Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

Hey! We're pulling apart a '64 beetle transaxle. Differential, nose cone, etc. Its leaking from pretty much everywhere.

Question 1: Can I use Honda Bond (Honda gasket making sealant goo) instead of gaskets? I'd just do it but I'm not sure if that'll mess up the differential bearing clearances.. I'm a honda enthusiast and I use that stuff here and there. It's what Honda uses from the factory to seal their transmission cases. They never leak. Seems like a better option vs. paper gaskets.

Question 2: I ordered an aftermarket replacement nose cone and it's a little different. It has a threaded plug hole as well as a gasket at the tip of the nose. Seems like a better design for sealing, but the nose is something like 1/2" longer. Will it work? Or will that extra half inch interfere with the shift linkage?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the extra length but Honda Bond is the best thing ever for leaks. I would use it without the gasket.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

The diff side cover, and axle tube paper gaskets are used to set preloads, so you really need to keep them. You could try putting the sealant on the paper gaskets though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Any word on the nose cone? It's from IAP, Part number 113301205G. Supposed to fit type 1 61-72. Made in Mexico. Nose is ~half inch longer than stock.

The only way for me to really find out is to put the transmission back and run it through the gears. I don't want to go that far and find out it doesn't work.

It does have a seal on the tip. And my stocker does not. I see a brass bushing kit with the seal. Is the stocker supposed to have a seal at the tip surrounded in brass? It does not.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

Install the nosecone, and shiftrod coupler, and see if it shifts through all the gears. It's been a while since I've messed with anything pre-65, but I don't see why it would not work. If your og nosecone isn't broken, Weddle makes a bushing that accepts a seal.
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000167/1000698
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

If the Weddle unit fits, I don't see why this aftermarket nose wouldn't. Good idea, pulling the coupler from the car.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

There's no need to test anything. The replacement nose cone you got will work. The extra length of it doesn't interfere with anything.
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

Thanks!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

I think the nose cone may be longer because it has an oil seal versus the older one didn't. I did this on my 65. Plus now you can install a reverse light switch in the threaded hole and hook up reverse lights if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

Be aware early Nosecone gaskets have a portion that covers the mainshaft bearing providing a clamping force to hold the bearing firm. Sealant alone may or may not provide the same desired preload.

# 2 in this photo taken from the Gallery...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I'm wrong Bruce will correct me! Wink Laughing

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Bond instead of transaxle gaskets? Nose cone length? Reply with quote

The nose cone itself will provide the clamping.
I rarely use gaskets anymore.

Here's a tip for better sealing. Throw a sheet of 220 grit on a piece flat glass, then sand the sealing surface of the nose cone. They are always NEVER flat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: