you need and send it up to you.

Call and talk to him or his kids - they are very helpful.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

Thanks Jake. Between the Sechelt Eecol and this "home made" braid, I think I have it covered. Eecol may also have tinned copper braid. As it turns out, there's *just* enough not corroded OEM O2 cable left for run from ECU to O2 plug; I only have to make one cable for the RPM sensor. edit: oops. Meant: "knock sensor".

Ironically, the wires between the O2 sensor and its' plug don't appear to have a metal shield. Given DanHougs' comments, I have to wonder if the shielding is in place to protect sensor wires from RF created by other wires in the harness and not from interference created by the alternator, plug wires etc. In this case I'm taking a gamble by running the sensor cables outside of the main harness. There might be less chance of picking up RF through inductance?

One reason for doing what I'm doing is for "learning" purposes (e.g. how to make do living in a smaller town) and to maybe help others in a similar situation.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

One reason for doing what I'm doing is for "learning" purposes (e.g. how to make do living in a smaller town) and to maybe help others in a similar situation.

Neil.

Sone notes on what I learned:

- to strip the braided shield from a USB cable, score (don't cut) the casing then pull back the casing. It's a little tricky so have more USB cables than needed. There's some leeway in terms of a given braid ID; its a little flexible that way. Not all cables have the same ID braid. From what I saw, USB cable has a nice tight braid. i.e. older computer display cable braid has too many spaces. As the braid is slipped along the new cable, it can get snagged and damaged. Cutting a slight taper at end of new cable casing should reduce snag potential. Buy a longer than needed USB cable.

- your local thrift shop will likely have old USB cables for like $ 0.50 or so.

- if applying heat shrink to the finished product, bear in mind that the cable will be less flexible. No a problem per se but worth noting.

- I found and used #18 - 3 conductor 105º C rated wire at local hardware store. Each conductor has thin multi strands. It worked for the two O2 signal wires (4 wire type O2 sensor) and was ideal for the 3 wire RPM and knock sensors.

- yes you can solder a drain wire to the shield braid but its fragile. Secure it well; you don't want it moving around.

- plan your assembled product beforehand.

I think what I made will suffice. It's interesting to note the the USB cable had a thin aluminum shield AND the braided shield but the OE cable only had the thin aluminum so this should work.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

https://www.vanagain.com/shop/oxygen-sensor-wiring-repair-kit-1
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

Question on adding shielding: Do you need to cover the shielding after you wrap the harness, or can I leave it bare?

Also, should a run a ground jumper to both ends of the wrap?

Here is the shielding tape I have

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-prod...amp;rt=rud
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sensor Wire(s) Shield (eg O2) Alternatives? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Question on adding shielding: Do you need to cover the shielding after you wrap the harness, or can I leave it bare?

Also, should a run a ground jumper to both ends of the wrap?

Here is the shielding tape I have

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-prod...amp;rt=rud

Not sure if that was directed at me but as per my post, I covered the USB cable braided shield with shrink wrap. Not ideal, as it likely limits how (small?) a radius bend it can take but it worked for my purposes. Part of it is covered by split loom but the rest just runs with the shrink wrap if I recall. Most of it is away from any real heat.

I soldered the drain ground from shield to ground at one end only.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: