Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Hello,
I've been lurking here for a few months, just getting around to a 1st post. I've been doing this stuff as a hobby for 40+ years but new to these neat little engines, always had a soft spot for them. Anyway I picked up a double cab a couple years ago from a guy a couple miles from me. It has an AE stamped AS41 1600DP. Compression was 95 on 1-3, 70 on #4 (ex was at .001 and it has a leak at cyl/head.) Crank end float was .013. It is a really nice std case and I intend on using it as is, no line bore, #2 saddle is 2.5605 max, 1-3 all 2.559. Thrust saddle is .875. Crank is also really nice std/std, will also use as is with a polish. All journals are a few tenths over low std. TIR on #2 is .0003. Oil press. was 35 idle, 50 max.

It had a flat cam stamped C20, all the lifters are dished.

Oil pump was a 19mm, isn't 21 mm correct?

Heads are a 113 101 375A with the step cut and a 311 101 375. I haven't cc'd them or disassembled but I can't find any cracks.

Carb is stock 34 PICT3, I couldn't get the thing to idle w/o backing the fixed idle jet out 1/4.

DVDA with retard disconnected and set at 7.5 static.

I should probably just rebuild as stock but since I can't leave anything alone here is my plan:

thick wall 88 slip-ins
CB 2280 cheater
Brazilian stock lifters, stock rockers
Schadek 26 mm or 21mm?
rebuilt stock heads
shoot for 8:1 CR with .050 deck
rebuild 34 PICT, don't want doubles.
rebuild DVDA
street header with quiet pack single

How's that look? This will get 1000 mi a year or so, just a novelty to drive to to a few cruise nights and sunny day drives. It's nice to be able to get a set of bearings for under 100 compared to 1000+ for OEM mains and clevite rods on the last build, a modded 930.

Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Sweet ride rodeking Very Happy ...so here's the short scoop...sounds like your engine is tired but not done yet. ..you can start by doing a full tune up and valve adjustment. ..before adjusting the valves, remove the rocker assembly and torque the lower head studs to 25ft lbs, then reinstall the rockers and adjust the valves. ..too many times I've seen the lower studs loosen up cuz they are always in the oil...this might solve your low compression reading...I always re-torque my lower studs before a valve adjustment. ..it only adds like another 5 minutes to the valve job...you have good oil pressure so I'd check the studs first.

VeeWeeman Cool
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Porsha Guy? WTF, It's PORSCHE

Last edited by lovethatconvertible on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Sweet ride rodeking Very Happy ...so here's the short scoop...sounds like your engine is tired but not done yet. ..you can start by doing a full tune up and valve adjustment. ..before adjusting the valves, remove the rocker assembly and torque the lower head studs to 25ft lbs, then reinstall the rockers and adjust the valves. ..too many times I've seen the lower studs loosen up cuz they are always in the oil...this might solve your low compression reading...I always re-torque my lower studs before a valve adjustment. ..it only adds like another 5 minutes to the valve job...you have good oil pressure so I'd check the studs first.

VeeWeeman Cool

Two things, You and I don't know what size head studs the engine has. 8mm head studs torque to 18 ft/lbs.

Oil on the bottom row of head nuts is not why they are loose more often. It is because the bottom half of the head runs hotter than the top. The bottom of the cylinder sinks more into the case and head more because of the extra heat causing the lower part of the head to loosen up. Aluminum and mag are softer when they are hot. The nuts are not backing off.

Dan
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but it's already in pieces, just wondering if my proposed build sheet looks ok.

And PORSCHE is PORSHA in German.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Idk if slip in 88's will stand up to the abuse pushing a double cab around. If you want to do 88's, get the machine in heads and slip in bottom. If you don't mind machining the case too, you can go machine in 88's, 90.5's or 92's. Slip in case, machine head 88's or 90.5's would be my choice if keeping the stock intake.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Thanks, I meant the 88's that are slip fit in the case, but the head has to be cut. Do you think that cam is good for 8:1?
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Very nice double cab and I really like the color, this was a full restore? just curious. I would go with CB lifters along with the CB cam was there a reason you went to Brasil lifters? I agree with going to a machine in thickwall, and if your budget is not so tight I would just go with new heads not rebuilt as there are many good selections out there to choose from. I am assuming you are planning on keeping it awhile even if it is an occasional driver.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

That makes a great Beetle engine, so it should do well in your Single Cab.

If you don't mind running premium fuel, you could maybe bump the compression as high as 8.5:1. The gains would be minimal though.

I would get inserts installed in your AE case for the headstuds. Then you will never have to worry about them pulling out of the case. You could get the small OD 10mm inserts, and simply reuse the studs you have. I would also open the oil gallies for "full flow" oiling if you ever wanted to add an additional oil cooler down the road.

Do everything in your power to ensure you have proper, adequate cooling capabilities. I would use a doghouse shroud if the engine didn't already have one. I added a venturi ring from awesome powder coat to a dh shroud on a 1600sp in a 70 Bus, and it helped a lot. And don't be afraid to explore a 356 generator pulley for added cooling as well. I installed a welded fan in anticipation of using a 356 pulley on the 70 Bus, but didn't need it. And obviously use ALL of the factory sheet metal engine tin, and have a new body to engine seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:

Don't be afraid of dual carbs. They're not that hard to setup and once dialed in, they shouldn't need any more adjustment than a single. I've had duals on my Beetle since 1980.

BTW.. welcome to the Samba.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but it's already in pieces, just wondering if my proposed build sheet looks ok.

Yes welcome to the Samba, And yes it's pronounced "Por" "shuh" in German and America as well, for those in the know. But it's spelled Porsche.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

I don't care how you spell porsche. Phonetic spelling is fine IMO Razz

Your #1 hosuing is .0015 over BUT that may be ok if the bearing still has .0015 press. I don't like to see less on #1...too risky IMO
The silverline main bearings, mahle cam bearings, are best overall currently available. not sure on rod bearings, clevite NLA, but mahle is pretty good for stock stuff.
AE case should be "Dual relief", and for a dual relief case oil pump should be 24-26mm OE

isn't the thrust supposed to be .866?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

I don't know my beetle head numbers (or type 3 for that matter),
But,
Are you saying it has two different heads on it?

I'd be measuring them six ways from Sunday to make sure they are similar if so..

At least make sure the chambers are the same volume,
And make sure the pushrod geometry is right for both..

It's generally preferred to the a matched pair of heads.
You can have an imbalanced motor otherwise.

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Yeah they don't match but if the chambers were the same they'd be close enough....for most things.

311 heads are early DP from type-3, have an intake guide boss and no step

113 heads are 70's DP heads, no intake guide boss, and a step in the chamber.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Don't worry about the Porsche-Portia-Porsha hassles we're giving you, it's just that we have an issue whith a frequent contributor who has a penchant for "fonetik" spelling, we just wanted to nip that in the bud Laughing

You'll get to meet him, he's actuallly great fun...

Welcome to the Samba!

So, about that 2387 you're building... Laughing
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Your build looks good, I can tell you have done some serious checking. That should be a great engine for you.

People nit-picking how you spell Porsche usually doesnt happen here. There are bigger things in life to worry about.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

You could take the deck down, and the compression up to 8.3, and it would be win-win.

Don't chance the Brazilian lifters, get them from CB when you get the cam. 100$ peace of mind, get the lightweights.

Definitely the 26 mm pump.

Prep the cam, also a lot of prep needed on the P/C and rings, and prep the heads as much as you can afford.

Make sure the heads match, if those are the ones you plan on re-using, intake ports, valve sizes, step or not, etc... go for no-step and replace valves/guides as needed. new guides all around and new valves would be nice, if your budget permits..
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Porsha Guy? WTF, It's PORSCHE

Soon as I looked at the topic I knew he did it to force pronunciation using phonetics. Look no further than Porsche and their commercials to eliminate any confusion. Here in the Midwest some perhaps most of the natives delight in mispronouncing Porsche, it got so bad the guys had some shirts made up that said “ Porsche” Then had a phonetic spelling with accent Por-sha followed by the statement it’s a two syllable word. You’d think this would help, wrong. People that can’t grasp this usually have problems with other words too, like Illinois they don’t know the S is silent. Archie bunker would be proud, Aw Geez. 😀😀😀
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

To me the "Porsh", "Por-sha" thing is related to what the native language is in the country you are in. To me in an English speaking country it's "Porsh" but I would have no issue saying "Por-sha" if I was in Germany.

There are hundreds of words and names that are pronounced differently in different languages. It's a regional thing.

Tom-ate-o/Tom-at-o is an example of the USA/Canadian pronunciation difference.

Erb (says 'Erold to 'Oward while in 'Alafax) in England and Herb here.

They are all technically correct!
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

I've found, as a former Porsche owner, it's usually people who are not Porsche people who pronounce Porsche as "porsh". My brother-in-law being one of them. lol.

Your engine build plan looks good to me. I have the CB 2280 cam in my 1600 SP. I like it. It's a nice torque-y cam. Make sure you pay attention to the thrust surfaces of the cam. Mine needed polishing... I learned this the hard way. Doh!

One thing I would recommend is to port the heads - not hog them out, just clean up the ports a bit. It takes a bit of time to do, but the results will be worth it in my opinion.

Looking forward to see your build come along. Nice truck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: