Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve adjustment temperature
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Does it not make sense to adjust the valves on a car with steel pushrods when the engine is warm? When I set mine at loose zero cold, the lash when the car is at operating temperature of 160-180 is around .008 to .010.

Would it possibly keep the valves open when cold?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Room temp is best.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

It could.
There are complaints about poor idle when cold and if the valves were zero lash it would certainly idle worse.
If it bothers you, Scat and Web camshafts tend to have a much larger lash ramp so you can have it all.

IMo the ideal way is to have the hot lash be the same as the lash ramp of the cam, so it would be nice to know what the lash ramps are on the cam.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Just a thought....not trying to reinvent the wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

For a street engine I like HD aluminum pushrods, then it is not an issue.

Dan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

How is that?

I generally do valve adjustments in the morning when cold. And while I check them every 3000 miles, i rarely fine one or two that need adjusting. Loose zero makes it real easy.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

I'm running chormoly push rods and do 0 lash while dead cold, I find it easier to back off the adjuster and tighten till there's resistance, lock it down and spin the push rod. Of you set your lash when cold to where it's tight but you can spin the pushrod with your fingers then your valves will seat when cold. Doing it this way I still don't have any valve noise when it's up to temp.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
I'm running chormoly push rods and do 0 lash while dead cold, I find it easier to back off the adjuster and tighten till there's resistance, lock it down and spin the push rod. Of you set your lash when cold to where it's tight but you can spin the pushrod with your fingers then your valves will seat when cold. Doing it this way I still don't have any valve noise when it's up to temp.

So...you don't have any valve noise when fully warmed up with chrome moly pushrods? Set cold at loose zero?

Have you checked your lash at operating temp? Say 160 to 180 *?

The noise isn't bothering me....I would just like the lash to be closer to optimum when fully warmed up.....again, just thinking.....maybe I should stop thinking about it Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Good question!

Is that much of a change normal for steel push rods?

If so then at -30 the valves would be held open and the engine would not start!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

It’s a good audible signal when you start running hot.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

How is that?

I generally do valve adjustments in the morning when cold. And while I check them every 3000 miles, i rarely fine one or two that need adjusting. Loose zero makes it real easy.

How is what? I like the consistent valve clearance that I get with aluminum and it gives me more tune-ability. I can run it loose or tight without it too tight cold. With it tight it sounds like a hydraulic cam. With it a little loose you gain some low end but you will get some noise.

I make my own 7/16" aluminum pushrods which have very little flex. Don't get me wrong steel is a good way to go too but my preference is aluminum. If I ran drag only car I would run steel but would experiment with aluminum.

Dan
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Vanillagurilla wrote:

So...you don't have any valve noise when fully warmed up with chrome moly pushrods? Set cold at loose zero?

Have you checked your lash at operating temp? Say 160 to 180 *?

The noise isn't bothering me....I would just like the lash to be closer to optimum when fully warmed up.....again, just thinking.....maybe I should stop thinking about it Wink

It's a snug zero, I can spin them by hand but they don't spin like bearings. It might help that I also am using 10mm chormoly studs to hold it together.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

How is that?

How is what? I like the consistent valve clearance that I get with aluminum and it gives me more tune-ability. I can run it loose or tight without it too tight cold. With it tight it sounds like a hydraulic cam. With it a little loose you gain some low end but you will get some noise.

I make my own 7/16" aluminum pushrods which have very little flex. Don't get me wrong steel is a good way to go too but my preference is aluminum. If I ran drag only car I would run steel but would experiment with aluminum.

Dan

How do you gain low end with a loose valve lash? Seems like you would loose if anything because your looking lift on the valve. Are you running aluminum with double springs?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Running duration has a big impact on idle, and lash changes the running duration.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I like the consistent valve clearance that I get with aluminum

Dan

Consistent? I think in the past 15,000 miles I maybe found 3 valves out of spec... and then just barely.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

For me it is right after the morning coffee. Engine cold sitting outside then roll it in the garage. Loose Zero as long as you are able to spin the push rods seems fine. The smallest feeler gauge I happen to have is .0015.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

I think he means consistantly in spec. when hot and not what they end up.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I think he means consistantly in spec. when hot and not what they end up.

Yep, that is my meaning. I also like the lighter weight. Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

so what is loose zero? zero shouldent be loose or tight...you mean .001? I do set mine with the engine warm to zero.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment temperature Reply with quote

Cold engine, no feeler gauges. Loosen the lock nut, I like to back off the adjuster and then tighten untill I can feel the rocker tighten up and lock it down. Then check to see if I can spin the pushrod, some adjusters will tighten up when you tighten the locknut so I do it this way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: