Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which exhaust do I have?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Which exhaust do I have? Reply with quote

The exhaust system is one of the areas I know less about in my bus, so I thought I'd ask the experts to help me identify what I've got.

• 1979 tourist bus (GE engine)
• Plugged EGR pipe
• Stock 029 101 371 B heads with square exhaust ports
• Stock heat exchangers with square ports
• Aftermarket muffler (I believe)

Here's what I think the stock exhaust system looked like originally on my bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe this diagram is effectively the same as the parts list at http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm#251D

Note the missing catalytic converter. I believe tourist buses such as mine were not equipped with it. This is a quote from VW documentation for '79 tourist buses, translated from German:

Quote:

Changes to model year 1979

Due to the changes in emissions regulations, US vehicles will be equipped with a catalytic converter and California vehicles with an additional Lambda sensor. The catalytic converter and the Lambda sensor will not be built into tourist vehicles, so that these can be powered by leaded fuel.

And here is what the exhaust system looks like now on my bus:

The muffler reads (upside down):

Code:
52 04551
DK 81-334-378
13 03

I've no idea what the code means, but the last part (13 03) could be the production date.

I believe at some point a PO removed cross pipe #3. Perhaps it got rusted and to simplify the system a new aftermarket muffler that connected directly to the heat exchangers exhaust ports was installed.

• Does that all sound plausible?
• Did the plugged EGR pipe originally connect to cross pipe #3 after the (missing) EGR filter?
• As I don't see any VW stamping on the muffler, I believe it's not a stock one. Can someone identify it from the markings on the pictures above?

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which exhaust do I have? Reply with quote

Looks like a 79 Federal (49 state) system with a 72-74 muffler in place of the OG crossover pipe. The muffler looks like a Dansk or other late aftermarket product.

The EGR originally came off the elbow at the LH end of the crossover pipe where everything combined to go into the cat (if equipped) and muffler.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Which exhaust do I have? Reply with quote

concur - 1979 Federal with a European muffler. That is a fairly common and easy solution in non-smog states.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which exhaust do I have? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like a 79 Federal (49 state) system with a 72-74 muffler in place of the OG crossover pipe. The muffler looks like a Dansk or other late aftermarket product.

The EGR originally came off the elbow at the LH end of the crossover pipe where everything combined to go into the cat (if equipped) and muffler.

Excellent, thanks all. The DK 81-334-378 code might actually indicate a Dansk part number. I've found no information about it, other than another guy here at The Samba looking for info on it too.

I've looked more into this on the microfiches too. Good tip about the EGR, I can see where it was originally plugged now (marked with an arrow on the drawing below). The drawing shows the 72-74 muffler I've got (top) vs. the original '79 Federal setup (w/o catalytic converter in my case, bottom)

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: