Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Picked up one of these at Costco last weekend for $99 (MSRP is $140). Amazingly, the dimensions match that of the lower camper bed--as if it were made for use in our vans.

It packs away very compact, and the carrying bag doubles as a the pump.

Anxious to take it camping and see how it sleeps!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I can see why they called it Double-vee, but maybe Vee-dub would have been better.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I can see why they called it Double-vee, but maybe Vee-dub would have been better.

nice! didn't even consider the name relating to VW.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I'm anxious to hear how it works for you! Dragging the bulky memory foam toppers around gets old, but we are too old and achy to sleep w/o 'em...
Some people call him Maurice...
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I have had a static V for 3 years now. I have taken it on all my backpacking trips and I love it. When sleeping on my sides my hip bones never get sore. I can only imagine It being even more comfortable on top of the rear bed.
It fits up top too? I might have to do a costco run this week.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Nice but not made in USA, so I'll pass. I did source a US made version a few years back and will try to find paperwork
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Nice but not made in USA, so I'll pass. I did source a US made version a few years back and will try to find paperwork

You must have a really old zenith tv lol
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Nice - too bad they don't make one big enough for us tin tops. My wife bought one on a trip last summer expecting to crash on a floor, but ended up not needing it. So she returned it before coming home and I never saw it. Said it looked like a good concept and design. I'd also be interested in a USA made version of that - I have 4 vehicles we sleep in regularly that are all smaller.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Good on Ya, Abscate. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

...says the German vehicle enthusiast.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I'll buy from anyone who trades freely , pays wages and benefits, and understands mutual economic success is important. Germany fits as do many other countries.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Klymit is located in Centerville, Utah. They have grown fast. I first bought their pad some 10years ago. Very innovative. They seem to have great management as evidenced by statements from their employees. A group of young outdoors minded folks. My original camp pad is still in use. 10 breaths to inflate, and packs to a small enough size as to fit in the spice tray over the sink. You can call them and chat.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I have the insulated Static V Luxe that I use for car camping.
It's great.
Because its so big I use the tried and true trash bag inflating method.
A little heavy for backpacking (I take it anyway) but that does not matter so much in a van.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on these, mine just got delivered, so far it feels pretty comfortable. and it packs nice and small. I will hold on to my 3 inch memory foam pad for a bit it just takes up to much space.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

We ended up getting two Double V's- one for the top bunk where I crash, and one for the lower where the Mrs and the Boston Terrier sleep. We both find the pads to be incredibly comfortable, a step up from the two inch memory foam toppers we were using previously. Not having to have the bulky memory foam eating up space in the van is a huge bonus, as well.

The one thing we don't love about them is the bag inflation system. It's cool that it works, but it is kinda clunky, so I just end up using lungpower to fill them. The other concern that the Boston could puncture the pad with his claws. We are using both a sheet and a mattress pad on the bottom bunk to try to prevent that (I just use a sheet up top).

Anyways, if you are looking for a compact means of making the bunks significantly more comfortable, this is a great product.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I have now been on a number of trips with the Klymit double V and I am super happy, very comfortable and packs up nice and small.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Amazingly, the dimensions match that of the lower camper bed--as if it were made for use in our vans.

Maybe they were...

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I set up a camelcamelcamel for when Amazon drops price down to $85. Looks like blackfriday last year.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Not sure if they changed materials but I've had a 60lb pit bull, 50 lb border collie mix and 35lb cocker mix walk all over my static v and no puncture so far.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I've noticed them back at Costco recently--with a larger display. FYI

Happy with ours so far. I agree about the bag inflation system--a bit clunky and it does take 5 min or so to fully inflate. I guess we're sacrificing speed/energy for size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: