Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

The doka is a 1965 so the engine is not original, I don't even know what the original one was, 1500?

I am going back to the 1679 recipe because it will meet my needs for what I want it to do and like the original look. I have to decide on the cam, need to look at the different specs, CB2280 or one of the CB group 1 cams.

Both the Wilson book and my Haynes show the same spec for the main bearing bores. I'm just going to get it bored .020 over and be done with it along with case savers, deep stud on #3 and a deck clean up. Will use the 88 case slip fits.

If I need heads I like the Mofoco 040s.

For exhaust this had a SCAT with stock heater boxes and center muffler with dual twin tip tail pipes. The bumper was cut for the tailpipes so if I go with the street header set up I will have to fill in the bumper holes and repaint it flat black like it is now. The SCAT has the fittings for the heat risers but the hole was never drilled into the primary tubes so the heat risers were not doing a thing. I read somewhere that said using a 1 3/8 header with stock heater boxes doesn't do much because the heater boxes are smaller than 1 3/8? Makes sense so maybe I will just stick with a good stock type setup. Don't know if this SCAT is good or not.. it's usable, can just drill the holes for the risers.

Danwvw that is a nice looking engine compartment on your bus.
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Where did Wilson get the spec?

Factory specs are metric. Converted to inches:

65/65.02 mm = 2.55906/2.5598425 inches (bold = Tom Wilson's book)

65.03 wear limit = 2.5602362 inches, should be 2.5602 rounded but he listed 2.5601. Think
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

That's Not Mine, Wish it was. Mine it this one. 1800cc Type 1.
Yes 1500 I think, but unless you really make it look original with single port setup etc not much point in going with the PICT 34, Just as well go with dual carbs and Brian's engine above with the 92 bore and the DP heads with Dual carbs. I know nice ones "Carbs" are expensive but they can look pretty nice and they open things up as far as the engine and getting to the gen/alt to change it out etc.. Dual carbs are a little un-friendly though where there is no above access.

The thing about single port heads is they work well in a bus even on larger engines to a point. You could keep the Dog House fan and it's nice Aluminum oil cooler too. Just run the stock PiCT 30 or whatever the original 1500cc had. But if you go to the 92 bore in a single port probably need a modified German solex carb with a 28mm venturi.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

The 2280 cam works well for what you are doing. Another that has worked a little better for the shop I used to work at is Crower's 61002.
https://www.crower.com/cam-card-finder/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Yes, I think the 2280 is the way to go. I looked at the 2280 and the W100 and compared to stock specs. This is what I have:

intake duration at .050 valve lift with 1.1 rockers

stock 212 .322
CB 2280 222 .394
W100 236 .420
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
When I pronounce it like that around here at cruise nights I get a lot of weird looks.

Same here, the "proper pronunciation" has only been around these parts for a few years now and only by a select few of which not many actually own the cars.
rodeking wrote:
They are great cars but frankly I'm a little tired of the Porsche tax you pay for GOOD parts, machining, etc.

Come on over to the water pumper dark side, parts for my two 944s are for the most part "Porsche tax" free, not much different than VW parts really. There is a price to be an elitist and it doesn't necessarily come across behind the wheel! Wink
rodeking wrote:
oprn - do you ever say "eh" in the states? Very Happy My GF is Canadian and I'm in Canada now..

Yes it could slip out...

What part of our great country are you in?

I like your old single cab by the way, I have a soft spot for them but not a practical use really to justify owning one (too many garage queens already) so at this point I will enjoy yours and others from a distance.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

I had a 944 once. The only Porsche salvage yard very much charged a Porsche tax. Fun car though.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

VW Type 1 Engine 1679cc with a W-100 Cam:
Pict-34 with the throttle plate hole plugged up.
Dual Dellorto's,
Dual Zenith NDIX 32's like "Porsch" A's came with for the year 1957 and later.

Some links to Bus Engine Pictures: 1965 with PICT 34, 1965 with Stock Solex, DoubleCab with Dual Carbs, Samba Dual Carbs, Deluxe Stock.

Just a footnote! (I put the W-100 in a 1585cc single port bug engine and it idled fine with the PICT-30 and a PICT-28, And with the 1956 Porsche Solex PBIC-32 as a single carb it really woke up).

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

PumaVW79 wrote:
modok wrote:
Where did Wilson get the spec?

Factory specs are metric. Converted to inches:

65/65.02 mm = 2.55906/2.5598425 inches (bold = Tom Wilson's book)

65.03 wear limit = 2.5602362 inches, should be 2.5602 rounded but he listed 2.5601. Think

It is better to have specifications from the company that makes the bearing, but these companies are not very good at QC nor publishing specifications so not possible in this case. I have seen the sizes of the new case bores and new bearing OD vary .05, yet the specification range is only half that.

The important thing is the bearing fits the hole, we can agree, yes?
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

modok wrote:

It is better to have specifications from the company that makes the bearing, but these companies are not very good at QC nor publishing specifications Laughing

The important thing is the bearing fits the hole, we can agree, yes?

Agree 100%

In fact, my main measurement system is this:

Is there anything out there?
    loose
    close but no cigar
    okay
    drum roll followed by "Singin' in the rain"
    damn
    tight
    ouch!

Smile
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

"The important thing is the bearing fits the hole, we can agree, yes?"

I agree. So what you are saying is to do the job right the shop should have the bearings in hand before they bore the case to make sure they get the req'd crush, correct? Crush should be like .002" ?

oprn - I'm in Welland,ONT on the Niagara Peninsula. Have been coming here almost every w/e for six years. I've been all over Canada on a Harley Road King and a Yamaha dual sport. As far west as Winnipeg, east in NS and north in Cartwright, Labrador, that's as far north you can go on the east coast w/o getting wet. That was the last trip in 2016. Up to Baie-Comeau on the St Lawrence then north along the Manicouagan to Manic 5 then across Labrador to the ferry across the strait to NewffieLand. Then down to Port aux Basque for the ferry to NS then home. Incredible trip and incredible people.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

When I redid the engine lid in revwife’s 914, I arancged the letters to spell
P. O. R. C. H. E. S.

She didn’t appreciate it.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
rodeking wrote:
When I pronounce it like that around here at cruise nights I get a lot of weird looks.

Same here, the "proper pronunciation" has only been around these parts for a few years now and only by a select few of which not many actually own the cars.

I have never noticed anyone incorrectly pronounce the name of my favorite car . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maDhfb2915k Razz
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
oprn - I'm in Welland,ONT on the Niagara Peninsula. Have been coming here almost every w/e for six years. I've been all over Canada on a Harley Road King and a Yamaha dual sport. As far west as Winnipeg, east in NS and north in Cartwright, Labrador, that's as far north you can go on the east coast w/o getting wet. That was the last trip in 2016. Up to Baie-Comeau on the St Lawrence then north along the Manicouagan to Manic 5 then across Labrador to the ferry across the strait to NewffieLand. Then down to Port aux Basque for the ferry to NS then home. Incredible trip and incredible people.

It's a huge country, you have covered about 2/3 of the width of it, more than I have actually! At Winter-peg you are still about 12 hours east of where I live and I am 19 hours from the west coast!

Enjoy your time!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
"The important thing is the bearing fits the hole, we can agree, yes?"

I agree. So what you are saying is to do the job right the shop should have the bearings in hand before they bore the case to make sure they get the req'd crush, correct?

I do. Some shops do. If you can line bore to high accuracy and stay well within the specs then that's fine too, but still check the bearings. I found a set of Silverlines the little #4 main was made slightly too big. Other sets i have found some bearings too small.
If they are too tight you can polish them smaller, but if they are too loose really aren't any options, but get another set and try again. Yes I look for .0015-.0025 press on the #1, and #3, tho #3 I think would be OK with .001"

Seizing the #1 main, or it coming loose in the case are the most common main bearing problems, so I think it is important to check that one carefully. You are PROBABLY ok as-is, but check to be sure.
If you end up with a spare set of bearings.....that's unfortunate but worth risking. you might notice most VW shops have a mountain of bearings in stock..... and that's partly why, and there being so many possible size combinations. At least there are only four of them and they don't cost much, It's not like porsche Razz
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

A quick guide in pronouncing german car names Laughing
https://youtu.be/mG7GBGcABYQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

I like to say Porch vs. just Porsh..

Gets the hobnobs wound up even tighter that way.. Smile

And, now, it's cut the case to fit the bearings..
Some even grind the crank to fit.

What’s That Noise?!?
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Reminds me of the guy who hired someone to paint his porch...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsha guy newb to VWs needs advice Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:
A quick guide in pronouncing german car names Laughing
https://youtu.be/mG7GBGcABYQ

Our German buddy here has 2 problems, anger management issues and his pronunciation of English words is horrible! Wink

When we were in Argentina my son Jeremy was Her-r-reme'-us, our friends Arthur was Artur-r-ro and Robert was R-r-robe'rto.

Did we correct them? No! That WAS the correct pronunciation in Espanol!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: