Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Had a good time driving around today. Thought I'd put the rear seat in. I've had it out so I can watch the shift rod working.

Funny thing. The car wouldn't start. Not even turn over. I guess I've been at this a little while now because I sorta knew to take the seat out, or just lift it up a bit.

Then all was good. (I looked like a total genius too)

I'm clearly shorting something. I'll check the battery terminal cover. Or maybe it is somewhere else.....?

Anyone else have this happen?

Tom
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Check to see if you have a hard start relay with a wire that the seat has somehow messed with. There may also be a wire running over the tunnel near the seat rail that holds the seat in. Check that, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Post a pic of the rear section without the seat so that we can see the battery and wiring. May be to help u diagnose it better with a visual.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Make sure your seat bottom isn't touching your battery top and shorting it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Make sure your seat bottom isn't touching your battery top and shorting it.

Absolutely !!! A short there would cause 3 Zillion electrons to pass through directly to ground, likely would cause a fire. VW batteries have an insulator over the positive terminal for just this reason, better than a pizza box or piece of wood.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

There is a white plastic cable connector in the well under the back seat on the driver´s side. It connects rhe starter. Check if that came loose.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Not to mention all that old sisal/seat padding is perfect dry kindling!
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

I ride without my backseat bottom installed as I am the only one in the car all the time. I have been looking at the local pick and pull for a positive terminal cover that will work.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

I put a rubber mat over the battery then the seat. Jeff
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
I put a rubber mat over the battery then the seat. Jeff

I've used a heavy plastic bag and a pizza box !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

What ever works. I like a little more protection than just the caps on the terminals. Especially when people sit in the back. Jeff
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

friends car caught fire becuase of no lid over the battery. Seat was a flaming wreck after fatso sat over the battery.

Get the correct stock vw cover over the battery. the cover is also an integral part of the battery tie down battery must be securely connected to car to prevent movement, and cover must protect the positive terminal.

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

my 2cents on covering the battery/reducing fire risk & sparking hazards with rear seat

1 roll of rubberized kitchen drawer mat, some zip ties, and a lid from a storage container.
put rubber mat on top and bottom of lid

also got a battery box and cut it short enough to fit under the seat (prevent that dreaded battery tray cancer)
and got a neat stretchy velcro strap to hold the lid in place

Then just took lengths of the rubber mat and zip tied to the springs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
Had a good time driving around today. Thought I'd put the rear seat in. I've had it out so I can watch the shift rod working.

Funny thing. The car wouldn't start. Not even turn over. I guess I've been at this a little while now because I sorta knew to take the seat out, or just lift it up a bit.

Then all was good. (I looked like a total genius too)

I'm clearly shorting something. I'll check the battery terminal cover. Or maybe it is somewhere else.....?

Anyone else have this happen?

Tom

So it's been four days, have you figured out what the problem was yet?
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

There is a battery cover???? Embarassed
cloverskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but I got the fiberglass battery box from JBugs (actually to prevent corrosion on the tray). Would this be enough to prevent a fire if a fat person sits on the seat above the battery?
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

cloverskull wrote:
Slightly OT, but I got the fiberglass battery box from JBugs (actually to prevent corrosion on the tray). Would this be enough to prevent a fire if a fat person sits on the seat above the battery?

Only if the positive post is covered. You don't want anything live to get touched as the metal springs can touch both battery posts with a heavy enough person.

I took care of this issue by getting some 1/4" hard board from Home Depot and made a cover to lay across the whole bottom. Gives the seat a bit of firmness and no risk of sparky sparky action.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
cloverskull wrote:

Only if the positive post is covered. You don't want anything live to get touched as the metal springs can touch both battery posts with a heavy enough person.

I took care of this issue by getting some 1/4" hard board from Home Depot and made a cover to lay across the whole bottom. Gives the seat a bit of firmness and no risk of sparky sparky action.

The hardibacker for tile? Does it fit flush or did you have to "modify" it in spaces?
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Nope its just wood hard board. I had to cut a small notch out where a latch loop is, but other than that once the length and width are cut it sits on the cross bar.

Here is a link to the type of material. Looks like its 1/8th of an inch.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat in, no start. Out, all good. Funny. Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Nope its just wood hard board. I had to cut a small notch out where a latch loop is, but other than that once the length and width are cut it sits on the cross bar.

Here is a link to the type of material. Looks like its 1/8th of an inch.

Not available in stores, and not online Crying or Very sad Maybe the chalkboard surface they have will work in it's place?

Lowe's has it in 4x8 sizes, and there are 50+ in my local store. Weekend project.

I told my son he couldn't have any back seat passengers until we get this done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: