Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Bay Fuel sender
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Well, I tried dropping the original float in, with float arm pointing directly to the back and it hits the bottom before it is totally seated in the hole. This doesn't happen when it's pointing to the driver's side.

As you can see, the spades on the replacement aren't pointing in exactly the same direction as the originals:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And if you look close, you can see the teeth aren't aligned either:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this a defect? Or do I have the wrong sender?
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

I just installed one and found the same thing. My old VDO sender had the float towards the driver side. I went to install the new one but the teeth were off, as you stated. I thought it might hit the side of the tank it was that far off. So, I flipped it around with the float to the passenger side and it lined up much more centered in the tank. I hope it works OK that way, don't see why it wouldn't.
Not enough hair on my head
Not enough beer in my fridge
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Dude on youtube bent the float arm to the side to align it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXuSANkCaI

Is that the best work-around?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Goge - There's a baffle on the pass-side of the tank, I'm pretty sure it would hit it if I did that...
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Oops yeah that probably wouldn't work. I gots no baffles.
Not enough hair on my head
Not enough beer in my fridge
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
German Supply is VDO, so that sounds like the preferred way to go.

I was scratching my head for quite a while thinking why VDO might have changed the design. I've now realized from your pictures... you don't have a VDO sender.

It's a JP Group aftermarket sender, the same one as the guy on the YouTube video. So if you bought it as part # 211 919 051 A, you've got the correct (but crappy) sender.

I also noticed that in your pictures the new sender does not have the sealing O-ring (you can compare it with your old sender, with the cracked black O-ring). If it didn't come with your sender, you'll need to purchase it separately, but you definitely need it, as you don't want to spill fuel or its vapours.

As per R vs swing being linear, after Colin's comment I've double-checked it again: most of the curve is linear, but indeed windings are tighter at the ends. Towards full the wiper does barely go into the tighter packed winding, but towards empty, the wiper does go a few degrees into the tighter winding area.

My mistake was to measure only on three points. Sometime this weekend I'll post a new diagram with more sample points.

Decode your M-Plate
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

So I also discovered that if you dry-fit this sender without the gasket, it locks in nice. When the gasket (o-ring) is on it, it's really snug, but if you tap the slots it will actually go past the locking point to the next slot, where it will be loose again... not a well made part.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

So now that I've bent the arm to better align with the original position of the float, it causes it to 'rotate' as it rises to point down a bit when full. I know this messes with accuracy, but is it really going to make that much of a difference? Is there a better way?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
So now that I've bent the arm to better align with the original position of the float, it causes it to 'rotate' as it rises to point down a bit when full. I know this messes with accuracy, but is it really going to make that much of a difference? Is there a better way?

How exactly did you bend the arm and what do you mean by 'rotate' and 'rises to point down a bit' in this context?

Decode your M-Plate
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

I don't have a pic at the moment, but I bent the float arm at the 'elbow' to the side, so that it pointed down the length of the tank. As above, the whole sender is rotated because the locking tabs are off of the originals. So with the arm bent to the side, it's sideways to the arc motion of the arm, therefore the float 'rotates' a bit. I've already started to get the tank back in, so I guess I can let everyone know how it goes?!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay Fuel sender Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Sure, do let us know how it goes once you've finished, I'm sure others will find it helpful as well.

As I said, I can't help with the last (mechanical) part of the calibration/compensation, but I finally put together the sparse notes I had taken when I did the electrical calibration of mine on this separate thread.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: