Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Excellent info, sounds easy to electrify it later if the pumping ritual became 'disruptive' of our bedtime ritual.👍🏽👍🏽
We wouldn't move it up top or disassemble the "bedroll" at all.
We'd fold it up with the sleepingbag, like a bedroll (over the engine) with pillows too,
then fold the bed back into the bench,
all one quick operation.

Then on to the coffee ritual... Wink

Even if it didn't remain in the van I'd like to have one of those around for tent camping.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Sodo have you replaced the foam in the westy cushion yet? Ours was a rock and needed a topper but when we replaced the foam we can now sleep comfortably on it with no topper.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I've had mine for 16 months (?) or so. No leaks, pretty easy to set up and super comfortable. My wife who used to stack up all sorts of pads on her side (bad back) likes it too. A+
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Sodo have you replaced the foam in the westy cushion yet? Ours was a rock and needed a topper but when we replaced the foam we can now sleep comfortably on it with no topper.

That's an idea....
The foam sure seems thick enough to not "need" a topper.
So it's not us "just getting old" but the foam actually hardening?
Now wouldn't that be a blessing?

OK I found this thread about westy bed foam replacement:
New foam for bench seat and rear cushion. Upholstering soon

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Excellent info, sounds easy to electrify it later if the pumping ritual became 'disruptive' of our bedtime ritual.👍🏽👍🏽
We wouldn't move it up top or disassemble the "bedroll" at all.
We'd fold it up with the sleepingbag, like a bedroll (over the engine) with pillows too,
then fold the bed back into the bench,
all one quick operation.

Then on to the coffee ritual... Wink

Even if it didn't remain in the van I'd like to have one of those around for tent camping.

ive used ours for tent camping it was comfy there as well!
but yeah, half way deflated you could bundle it all up no problem and itll save you some time re-inflating as well. once you pump it up once or twice you get the hang of using the bag, its a super quick process.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
dobryan wrote:

That's an idea....
The foam sure seems thick enough to not "need" a topper.
So it's not us "just getting old" but the foam actually hardening?
Now wouldn't that be a blessing?

OK I found this thread about westy bed foam replacement:
New foam for bench seat and rear cushion. Upholstering soon

This is the foam we used. I just cut it to fit in the rear cushion and also did the seat back foam. I left the seat bottom foam as is since we sleep with our heads to the back.

Mattress foam is personal though. What is comfortable for us may not work for you....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W67PAPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Had a double size air mattress and it was great--when I was alone. With two of us it was like being on a ship at sea every time the other person moved. Wife hated it and now use the 2" memory foam topper. but yes, it's bulky and so on.

This looks interesting. Does it have the waterbed-ship-at-sea issue?

joetiger wrote:
I have this thing on my upper bunk and, even with it just lying on top of plywood (lined with hull liner fabric) it's really comfy. I don't know if it packs up tight; it stays folded back up there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0UVV8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like others, we have the bed all made up with sheets, blankets and comforters and fold it up behind the seat so at bedtime there is nothing to really do. Hated having to make up the bed from scratch each time with the air mattress.

Which fork in this road to take? Oh, life is so hard.

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Yes that's why I wanna know if it can be inflated with electricity.
Not sure if I want the screech of an air pump just before winding down to bed..... ???
Maybe an on-board tank of 140psi.....
If the tank of compressed air is about the same size as the inflator/stuff sack, and has 10x atmospheric pressure it stands to reason it might be the same as 10 bags.

DuncanS wrote:
Does it have the waterbed-ship-at-sea issue?

Klymit says this on their site: Side Rails: Integrated into the patterning and construction, they provide a secure, comfortable sleep by centering you on the pad and inhibiting air movement while tossing and turning.

But Costco says this about the Klymit: The body-mapped V chamber design limits air movement, maximizes comfort, and keeps your tossing and turning from ruining your partner’s sleep.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since it is just one common chamber.
Perhaps if inflated hard.
But that's not comfortable on an air mattress.
An air mattress is comfortable when it flattens to the bottom sitting on it, but you float when laying on it.

Maybe Costco has Klymit's old description, wher Klymit has since "softened the claim".

At least they address it, most mattress-makers avoid the subject of tossing/turning at all in their sales material.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

We are using two of the Kylmit Double V's. One on the top bunk and one on the bottom. Wife sleeps "upstairs" and I sleep "downstairs". The dimensions are a perfect match for the standard Westy mattresses. We use fitted full size sheets to keep the air mattresses in place on top of the foam mattresses. They definitely make the beds much more comfortable.

You can inflate them very quickly with the storage bag or using an electric inflator. I prefer to use a small 12V Coleman inflator. When deflated they stow away under the bench seat along with the inflator.

I like the idea of memory foam but the space required to store them while traveling or when using the rear bench seat makes them impractical for us.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Planning to pick up one of the Klymit mats this weekend and give it a try.

Friday I'm flying from Kansas to the northern edge of Wyoming to buy a Passat Wagon. Plan to drive part of the way towards Denver that day, then sleep in the back of the car. So I'm planning to buy one of these mats to sleep on. I figured that we can then try it out in the Bus down the road, to hopefully be an acceptable replacement for the bulky foam topper I mentioned in previous posts.

I sorta thought the wife would balk, but when I told her the plan of buying this for the trip with intention of hopefully using in the Bus, she was on board! Whew.

I really like the idea of how much these can collapse down vs. the big ole topper, so I'm hoping it will work out.

Now that we have a baby who sleeps in the space above the engine (it's almost the same dimensions as his crib, we have to sleep upstairs and that makes the topper all the more of a pain in the butt when traveling.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I've have the Klymit Double V for three years and its super comfortable, easy to inflate and easy to store. A keeper.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

We purchased one of these Klymit Double V mats prior to our last camping trip. So we only have two nights sleeping on it yet. Pros are its compact size when deflated, fits the upper and lower Westy beds like a glove and how it's possible to adjust the firmness by how much air one puts in it. The downsides are the crunchy noise it makes when rolling around on it and, for some reason, we found it "moved" several inches down the bed after a night's sleep. Maybe a better fitted sheet will help keep the mat from migrating? The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

For inflating, I have a small USB rechargeable air pump similar to the one offered by Klymit (https://klymit.com/products/klymit-electric-air-pump?variant=31722977165402) that works awesome. Small, fairly quiet and inflates the mat quickly. Highly recommend!
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
I'm anxious to hear how it works for you! Dragging the bulky memory foam toppers around gets old, but we are too old and achy to sleep w/o 'em...

thought it was just me. I have one topper split in two so i can roll them up with those cellophane material-type wrappers. Can fit both in the bottom of the back closet and i sleep like a baby. maybe it's just being out in the woods, too, but such good sleep on that and my two person sleeping bag.

We tried some Alps Mountaineering lightweight series thermarest type deals that velcro together but my back hurt so bad they lasted one trip. I've seen this model at Costco in the past and been curious.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm on my second Klymit and both have had issues with leaks. It's really frustrating (try finding a pinhole leak - whew!) and makes me wonder whether it's time for a real mattress topper. Like others, I prefer to leave the bedding intact when putting up the seat as it makes bedtime much less of a pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Stopped at the store north of SLC on a spring trip to the Swell. Had an issue with an older backpacking sleeping valve, the staff was very helpful. Offered to replace with newer air pad with a choice of two different models. Once a tech got involved he was able to unstick the valve and has been working ever since.

Suggest you contact Klymit about their warranty. Check out the warranty https://klymit.com/pages/warranty-policy and fill out the Warranty Return Authorization form https://klymit.returnly.com/

Picked up the double V pad at Costco last winter and its a real game (sleep) changer. No rolling into wife and we both toss around a lot while sleeping. I also use a USB pump, cheap and effective.

Dan
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I did end up buying a single person Klymit mattress for that trip I mentioned last fall.

I was regarding it as a test before buying the double mattress, meanwhile the wife was mildly miffed that I'd bought a single rather than the double, cause now we would have to buy the double! Duh. I shoulda just got the double. Perhaps the smallish store I bought it at in the smallish town in Wyoming didn't have doubles; I don't remember for sure exactly why I ended up with the single.

Anyway, I was surprised that I slept pretty good on that mattress in the back of the Passat wagon. I'm a side sleeper and it did support me well enough that I didn't notice my hip on the floor of the car. I did wake up in the night, but I believe that was primarily because I'd gotten cold rather than mattress comfort.

I did find it to be a little noisy as someone else mentioned, but I think I agree with the assessment that the pros of the space saving outweigh the cons of the noise. That may be less of an issue if it was set up with sheets and blankets in a Bus rather than me just being in a sleeping bag.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I purchased a double V on the recommendations of many users here on the samba. I finally had a chance to use it this past weekend and was very impressed with it. It fits perfectly up top and on the bottom bed (I slept with it up top this time) and I loved the additional support. What I love even more the the compactness of it. I don't even bother rolling it up and putting it back into the included stuff sack: I just deflate it, fold it in half, and keep it stored up top when I fold up the upper bunk bed. Its super thin so the top still comes down with plenty of room.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

I have used mine only once for a 3 night camp out and it certainly made sleeping in the WESTY much more comfortable.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

PSA: The pad is currently on sale at REI, with an additional 20% (code LABOR22) for members. Comes out to about $84, which is $40 less than I paid for it just a month ago.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/215581/klymit-double-v-sleeping-pad
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
gryffon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Klymit Double V Inflatable Mattress Topper Reply with quote

Have had one of these for a few years. No deflation issues, doesn't take up precious space. I used the bag to pump it up the first year but now use an ultra small Giga Pump 2.0 (got a great deal) to pump it up in about 20-30 seconds. We cover it with an old Coleman flannel lined sleeping bag which makes it softer and less crinkly when rolling over.
When on the road I just deflate and fold it up with the sleeping bag, sheets, etc and put it behind the seat instead of putting everything away and have to completely setup the next night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: