Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I love a good break down.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Hit the highway for Phoenix last night. Admittedly i left late. Well after dark. About 50 miles out I heard a metal sound as I left a gas station in BFE. Not wanting to stop and not believing it was related to me I kept on truckin.
I hit unexpected traffic a few miles later and had to down shift. I was SOL. The shifter was floating there w the feeling of nothing attached below the floor of the van. Ouch. Couldn't get out of 4th gear. I babied it to the next exit and off into the very dark desert where I pulled out the drop cloth and my new (xmas gift) 10 bulb LED flashlight.
When I climbed under the van I immediately noticed the hockey stick hanging there w balls exposed Shocked
Fortunately the parts were all there and I just needed to bolt the parts back together and tighten it down.

Should have done this on my last road trip. The shifter is now tighter than a fat ladies socks (Terry K term). Literally was a hunting process (I didn't realize this) but now it's precise. Click click from first to second. Click click second to third. Just like moving the balls on the tranny.

Loving it. Click click! So nice when things turn out better than before. Laughing

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

My nomination for "best thread title of January"! Nobody in their Vanagon-loving mind will be able to resist clicking on this.

Often when I am tossing a dropcloth under the trailer/boat trailer/vanagon/friends car/etc I probably have a little smile thinking "Finally, something to do on this trip." It's a sickness and I know many of you have it.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

I'm sick. Very sick. Something to do is right.
Any time I can find a project or repair something, I'm in.
So so sick.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Yeah..... on a warm desert night fixing things MIGHT be OK.

My last trip West, October into November, when it was - 9 (MINUS NINE F-ing Degrees F) in early November, there was zero (ZERO) joy in working on the Van.
Door locks were frozen, doors were frozen, wind was howling...... it went into the record books as THE COLDEST SPOT IN THE LOWER 48 that day!

No thanks, I'll take a trouble free trip thank you very much!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed!

If you were near Parker where we'll likely be tomorrow night, I was gonna offer to come and help.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Actually the latest "breakdown", throwing the Power Steering and A/C belts in Central Oregon, I've yet to address.

Yep, I drove home to NJ with just the alternator belt. (2,000+ miles) Just didn't feel like dealing with it on the road.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
So nice when things turn out better than before. Laughing

Well done! The write-up was quite entertaining to read as well.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

i've had some really bad breakdowns so i appreciate the title!!

another good breakdown.. i was traveling with my son by motorcycle and his bike got a flat tire in Williston ND. armpit of humanity due to oil industry, gravel and dirt everywhere and no motorcycles or shops. he had that "What do we do now?" look and i just grinned, got out my tire plug kit, plugged the nail hole, aired the tire up with the mini compressor and we were on our way out of town within 20 minutes. earned some cred points with that one.

yup. a good breakdown is a thing of joy...

-dan
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yeah..... on a warm desert night fixing things MIGHT be OK.

Got me thinking of "Hotel California" Vanagon-style:

On a dark desert highway
Warm air on my feet
Sweet smell of coolant
Rising from the back seat
Up ahead in the distance
I saw a good campsite
My lights were stock and really dim
I had to stop for the night...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

And I said to the Captain....please ship me some line

He said... we haven’t had any decent parts, since 1969

Welcome to Hostile CA RB...

You can smog check any time you like, but you can never leave
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Dang, that's some good parody music. I was singing it in my head as I read it and it actually works!!

My 86yo Dad's an engineer, former fighter pilot and retired career international airline pilot. When I was a kid, he was never sitting still - always working on the boats, the land, the cars, the house or barn. Yesterday, I was talking to him on the phone, and he asked what I was doing:

Me: Ahhh, well I know its the middle of a business day, but I just left a junkyard with a $13 headlamp for a widow friend of ours who's headlamp broke and its $350 for a new one from the dealer. I promised, and I'm leaving town on a business trip, so I'm just out of time to do something I committed to.
Dad: Yeah? What kind of car is it?
Me: blah blah.
Dad: 15 minute riff on him also helping a buddy a few months ago. Great story - saved a buddy $3000 as a shop was going to fix a no-start on a low mile 4 year old Toyota by performing a valve job on it (yeah, right). Dad found a shorted aftermarket alarm wire in 5 minutes.
Me: Yeah, I'd have to say if I could make a living repairing stuff and the like, I'd rather do that than most anything. In fact, I think I would be right we feel the same way - I'm happiest in life when I'm solving an immediate problem.
Dad: Yeah, that's the gene and you got it from me.

So there you have it. Somehow the cares of the world drop away when I see a stranded car ahead on the side of the road and put my blinker on. You guys, too I expect.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Nobody in their Vanagon-loving mind will be able to resist clicking on this.

Yeah... CLICKBAIT!! Laughing
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Quote:

So there you have it. Somehow the cares of the world drop away when I see a stranded car ahead on the side of the road and put my blinker on. You guys, too I expect.

Classic.

I dropped a guys lower end on an outboard 10 miles off shore to replace his water pump impeller with my spare, took me an hour and saved his engine and the kids vacation. You do learn to work differently standing in water where if you drop anything, it's gone forever.

I do small Volvo jobs for my neighbors ( I hAve 9 cars within 5 houses plus 2 of my own) ...nice part of that brand is OEM parts fit and perform perfectly. They are expensive but the fitment is like Swiss watches.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Great post, with fantastic follow-ups.

Yeah, the ability to help someone stuck on the side of the road - assuming you actually are able to complete the task without some kind of screw-up leaving you looking like a fool Embarassed

Stopped behind a Subaru on the side of a country road near my home one night. The driver said his Check Engine Light was on, the motor would turn over on starter, but would not run. He had no clue why.

Having owned Subarus, I knew that sounded like the overhead cam belt had snapped. Check. Confirm. In those days before cell phones, took him to my house where he called a tow truck.

2 days later a bottle of good wine appeared on my doorstep with a thank you note!

But "ya gotta be careful"! Seems like we might need some sort of 12 Step Program. Wink

To quote AZ Landshaper:

Quote:
I'm sick. Very sick. Something to do is right.
Any time I can find a project or repair something, I'm in.
So so sick.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

Dad: Yeah, that's the gene and you got it from me.

The cares of the world drop away during a conversation like that with Dad. Sounds like a nice chat.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I do small Volvo jobs for my neighbors ( I hAve 9 cars within 5 houses plus 2 of my own)

And sometimes the payback far far exceeds the initial effort.

Years ago, we were out on a date, chatting with a senior waiter at one of our favorite local romantic french restaurants. He mentioned that his Volvo had just broken down and he was going to call a tow truck at the end of his shift. Having owned and rebuilt many examples of that particular model, I had an inkling of what was wrong. I went out, diagnosed the problem and fixed it for him right there on the spot.

After that we were gold in his eyes and a wonderful tradition was started. On most Friday nights, we would reserve a table in his section and leave the rest of the evening in his very capable hands. He'd drop two glasses of great wine and some light hors d'oeuvres at the table, then he'd chose a different fantastic off-menu main course meal and dessert for each us. After a busy week for both of us, it was absolute luxury to throttle back and simply enjoy a great dinner and conversation without ever having to look at a menu or make any decisions. When the kids had big dates, like prom, we'd have them go there and they'd be treated like absolute royalty. When he finally moved on in his career, we were all saddened.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

While I certainly wasnt helping anyone else when I repaired my shifter, I have on many occassions dropped everything when the opportunity to troubleshoot and turn wrenches presented itself.

The thing that amazes me is the simplicity of some of the issues I remedy. Im under the impression that anyone with a bit of curiosity would be able to repair most things.
Its one bolt on the leg of the chair most the time. An abvious fan belt is missing, shit here it is snapped over in the corner. Or in the case of my neighbor a little corrosion stopping a bulb from making a connection.

My brother owns property in Philly and he calls all flustered because the tenants called w a bedroom light out. He buys a new fixture and then waits a week for some guy to get around to installing it. Mad

I know its electricity and the tenant presents a liability but its three damn wires and some nuts and poss a bit of electrical tape. I know I have veered off so back to the bolt on the chair. Quite often if you just get aout and look you will see that you are dragging a box you hit with your car and your problem is really pretty simple.

But its wicked nice when its better than before!

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing that amazes me is the simplicity of some of the issues I remedy. Im under the impression that anyone with a bit of curiosity would be able to repair most things.

I have become numb to the realization that most people use technology completely clueless on how to repair it in the most basic manner. Then along comes someone who figures out this is bad and restores my faith.

Had a couple of those here, and we get a lot on the Volvo Fora.

I replaced a switch on a neighbors light (sentimental value) for which they had a hardware store quote of $100. A $5 switch and ten minutes of work.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I do small Volvo jobs for my neighbors ( I hAve 9 cars within 5 houses plus 2 of my own)

And sometimes the payback far far exceeds the initial effort.

Years ago, we were out on a date, chatting with a senior waiter at one of our favorite local romantic french restaurants. He mentioned that his Volvo had just broken down and he was going to call a tow truck at the end of his shift. Having owned and rebuilt many examples of that particular model, I had an inkling of what was wrong. I went out, diagnosed the problem and fixed it for him right there on the spot.

After that we were gold in his eyes and a wonderful tradition was started. On most Friday nights, we would reserve a table in his section and leave the rest of the evening in his very capable hands. He'd drop two glasses of great wine and some light hors d'oeuvres at the table, then he'd chose a different fantastic off-menu main course meal and dessert for each us. After a busy week for both of us, it was absolute luxury to throttle back and simply enjoy a great dinner and conversation without ever having to look at a menu or make any decisions. When the kids had big dates, like prom, we'd have them go there and they'd be treated like absolute royalty. When he finally moved on in his career, we were all saddened.

Nice post. As I age I'm finding that being able to improve someone else's day is one of the things I enjoy most in life. Someone repaying the favor is icing on the cake...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I love a good break down. Reply with quote

Yep. It is really satisfying to help out. A few days ago I was at my favorite watering hole when the bartender mentioned her tire was flat and she was calling a tow truck. I was disappointed that I did not have my bus there since I’ve got the ability to fix and inflate a flat but could not help. Bummer.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: