Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

Trying to bring my 1972 Super back to stock. Found a 1972 oil bath air cleaner that I am looking at buying and I noticed that it has vaccum ports on the top that I believe should connect to the manifold under the carb. I went to my bug to see if my manifold had the fitting on the manifold and it looks like something is there, and is plugged, but looks way to big to be a fitting for the air cleaner. I do not know anything about this engine, replaced parts, history, etc. The number on the manifold is 113 129 701AF, and on the drivers side there arre 2 other sets of numbers, 12178, and below it 113 129 709G. The bad part is, that the engine has so many coats of paint on it, that I cant read the engine number on the case. Can anybody give me any info on this engine/manifold by the pics and manifold numbers? Also, the heat risers are pretty rusty but seem to flow ok , but should be replaced sometime in the future. Do any quality replacements come with the correct fitting in the manifold for a vacuum line to the air filter? Or do I need an air cleaner from another year that does not need vacuum?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

I'd tell you what that port on your intake was for, but I'm worried about instigating more uninformed biased posts following my response.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

It could originally be a bus manifold (for power brakes) ... or an autostickshift manifold.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
It could originally be a bus manifold (for power brakes) ... or an autostickshift manifold.

After doing a bit more research online, it does in fact look like it is an intake from an autostick, and since mine is a manual, the PO blocked off the port. Or, for all I know, maybe mine was an autostick at some point in its life, who knows.
I guess since that my heat risers are rusted bad, and need to be replaced, I will go with the 72 oil bath filter and purchase a intake manifold/heat riser set-up that has a vacuum port for the air cleaner.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

If you are really trying to go with a stock look, id really recommend purchasing an original manifold. If it needs it, clean it up. I am putting a coat of manifold gray high temp por15 on mine. In my opinion it looks better then new ones and the little details like this, that really make your engine bay pop and look very clean and stock. You could even go with a restored oil bath cleaner. Im doing that aswell. Good luck Very Happy
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
If you are really trying to go with a stock look, id really recommend purchasing an original manifold. If it needs it, clean it up. I am putting a coat of manifold gray high temp por15 on mine. In my opinion it looks better then new ones and the little details like this, that really make your engine bay pop and look very clean and stock. You could even go with a restored oil bath cleaner. Im doing that aswell. Good luck Very Happy

Yea, when I replace it, I will be going with an original one. Im getting a used oil bath off the classifieds here as well. Also , need to replace the rusted out Empi exhaust with a stock muffler so I can run the preheat up to the carb. And also get a thermostat. Just takes time and money to round up all the parts.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

Consider a 1971 only oil bath air cleaner. These have their own thermostat, which can be fixed if not working. Then no need to hook up to other parts of your engine.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

Don't they still have the Bug-Out in Virginia twice a year? Ought to be able to find things in the swap meet there. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

You have an open vacuum port on the carburetor, on the left side above the adjustment screws, that needs to be capped off.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Consider a 1971 only oil bath air cleaner. These have their own thermostat, which can be fixed if not working. Then no need to hook up to other parts of your engine.

I thought about that. But I found a good deal on a 72 oil bath cleaner and need to replace my manifold/heat risers anyway. I will just keep my eye out for a original one in good condition with the vacuum port for the cleaner.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

You have an open vacuum port on the carburetor, on the left side above the adjustment screws, that needs to be capped off.

The PO capped it, it just looks open in the pic. But I do need to rebuild it at some point, runs great, but the gaskets have seen better days.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Don't they still have the Bug-Out in Virginia twice a year? Ought to be able to find things in the swap meet there. Cool

Yea, I think they have it still. I haven't been, but plan on going this year, I think its in May.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

All bug and most bus single port intake manifolds will work with your setup. As long as you don't have a 40hp manifold (end pieces come out flat, not angled) you will be fine.

Yes the manifold in question is from an auto-stick. No VW buses ever came with single port engines and power brakes from the factory.

The ONLY manifold you will have trouble with is the late split bus manifold with provision for governor, and ONLY if you have an early convertible rain guard installed on your deck lid. This manifold (211-xxx-701G) is shorter by one inch to allow the airflow governor to mount below the carb, and it will cause stock oil bath air cleaners to smash into the rain tray if used without the governor. It's crazy how well VW fit all those components back there in the engine……

Single port for life!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
All bug and most bus single port intake manifolds will work with your setup. As long as you don't have a 40hp manifold (end pieces come out flat, not angled) you will be fine.

Yes the manifold in question is from an auto-stick. No VW buses ever came with single port engines and power brakes from the factory.

The ONLY manifold you will have trouble with is the late split bus manifold with provision for governor, and ONLY if you have an early convertible rain guard installed on your deck lid. This manifold (211-xxx-701G) is shorter by one inch to allow the airflow governor to mount below the carb, and it will cause stock oil bath air cleaners to smash into the rain tray if used without the governor. It's crazy how well VW fit all those components back there in the engine……

Single port for life!
Robbie

Im pretty sure mine is a dual port and I am running a 34 pict 3. So wouldnt I still need to get a dual port with single heat risers replacement, but with a vacuum port for the air cleaner?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Intake Compatibility Reply with quote

lol, sorry about that. Ignore my previous posts. I posted before fully waking up this morning.

Carry on!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: