Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camp Scooter: practical vs cool
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which camp ride would you pick?
HONDA SPREE
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
HONDA CT70
76%
 76%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 26

vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Yeah 35-37 is about the top end of a stock ruckus or metro.
I did a variator swap on my wifes and it would do 45-50 with her on it.
Not so much with me on it.
With a bit more work you might hit 50mph with a 225lb rider
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I definitely looked into the ruckus but it's so close to the 200# mark I wrote it off. I like the idea of a quiet camp ride. But at the same time I wont be ripping around moto gp style. The st seems to be similar to the ct70 and share a lot of the same parts
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I like the idea of a quiet camp ride. The st seems to be similar to the ct70 and share a lot of the same parts

The Rukus has a modern exhaust system and will be notably quieter than 70's technology, but if the weight of the rukus is a deal breaker the quiet factor isn't of importance of course.

I will always love the old honda stuff though, my first motor vehicle was a 1972 Honda XL70, got it when I was 15 1/2, as you could get your motorcycle learners permit at 15 1/2 and had to wait for a drivers license till you were 16.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

I love the ruckus but I want to be able to easily lift it. I can lift 200 lbs but 150 is a lot easier. Parts support for the ct70 is awesome. The new metro that someone mentioned and the vino scooter are both 150. And it needs to be automatic so the gf can use it. I postponed the ct70 purchase today to think over what route I really want to go.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Cool? With a torch, make this puppy fold flat and run it with the Honda generator and an electric motor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And get rid of the extra steering wheel and toddler perch. Toss in a shortened SA grill with a couple of Hella Rally 3000s. A basket in the back to carry a couple of cases--what more could a fella need? Air cooled, rear engine--sound familiar? Could also save weight and folding complexity with killing the seat and having rails that would accept the existing T3's.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I love the ruckus but I want to be able to easily lift it. I can lift 200 lbs but 150 is a lot easier.

Modify a harbor freight moto rack for the trailer hitch and just roll it on and off so you could go a bit heavier for newer quieter technology?

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

Roll the scooter/rukus on from one side, then to unload move the ramp to the other side and roll it off, no lifting required.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Gah, I might have to. I just found a ruckus less than 3 minutes on Craigslist. 2017 low miles.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

This will be riding on a Vanagon eventually...

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

That is awesome lol.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

+1000 Awesome.

I can hear the collective WTF? from Europe all the way across the pond.....
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

This is how I roll. The DT's are hard to come by but Derbi's are out there too. Light and fun.

My kid just picked up his first scooter as well.. but we won't be using it for camping..

9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

Love the GS. Used to rail around the track on one "sort of" just like that. Loved it for club level racing.
light and fun.
Easy to bang bars and not garage sale it.

That one looks pretty cherry too.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
jberger wrote:

Love the GS. Used to rail around the track on one "sort of" just like that. Loved it for club level racing.
light and fun.
Easy to bang bars and not garage sale it.

That one looks pretty cherry too.

Not to hijack the thread.. but it is pretty cherry. 1989 with 5k miles. Original tires..
It also didn't mind the ride home on the rack at 75mph.. Shocked
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
would like to be able to make it into whatever town is near by to get more supplies without having to break down the van.

Think hard about what exactly you expect to carry on this auxiliary vehicle. Having hauled a CT70 on my van a bunch, I can tell you it's not much good for carrying anything more than a small backpack and maybe a bundle of firewood or case of beer in your lap. That is the max. If you step up to a 200+cc street legal bike, like an XT225 as jackbombay suggested, you can actually carry a good amount of stuff and cover some real distance at a reasonable speed (60mph).

If you just want to goof around, cruise the campground or putt-putt into town to grab some wifi, etc than the CT70 will deliver big time!

Check the tongue weight rating for your chosen integrated hitch on your bumper. I found them all to be lacking which is why I went Burley.

Cool project! Have fun and happy motoring!
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Sigh all plans for the camp scooter has been put on pause. Had a break down lol.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

This is what Im going with. Trying to stay close to the same vintage of my van. Plan on color matching it to the van. It will do 35 so good enough to go to the camp store or running around

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
1989 with 5k miles. Original tires..

Please tell me you have replaced the tires. Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
This is what Im going with. Trying to stay close to the same vintage of my van. Plan on color matching it to the van. It will do 35 so good enough to go to the camp store or running around

Where's the "like"-button when I need it Very Happy

Puch scooter is my favourite as well.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

Michael I am flirting with the idea of the puch there is a lot around our area.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Camp Scooter: practical vs cool Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Michael I am flirting with the idea of the puch there is a lot around our area.

What I found about these, is there are tons of parts. Upgrade the motor, they can reach 45 mph (a little scary). The one I got, someone did a lot of work on it, new ties, crank and exhaust. Not sure about the jug and pistion. It quick on the PO, i found the woodruff key on the flywheel was sheared. Hoping thats all it needs. Waiting for one to arrive....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: