Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Sep '56 oval project
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

So I bought my first beetle project this week and I'm quite stoked about it Very Happy The car have a lot parts, but also missing a few key parts. The previous owner drove it to this garage 12-13 ago, and started to take it apart and applied the horrible rust protective green (hope it comes off easy). My immediate plan is to get all the big upgrades it got in the 60s reversed, get it all back to working condition and just enjoy my oval Cool I think the original colour look like some kind of silver, but have no clue whether the interior is original or not (ordered the birth certificate today). Would very much appreciate input about the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Youve quite a project ahead of you..good luck.
Keep us posted witn updates.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Under the hood looks like Polar Silver to me. But why was the Vin plate painted over? Is that rust proofing material slopped in the spare tire well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Under the hood looks like Polar Silver to me. But why was the Vin plate painted over? Is that rust proofing material slopped in the spare tire well?

I thought Polar Silver too, but can't find any pictures of a Polar Silver car with the same interiour that I have. And yes the spare tire well is all covered with some rust proofing material.
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Cleaned the transmission today, very pleased with the result. Had a blast at the local "wash it yourself" with warm highpressure water with soap, definitely taking big parts for cleaning there in the future. While cleaning it, a lot of what seemed like black paint appeared, is the transmission black from the factory?

When finished:
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Quite the project! Look forward to seeing it come back to life!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

The reassembly have begun Very Happy Had to source a lot of bolts that had gone missing after the disassembly 12 years ago, but with the help of some locals and WW I now believe I have what I need so far. Got it on four rolling wheels and preparing for the body to be put back on, so I can have a rolling car when it goes to the welder, can't wait to get the oval window back in and some minor rust repairs done.

Fittet what I believe is the original steering box and new rubber brake lines as the left one was cutted and the right one was too short Rolling Eyes

The old spring plate cover was very bad, and I only had one! Left one was removed some time but I couldn't find it among the parts.

Bought new ones with new bolts Very Happy Also new bushings. It's nice to work with new things sometimes, looks odd though.

Pulled the original nails and nailed down the new seal a bit harder in the original holes, worked better than expected Very Happy

As it sits know Cool
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

That trans came out awesome. I should do the same thing to hold me o we until I can get a totally fresh one.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Like the tires. I usually take a big screwdriver, heat it with a propane torch and put holes in the pan seal. Doors are wrong or at least the door handles.
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Doors are wrong or at least the door handles.

Yes the door handles are wrong, I have found silver paint under the door cards so I believe they are original to the car. Original ice pick door handles is one of the things the old owner had bought for the car, he actually bought two extra sets of doors, don't know why as the original doors are good Smile
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Remove those broken bolts for the body at the rear of the chassis before installing the body.
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Remove those broken bolts for the body at the rear of the chassis before installing the body.

Yes, a job I wasn't looking forward to do, therefore waited till the very end. But it had to be done. The tool in the pictures only worked with one bolt, two others I had to drill almost everything out and peel the rest out. But the fourth one was a real pain in the a**, as I broke a 2 mm drill half way through Rolling Eyes Try drillling away a drill, not easy. The solution was drilling close to the broken drill, after about 20 worn out small drills i got through again, only this time off center. Then drill the new hole to 4 mm so my diamond file would fit, and file away the broken drill, just the filing took about an hour! Now as my hole still was off center, I decided to drill bigger and rethread the hole to M12 x 1,75. Because of the broken drill I used two evenings. Only positive side about this is new experince and some new tools I hope I don't have to use again.

Aaaand tada Very Happy

58 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Is this only one car? The dash is an oval but the pic showing the back window and engine compartment look like 58 or 59. The red garden hoses are drain tubes only in 58 and 59 models. I just picked up a 56 and it’s the same color under the hood. I’ve also been searching color charts to figure out the color. In some lights it looks a little green but diamond green looks too green. I’m thinking polar silver too.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

The seats/interior is from a 58/59, i believe. Seats are in general equal as oval.

Only original 56 color that matches the front, is Polar silver. It can be difficult to find a good picture, because it changes a lot in the sun, and many cars with newer paint are a little off.

Can the body have been put toghether of 2 cars at some point, or is the big window grafted in?

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Yes this is only one car, the big window is definitely grafted in as I can see the welds, it got modified in the early sixties, it seems like all later parts/modifications are 58/59, it may be that they got all parts from a 58/59 that had a front collision??? Seats are 58/59 as they don't have the threaded pin on the rails. Still waiting for the birth certificate to confirm the paint and interior. I took som new pictures of the engine compartment today while reuniting the chassis and body after 12 years apart. Would very much like any input if there is anything else than drain tubes that is wrong in the engine compartment, how is it supposed to be?

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

It could have been a black or gray market car. The demand for Beetles in the U.S. was so great that it wasn't uncommon for importers to update the rear window of older cars in Germany and ship them over as new (black market) or late-model (gray market) cars. The birth certificate will tell the story of where the car was first sold.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
It could have been a black or gray market car. The demand for Beetles in the U.S. was so great that it wasn't uncommon for importers to update the rear window of older cars in Germany and ship them over as new (black market) or late-model (gray market) cars. The birth certificate will tell the story of where the car was first sold.

Very unlikely as it's first time registered in Norway 29 January 1957.
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Cool ride ! I’m also working on a 56 ragtop semaphore car
Rokseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

The oval is now rust free and looks like an oval again Very Happy Removed all the later details in the engine compartment so it should be correct now. Also replaced the rear bumper mounts as they where very rusty and had a bad repair in the past. The birth certificate arrived the other day and confirms the Polar Silver Smile, but says the interior could be grey cloth OR beige leatherette Confused The wait time was 5 months.

Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: My Sep '56 oval project Reply with quote

Rokseth wrote:
The oval is now rust free and looks like an oval again Very Happy Removed all the later details in the engine compartment so it should be correct now. Also replaced the rear bumper mounts as they where very rusty and had a bad repair in the past. The birth certificate arrived the other day and confirms the Polar Silver Smile, but says the interior could be grey cloth OR beige leatherette Confused The wait time was 5 months.

Most cars to Norway was cloth, due to trade restrictions that led to lowest possible value on imported cars. The importer got an amount of money they where allowed to buy cars for back in these days.

Car restrictions after WW2 lasted until autumn 1960 in Norway. Only people who needed a car at work could buy, or if they had earned money in foregn currency, like sailors did. Thats why most cars in Norway are well used.

Lykke til videre! Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: