Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camp Scooter: practical vs cool
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which camp ride would you pick?
HONDA SPREE
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
HONDA CT70
76%
 76%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 26

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

When we camp we don't typically stay more than 2 or 3 days at any location. But sometimes it is a bit of a hike to the latrines. I know a bicycle would make the most sense, but would like to be able to make it into whatever town is near by to get more supplies without having to break down the van.

So I have been looking at 2 options:

The honda spree
Weight is about 90 lbs and would be the best option if I had it on a hitch carrier on the rear. Not cool but gets the job done. This is the most practical and sensible option.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The honda ct70
It weighs in at 155 lbs. Not sure how much strain it will put on the rear end. The rear bumper I am having made has an integrated hitch. It is definitely more cool. I think the aftermarket and part availability is better for the ct70.

What camp rides do you guys have? Which would you pick between the two?
They are both automatic which is good for my GF to be able to ride.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

We carry two mountain bikes now. If eventually we want something that can go a bit farther or transport us more easily my first choice is an electric bike. They can be pedaled, they’re quiet and relatively lightweight. They’re getting better every year.

There are several threads here showing motos being carried on hitch racks:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624106

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Have you thought about an electrick Bike. They can get 35-40 miles on a charge.. also could be charged with solar... thats the direction I'm thinking about.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Jim. I saw that thread. If I didn't get the bumper with integrated hitch I would have gotten burleys hitch. I do have OME shocks/hd springs and I also have some spring pads for some adjustments.

I looked into e-bikes but I would have to keep it charged so I would have to be near a hook up... or have it inside the van while im driving to charge it? My first choice was the folding di blasi electric bike. I would even need a hitch carrier.

I honestly could go with either. I can pick up both bikes so I wouldn't need a ramp for the hitch carrier. The spree would of course be easier.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Michael I did look at electric bikes. The ct70 and spree are both a lot cheaper. And I don't have solar set up yet and don't want to have to wait on a charge. Also if an electric bike for whatever broke down I have 0 ability to trouble shoot it. With a carb'd scooter/minibike I could at least work it out. And I will be carrying jerrycans with me so fuel will never be an issue and it will always be ready to go if and when I need it.

The electric bikes honestly would be the best choice. I may have to go back and take a look at it. It would be quiet too so I could still ride it to the latrines during quiet hours at camp sites.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I looked into e-bikes but I would have to keep it charged so I would have to be near a hook up... or have it inside the van while im driving to charge it?

My wife's electric bike has a detachable battery which can be charged while off the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Between the two I'd go for the CT70, they go about 10mph faster and are increasing in value.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Trail 90 are decent too. They are all over priced. You can probably find a XT250f for the same money.

I put a 250# Husky on my GW bumper. No issues. The van handles really well with it.

WRT practicality: Its always nice to have a backup mode of transport. Especially if you break down. Need a part 30mi away, just go for a nice ride vs calling for a tow. Plus, bikes are fun
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I am trying to keep the weight under 200#. I should also add I'm looking at a 1991 ct70 so as far as gaining value it's at the low end compared to the 70s. The ct90 seems like a good choice but it might be overkill for what I need. But the size might make it more comfortable to ride.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

More my style:
https://newatlas.com/gulas-pi1s-worlds-fastest-ebike/51800/

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I would go for an electric bike. Much more neighbour-friendly on the camping site.

And if you are on a camping site with latrines you probably have shore power as well so you can recharge it... or?

However, if i were to choose a gas powered scooter for my syncro, it would have to be a Puch (made by the same company as the syncro itself):

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

FWIW, I've been flirting with the idea of adding a 68 Honda CT90 to my collection just for the ease of setting up camp and having transportation while the bus stays set up.
This would be on a Bay Window of course, and I'd much rather create a mount for the front. Or carrying it in the back of my single cab for when I go tent camping.

Ideally, electric makes the most sense. Quiet, light, and practical.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

And if you are on a camping site with latrines you probably have shore power as well so you can recharge it... or?

Lots of public campgrounds here have pit toilets but no power or showers or running water.

The E bikes do cover some ground, lots of them in use for food delivery in New York City.

It does weigh a bit more than a trail 90, but you can get a Yamaha XT225 for $1200 pretty easily, tough as nails, can travel at highway speeds decently and gets about 80 MPG, weighs about 250 pounds. I had a Honda XL 70 when I was a teen, I put 5000 miles on it, pretty consistent 50 MPG and had a much lower top speed than an XT225.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Honda Ruckus might get you the best of both worlds. No idea on the weight though...
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I was very close to picking up two Honda CT70s for the westy until I stumbled across the Honda ST90. Wanted one for the front and one for the rear. The Trail 90 was my experience as a kid but seemed just a little bigger than I wanted for the planned use. The ST90 seems to be the perfect option. Completely street legal and I put collectors plates on. Honda only made them for three years but all parts are very readily available. I scored two a week apart in near mint condition one with 1k miles and one with 1200. Think I paid $1200 for each. They can be found on CL and online auctions.

Will post a pic as soon as my wife teaches me how to post non VW since cannot use the gallery. Last time my wife posted not using the gallery, now those images are gone and the thread is kinda dumb without the trip pictures.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

The first gen Honda metropolitan can also be had pretty cheap these days.
They weigh about 175lbs and share a ton of components with the Ruckus which I can only assume weighs about the same.
Also with a little work you can shave a little weight and make them not look so dorky so you can be the hippest cat scooting to the pooper.

We just sold my wife's Metro with about 2000 miles on it for $800 and it was pretty mint. I paid $500 for the one above in pretty beat up shape and turned it into what you see.
There is a new metro available that is fuel injected and all that jazz.
As such I think it has dropped the prices of the early Metros.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

However, if i were to choose a gas powered scooter for my syncro, it would have to be a Puch (made by the same company as the syncro itself):

I used to ride a '67 Puch 250 like this one. I put BMW roundels on it to look cool, but then again I also rode an R80/7 at the time.

I can't remember, but I might've sold it to a Norwegian immigrant. They take all the cool shit over here. heh

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I'd second the Honda Ruckus. It's newer, has electric start and a kicker just in case the battery is dead. It's pretty quiet with the standard muffler also you get storage options. The area under the seat is good (it flips up) and there are aftermarket items to enclose this space for storage. With aftermarket footpegs added, you can use the middle for a bag of groceries or in my case, a full backpack to get you to the trailhead and back to the van after a hike. Prices for used ones can be as low as $1,300. I picked this one up for $1,800 with 450 miles on it.

The only downers are that it is a trendy bike that's light and could get manhandled into a truck and stolen (lock it up good). The other thing is that it tops out around 35 mph, so certain roads/streets would have to be avoided so you don't back up a bunch of cars. It's funny that my motorcycle riding career started with a 1300cc '70 Harley Electra Glide then to a 700cc new Triumph then to a 500cc '68 Daytona then to a 200cc Moto Parilla and finally to a 50cc Honda. The downsizing trend continues!

vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I am also a fan of the electric bike idea.
This one is my commuter.
It will do about 23 mph with little effort from me.
And it's Awd.

I am working on designs now for a light electric motorcycle for the very purpose of hauling a pair of them on the back of the van for the pretty much the exact same reason as the OP.
working on about 40 or 50mph top speed and a 20 or 30 mile range.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
The other thing is that it (Rukus) tops out around 35 mph

I thought they could hit 45 or so? My boss has a couple of them that end up on jobsites sometimes, one is certainly faster than the other, we chalked it up to the slower one not running right, but maybe the faster one has been "tampered with"?

The Rukus is a pretty nice little bike though, don't even need a motorcycle license to ride one.

It's kinda weird trying to get your MotoGP going on one though, no gas tank to hook your outside knee on, so you can just sit on the side of the seat when cornering hard Laughing

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: