Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Gear Stick Issues
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CircuitW1zard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

Whilst driving back from a camping trip earlier last year I changed gear and the gear stick felt like it had popped out and it swivelled in the hole. It could be pushed all the way over the the passenger side. It was concerning at the time but I managed to relocate it and get home.

I'm now trying to work out what the problem was so I've removed the cover underneath the front to have a look.

Any ideas? I can see what looks like a pin popping out in the photos below:-

Photo below is the stick in normal position:-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next photo shows when the stick pops out:-

And then another when it's relocated back in:-

Any help is greatly appreciated.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

it looks like a lot of play in the bushing.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

When the bushing wears, you get excessive play in the shifter & can cause the shifter to pop out.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
CircuitW1zard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

Thank you. Having absolutely no idea here as I haven’t worked on anything mechanical for years can anybody tell me how to fix it?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

you will need to check:

Coupler at the back
grub screws
mark then pull the shifter to check the stop plate and shifter
If that fails go inside the transmission nosecone

read: http://www.type2.com/rvanness/transmis.htm

Richard Atwell's article on the 091 which is similar: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/091Transmission.html

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

soak 17 with something to loosen it up. back it out, and you should be able to get 10 out, and replace with a new bushing. But, that is just one of many on the shift rod. 13/16 prob could stand to be replaced while you are mucking about. Kits of shift bushings are available for early/late bays. do them all, or just what tightens up your shift rod. It is all on your willingness to go as deep into it as you want, or how confident you want to be it the system. If you go deep, 24 may need some help, but quality is tough to find in that piece. maybe just leave it alone if it is good. that has threads/posts all its own if you want to dig.
CircuitW1zard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

Thanks all. I've just ordered a set of bushings from JustKampers and I've soaked 17 with WD40 whilst I wait for it all to be delivered. I'll do as much as I can. I don't need to be back on the road until late May so there's enough time to get it all sorted along with the interior refurbishment (in another thread).

It's going to be a busy winter!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

I have had mine pop out when some parking lot kid did not know how to put in in reverse. I had a hell of a time putting it back in place but doing right it (apparently) is easy. Look for the easy solution before replacing bushings etc. They do pop out from time to time. Trust me. I have 386,000 miles behind the wheel of mine.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Gear Stick Issues Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
I have had mine pop out when some parking lot kid did not know how to put in in reverse. I had a hell of a time putting it back in place but doing right it (apparently) is easy. Look for the easy solution before replacing bushings etc. They do pop out from time to time. Trust me. I have 386,000 miles behind the wheel of mine.

WW

Ugh! The smog check shop in Burbank ripped my shifter out when they went for reverse to the right and back. Then the shifter came out and I calmly spent the next hour rebuilding the shifter in their bay to make sure they remember to ask me next time. Twisted Evil

--

For future readers, if you're stranded on the road and this happens, you can help your bus get home by reindexing the shifter ball pin (red) and bending the shift rod pin plate (green) with channel locks or vise grips in the (blue) arrow direction.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: