Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 std bug front suspension
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carguy1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

I bought my bug with what looks like lowering front spindles. I don’t have any suspension movement on road just a heavy crash over bumps. Would it be possible if the torsion bars could be rusted together causing no movement. Have no idea when or if the beam has ever been greased. What would be a way to get the suspension th move up and down? Any special grease that could unfreeze the bars? With no suspension movement sounds like front end is going to fall off over every bump or railroad crossing! At help appreciated thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

Do you have shocks installed? If so , remove them and see if it frees up.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

jack the front up, ask if the suspension then drops under its own wieght or not, if not can it be moved? if dropped when raised, is there any resistance from being pushed up that would suggest spring?

springs could be busted and doing nothing. springs, bushing could be binding, or shocks jammed stuck. probably some other possibilities also.

so get her up and the air and see whats going on. Report what you find.

Good Luck, Bug On My Not So Springy Friend!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

X 2 on the shocks - I just pulled a set of KYB Gas adjusts from the front of an early bug that rode like an oxcart. If your kneeled on the front bumper, you got no movement. I replaced them with KYB Excels...

BUT there are other things - if it looks like the ball joints have been replaced, its possible that the ball joints are bound up on one or both sides. I had that with one of my cars - Ball joints were done by the PO. The one side was fine, but the other side had no movement at all. Replaced the ball joints with correct fitting ones and problem solved.

It's a known issue that some of the aftermarket ball joints are too big and when installed, they are bound up. I only use TRW or Febi for that reason now.

Another thing is if you have an adjustable beam and the car is slammed, stock ball joints may not have enough travel. There are ball joints designed for this type of application.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carguy1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

So far no movement in my front suspension. There is shocks on the front the rest of suspension ball joints etc look like never replaced. The beam has no adjustment just dropped spindles. I can maybe get 1/2 to 1 inch of movement. None with me pushing on front bumper. Except for this suspension problem car drives pretty good for a 44 yr old car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 74 std bug front suspension Reply with quote

Hi Carguy1956 -

x3 on removing the front shocks and seeing if the travel improves on the front suspension. It is an easy check and will most likely end up leading you to purchasing new shocks. The shocks sound jammed or frozen for some reason. You need to remove them from the front beam and try pushing the front bumper down and then jacking it up to see if you have gained more travel.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: